Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:47 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,284,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
.....So...the black dealers go to prison. Their white customers essentially get off free. The crime statistics would reveal, say, 6 felonies committed by blacks and, perhaps, a dozen or so misdemeanor possession charges, if any at all. By looking at the statistics which result from this little scene, it would be easy to conclude that "blacks commit all the crimes" when, in fact, white criminals outnumbered them by at least 2 to 1. They WERE all criminals, right?
That's like comparing drivers who get caught speeding to those guilty of a hit and run. There are degrees of guilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 10:56 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,303,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Don't worry. For every Dem vote lost to felons not being able to vote, the liberals will bus in at least 3 to the polls after promising them neverending entitlements that keep them living in govt housing, using food stamps, and not having any motivation to change their situation. That is the Dem strategy. Build as much dependence on government handouts as possible, and make sure the poor stay that way so they always vote Dems.
And they got ACORN to help 'em out too. FOXNews.com - ACORN Registration Workers Charged With Felony Voter Fraud

Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 AM

938 posts, read 1,227,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nujabes View Post
Seems pretty cut and dry to you? Maybe it's because you don't have any interest in thinking about the issue critically.

Your first comment is insulting, but let me lay it out for you. Mississippi is one of the poorest states in the country. Many people in poverty end up making the mistake of turning to crime in order to make a living, or using drugs to escape from their problems. It's wrong, but people make mistakes.
So you're making excuses here. I see.

Quote:
You get locked up, you lose the right to vote, you have difficulty getting a job. The cycle of poverty continues. Removing the right to vote only furthers this disenfranchisement and ensures that policies that would change the state which create this cycle of poverty will be difficult to enact.
Question:

Were they voting before they got locked up? or is there an excuse for this too?

Quote:
Meanwhile, people like you stand there and smugly say things like DON'T MESS UP without thinking about the issue in a more nuanced way. If you've ever been in a black ghetto for any period of time you would realize that escaping the way of life that many lead there is extremely difficult.
I see. So You want me to sympathize with clear thinking fools who can't think clear enough to stay out of trouble and face the consequences if they do get in trouble? not gonna happen.

And I came from the ghetto. it's not hard at all. just people like you make it hard by making up a milllion excuses why you can't make it out. I grew up around your type. not sure where they are now. probably still complaining and blaming "whitey".

like I said....NEXT TOPIC. nothing more to see here.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
But, every time I hear someone make the argument that blacks selling drugs is a racial characteristic (and let's face it; that's what he's implying)
what? are we talkiing about black folks going to prison and losing their right to vote in Mississippi or are we talking about some
"we shall overcome" BS?

Quote:
what does that say about their white customers?
are the white customers gettin' caught? whose out there til the wee hours pumping juice. white boys or black boys in Mississippi?

clear the air once and for all.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:07 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,053,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Anything the GOP can do to limit the number of poor and middle class voters helps them out at the ballot box.

Whether it be limiting polling places, ID requirements, disenfranchising felons, etc.

They are all for it.
True.

That's horrible about Mississippi, but I think the only answer is to send more kids to law school and business school and let them change the situation in the state that way.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
True.

That's horrible about Mississippi, but I think the only answer is to send more kids to law school and business school and let them change the situation in the state that way.
they gotta stay outta jail first. and that;'s the issue here. WHY are they racing to the jailhouses?

Old 03-10-2010, 11:13 AM

150 posts, read 87,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
So you're making excuses here. I see.

Were they voting before they got locked up? or is there an excuse for this too?
Assumption, no proof, ignored.

Quote:
And I came from the ghetto. it's not hard at all.
Outright lie. "It's not hard at all". The poorer you are, the harder it is to gain wealth.

Quote:
just people like you make it hard by making up a milllion excuses why you can't make it out. I grew up around your type. not sure where they are now. probably still complaining and blaming "whitey".
like I said....NEXT TOPIC. nothing more to see here.
You grew up around my type? I doubt it. You know nothing about me, don't make me laugh. I do not live in a ghetto now, I am simply aware of the reality of the conditions there, whereas you choose to pretend that everyone who is impoverished wants to be that way, like Mr. DeLay.

32,816 posts, read 19,391,920 times
its with in the states rights. period the end

35,016 posts, read 39,053,009 times
Quote:
they gotta stay outta jail first. and that;'s the issue here. WHY are they racing to the jailhouses?
No, it's not the issue here. Please reread the OP.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:15 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,750,246 times
I think once a person pays their debt, they should have all the same privileges as non-felons.

This site is damning proof we need prison reform: Prison Nation - The Something Awful Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies