Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:19 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
I answered your question by my quote in your post.

Why is it that most Foreign born children excel in American schools while the average white/black, whatever natural born American child doesn't?
I'm not interested in the NBA, nor am I interested in your generalization about foreign born children, which you didn't provide any statistics or reasons to believe you. Further, I don't see how either is relevant to why felons who've paid their debt to society cannot vote in the state of Mississippi.

What is the rationale for denying voting rights to felons who've paid their debt to society, who have done their time, paid their fines? Why is this a law? What is its basis? You haven't answered those questions.

Basically, the only answer you've provided to me concerns the disproportionate amount of blacks in Miss. prisons than whites. You implied that African Americans commit more crimes than do whites. For the sake of argument, let's assume this generalization of yours is true. Why then do African Americans commit more crimes than do whites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 09:21 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Anything the GOP can do to limit the number of poor and middle class voters helps them out at the ballot box.

Whether it be limiting polling places, ID requirements, disenfranchising felons, etc.

They are all for it.
From a historical perspective, it has been the democrat party that has promoted voter disenfranchisement, with such things as the Jim Crow laws.

The poll tax was a democrat idea in Texas,...as well as many other southern DEMOCRAT-controlled states.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:34 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,536 times
Good point, cdne.

If you take a look at Miss. democrats from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, their platforms were virtually indistinguishable from the GOP agenda today. Some jumped sides in the early 1970s, i.e. Trent Lott.

Further, the majority of Miss. state leaders in 1964 were in the Democratic party, as were the voters who elected them. In that national election, however, these Miss. democrats overwhelmingly voted for Goldwater against fellow Democrat and Southerner Lyndon B. Johnson. Mississippi is one of the few states Goldwater carried in that election.

No party holds a monopoly on racial tolerance or intolerance. Equally as many Miss. Democrats of today support the disfranchisement of felons who've paid their debts to society.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:39 AM

938 posts, read 1,230,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Why is it that most Foreign born children excel in American schools while the average white/black, whatever natural born American child doesn't?
that's easy. Social circles. most foreignors stick to themselves and their communities, not allowing their children to be too 'westernized'.

Ameircan parents(for the most part) just don't care and they expect the Public Schools to raise their kids. not so with foreignors. they are able to afford to home-school so their kids get better focus.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
If you like standing in line, and have the time to do it.

Getting a driver's license in Mississippi, same as getting a state issued ID card, is a day-long process--it's done at the same place. Can you afford to take a day off of work to do this? What about an employee who has to be at work before the ID office opens and who gets off work after it closes?

Whose fault is that? Hire more people to get the work done. simple.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Are you suggesting that whites don't engage in the same criminal behavior?
No, I'm ASKING a question:

Why are African Americans in Mississippi selling so much drugs and committing so many crimes to strip them of their freedoms and power to vote in the first place?

Quote:
But what is the rationale for denying voting rights to a felon who has paid their debt to society? Say person X commits felony, goes to jail, serves their time, pays their fines, why then can they not vote? What is the rationale for a system such as this?
the Rationale is simple. you mess up in Mississippi, your right to vote is zapped. how hard is that to understand? so what do you do to combat that?...YOU DON'T MESS UP.

seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Next topic?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:56 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,005 times
Quote:
Good point, cdne.

If you take a look at Miss. democrats from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, their platforms were virtually indistinguishable from the GOP agenda today. Some jumped sides in the early 1970s, i.e. Trent Lott.

Further, the majority of Miss. state leaders in 1964 were in the Democratic party, as were the voters who elected them. In that national election, however, these Miss. democrats overwhelmingly voted for Goldwater against fellow Democrat and Southerner Lyndon B. Johnson. Mississippi is one of the few states Goldwater carried in that election.

No party holds a monopoly on racial tolerance or intolerance. Equally as many Miss. Democrats of today support the disfranchisement of felons who've paid their debts to society.
It's simple for the partisans to just spout the party line and talking points, but there are faults on both sides, just as you stated. One party's disenfranchisement is another party's voter......

Old 03-10-2010, 10:03 AM

150 posts, read 87,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
No, I'm ASKING a question:

Why are African Americans in Mississippi selling so much drugs and committing so many crimes to strip them of their freedoms and power to vote in the first place?

the Rationale is simple. you mess up in Mississippi, your right to vote is zapped. how hard is that to understand? so what do you do to combat that?...YOU DON'T MESS UP.

seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Next topic?

Seems pretty cut and dry to you? Maybe it's because you don't have any interest in thinking about the issue critically.

Your first comment is insulting, but let me lay it out for you. Mississippi is one of the poorest states in the country. Many people in poverty end up making the mistake of turning to crime in order to make a living, or using drugs to escape from their problems. It's wrong, but people make mistakes.

You get locked up, you lose the right to vote, you have difficulty getting a job. The cycle of poverty continues. Removing the right to vote only furthers this disenfranchisement and ensures that policies that would change the state which create this cycle of poverty will be difficult to enact.

Meanwhile, people like you stand there and smugly say things like DON'T MESS UP without thinking about the issue in a more nuanced way. If you've ever been in a black ghetto for any period of time you would realize that escaping the way of life that many lead there is extremely difficult.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:24 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nujabes View Post
escaping the way of life that many lead there is extremely difficult.
Difficult, yes, but hardly impossible. Thousands do.

But, every time I hear someone make the argument that blacks selling drugs is a racial characteristic (and let's face it; that's what he's implying) I always harken back to an experience I had many years ago in Baton Rouge.

I drove a truck and was waiting to deliver a load of potatoes at a location in a bad, bad neighborhood just off Florida Blvd. As I sat there in the truck and watched, drugs were being freely dispensed right in the middle of the street. The customers would drive up, buy some dope and be gone. They didn't even have to get out of their cars.

Yes, it was blacks doing the selling, but who do you think the customers were? Nearly every one of them were wealthy, white suburbanites! I don't think I've ever seen such a parade of BMW's and Mercedes in one spot at one time anywhere else in my life!

With that as an example, I must ask this: If blacks selling drugs is somehow an indication of what all blacks do, or some kind of moral problem, what does that say about their white customers?

Old 03-10-2010, 10:33 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
One more thought about my post above.

Let's pretend the cops swooped down on that street and busted up the dope deals. The dealers, who were black, get charged with trafficking, a serious felony, and will most likely end up at Angola, the state pen.

Their white customers, though, are only guilty of simple possession in most cases, which will most likely draw probation, a fine, drug counseling and/or community service with an expunged record when they complete all that. They're well to do, probably without a criminal record, perhaps even known to the police personally or be kin to someone of political importance. The criminal justice system will cut them some slack, but not so for the dealers. Additionally, there are mandated charges and prison time for dealing, but not for possession in most cases.

So...the black dealers go to prison. Their white customers essentially get off free. The crime statistics would reveal, say, 6 felonies committed by blacks and, perhaps, a dozen or so misdemeanor possession charges, if any at all. By looking at the statistics which result from this little scene, it would be easy to conclude that "blacks commit all the crimes" when, in fact, white criminals outnumbered them by at least 2 to 1. They WERE all criminals, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies