Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:29 PM

169 posts, read 1,081,078 times

Advertisements

maybe the cost reduction is due to lack of sales. The only have a few exotic barbies on the market. Most asians, hispanics, Native Americans, ect...those who do not identify with black, prefer to buy barbies closest to the tone of their own skin color. White barbies come with all different color hairs, and are usually overtanned, making them more identifiable to consumers. Black is, just black....and really only identifies with just black people, who are a small minority of the population. Not to say they arent an important part of the population, but still a minority.
Would we even be having this conversation if they made an East Indian barbie? The East Indian kids would be jazzed but who else would really be buying these barbies if most cannot identify with it.

Last edited by Las Vegas Mommy; 03-09-2010 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: note
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 01:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

PC media at it again.
I prefer to think of it as same old same old stupid ____!

Of course an intelligent reporter might ask if Walmart over ordered the black dolls, what were the sales figures of the their different stores and the demographics of each. Then we might have something to discuss.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:48 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,055,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

PC media at it again. This is non-news. If this were a system-wide price change it might be worth reporting, but if it's a local price change then maybe it's because the doll isn't selling well in this particular neighborhood and so to help clear out the inventory they lowered the price.

It's called BUSINESS, people.

What and have them lose an opportunity to play a race card? Egads!

Old 03-09-2010, 01:53 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,563,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nujabes View Post
Less demand, indicative of the impact of racism on young black females. Nothing broke my heart more than the study that showed that many young black girls chose white dolls because they had been taught to believe that whiteness was more attractive.
That is really sad, same story in Africa. And I don't understand it as there is simply no objective foundation to that belief. The 70s must have been great when black women wore their Afro hairdos and their blackness in general with pride.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:05 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,141,738 times
Quote:
Unfortunately a lot of people chose to ignore it. Suddenly we're post-racial. Riiight.
Yep with their usual " liberals at it again pulling the race card" talk. People will like to believe race in America is a non issue, but that is some jibberish bs. We still have areas(small towns usually) where its not safe for a minority(especially blacks)to enter after a certain time. And then there is the bias housing market. I don't think its a coincidence that many areas with a significant black population are cheaper than a lot of majority white areas, even if both areas are home to a lot of middle class to-upper class people. The difference is the demographics. White Flight hasn't went away either. The Midwest is great example of this

Old 03-09-2010, 02:12 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,437,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Walmart is raising eyebrows after cutting the price of a black Barbie doll to nearly half of that of the doll's white counterpart at one store and possibly others.

Walmart: Black Barbie Sold Cheaper Than White Barbie at Store - ABC News
Why is this even an issue? The original Barbie (the original idea of the doll) is the one in higher demand.

The demand for the "ethnic" Barbies has been(and is now) lower than that of the original blond haired/blue eyed Barbie which is still considered the "ideal". I was watching a news story (I think on ABC) about a week ago about the cosmetic surgery in China and it featured the Barbie store in China where the Chinese girls wanted the blond Barbies and not the ethnic Asian Barbies.

Welcome to Barbie® Shanghai - the first Barbie® Worldwide Flagship Store! (http://www.barbieshanghai.com/en/index.html - broken link)

Old 03-09-2010, 02:13 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,289,017 times
Michael Jordan basketball costs more than plain Wilson basketball. Mr Wilson was white.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,766,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Yep with their usual " liberals at it again pulling the race card" talk. People will like to believe race in America is a non issue, but that is some jibberish bs. We still have areas(small towns usually) where its not safe for a minority(especially blacks)to enter after a certain time. And then there is the bias housing market. I don't think its a coincidence that many areas with a significant black population are cheaper than a lot of majority white areas, even if both areas are home to a lot of middle class to-upper class people. The difference is the demographics. White Flight hasn't went away either. The Midwest is great example of this
1. It is illegal for Realtors to steer clients.

2. Location and condition have quite a bit to do with pricing as does demand. It is not a "bias" as you state. It is the market and the people purchasing in the market whom determine what makes values in any area rise/fall.

3. What you call the "black" areas were likely originally "white" areas that the cities and occupants failed to maintain. This is usually true not only of the residential properties but commercial property and schools in the area as well.

4. When minorities protest or riot what do they do? Decades of evidence shows that they destroy their own neighborhoods via burning cars/houses looting stores, ect... . When people receive a paycheck from the government and do not have their own funds invested in their homes and environs, they have no motivation to upkeep them. Why would anyone expect areas like this to increase in value and why would decent people of all races not choose to leave such areas when they can afford to do so.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:23 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,393,671 times
Quote:
Less demand, indicative of the impact of racism on young black females. Nothing broke my heart more than the study that showed that many young black girls chose white dolls because they had been taught to believe that whiteness was more attractive.
You're way off base there, dude!

The 41 yo woman I raised from the age of 4 is a prime example and (much) later vindicated and proven with her own children.

My daughter is Vietnamese (i.e. not white). When she was 4, she wanted a doll. I took her to a toy store and told her to pick out any doll she wanted. She went straight to the blond dolls. Many years later, my daughter did the same thing with her own daughter who was then 'bout the same age as her mother before, who by the way you could never tell is half white, and guess where my grand daughter went to?

For clarification, when my daughter was then 4 we were living in Hawaii and she had been in country for a few weeks, literally, only. Nobody teaches anything about race in Vietnam at least not in a sense implied by your post.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:28 PM

150 posts, read 86,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
You're way off base there, dude!

The 41 yo woman I raised from the age of 4 is a prime example and (much) later vindicated and proven with her own children.

My daughter is Vietnamese (i.e. not white). When she was 4, she wanted a doll. I took her to a toy store and told her to pick out any doll she wanted. She went straight to the blond dolls. Many years later, my daughter did the same thing with her own daughter who was then 'bout the same age as her mother before, who by the way you could never tell is half white, and guess where my grand daughter went to?

For clarification, when my daughter was then 4 we were living in Hawaii and she had been in country for a few weeks, literally, only. Nobody teaches anything about race in Vietnam at least not in a sense implied by your post.
How am I off base? I don't even get what you're trying to say. First of all, you try to counter what I say with an anecdote. Secondly, your anecdote involves a Vietnamese child, not African-American.

Why Black Girls Still Prefer White Dolls - DiversityInc.com (http://www.diversityinc.com/content/1757/article/1301/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies