Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,074,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
IF there is paternity leave, which is not the case in all cases, it in the US is not remotely as long as maternity leave.
yawn. This is getting really repetetive and stupid. Why do mothers struggling and not being able to work as many hours as men and being less likely to get a promotion or raise get you off? This is a pointless issue. I would agree that women who have had to take time off for birth in a fiscal year shouldn't deserve consideration as much as a male who worked that many hours. At the same time there are women, mothers or not, who work as many hours as men and are more productive who get passed up. It's a lot like Affirmative Action in reverse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 07:15 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
What the hell does maternal instinct have to do with anything? Would you rather a woman hate her child? I have a feeling that might explain a lot about you...
I can't rep you at the moment, but literally, I laughed out loud. It wasn't just a chuckle. It was a hearty, 2 -3 second, belly shaking laugh.

Quote:
Let's ignore every other "gap" like health expenditures, life expectancy, college %, and focus on pay gap and related ideas. Basically what it all boils down to is women wanting to have children, have work accomodate them, but then expect to be on the same track towards CEO as the man who worked full time the entire time.

Is that rational?
No. It's irrrational for someone to be this wrong about pretty much every topic they've discussed on City Data Forums. Please, God, I ask for one thing. Never open a topic on steak. I love steak dearly, you see - but a topic opened by you on steak would most likely put a taste so foul in my mouth, I could never enjoy nor look at a prime piece of beef in the same way, ever again.

That is all.

First of all. You're trying to understand a woman. Have you ever read a woman's magazine? I have. in these magazines they try to help women understand themselves. Now think - if you can - why would somone who is understandable need a magazine - or Oprah to understand THEMSELVES? Hrmmmm? (P.S - Thats a joke.)

A man is like a pond in the deep forest. A trout may dimple its surface from time to time and a beaver slowly but surely gnaws down his trees and build a snug little lodge. Birds sing in the edges of the adjacent meadow, and cows drink from its placid waters.

A woman is like the Ocean. One day, it's calm, sunny, slightly breezy and beautiful. The next, it's gale force winds, 20 foot waves and terrible in its magnificence.

Last edited by 70Ford; 03-10-2010 at 07:24 AM..

Old 03-10-2010, 07:20 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Do you really want to discuss the Nobel Prize?
I guess you thought better of that, then?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:26 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,419 times
Quote:
yawn. This is getting really repetetive and stupid. Why do mothers struggling and not being able to work as many hours as men and being less likely to get a promotion or raise get you off? This is a pointless issue. I would agree that women who have had to take time off for birth in a fiscal year shouldn't deserve consideration as much as a male who worked that many hours. At the same time there are women, mothers or not, who work as many hours as men and are more productive who get passed up. It's a lot like Affirmative Action in reverse
Do you have any proof of this, that women who work the same hours, same experience get passed up? You dismissed absolutely every article in support of my arguments. Now it's your turn, produce this evidence..

Old 03-10-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I can't rep you at the moment, but literally, I laughed out loud. It wasn't just a chuckle. It was a hearty, 2 -3 second, belly shaking laugh.
Thank you. It's nice knowing I brightened someone's day. But all the credit should go to the poster I was responding too. Without his words of wisdom my material would not exist.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Do you have any proof of this, that women who work the same hours, same experience get passed up? You dismissed absolutely every article in support of my arguments. Now it's your turn, produce this evidence..
Quote:
Women are more likely than men to work part-time. However, most gender wage comparisons leave out part-time workers and focus only on full-time, year-round workers. A close look at the earnings of women and men who work 40 hours or more per week reveals that the wage gap may actually widen as the number of hours worked increases. Women working 41 to 44 hours per week earn 84.6% of what men working similar hours earn; women working more than 60 hours per week earn only 78.3% of what men in the same time category earn (Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics). Furthermore, women may work longer to receive the promotions that provide access to higher pay. For example, among school principals, women have an average of 3 years longer as teachers than men do (Source: National Center for Education Statistics). So it is hard to argue that women’s lower earnings are simply a result of women putting in fewer hours per week, or even fewer years than men.

Gender Wage Gap -- Male-Female Pay Difference

Old 03-10-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:

So can you find me specific examples of two people, one man, one woman, working in the same company, same hours, same performance, same title where the man is getting paid more?

Can I have solid examples of this happening? I know of fields where women make a lot more money than men (ie bartenders)..

Or are you going to consider the part time law partner who isn't making much as the partner who is working 70 hours a week? You think they should be paid equally? And why would a woman agree in a partnership agreement to make less than someone who works as much as her?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
So can you find me specific examples of two people, one man, one woman, working in the same company, same hours, same performance, same title where the man is getting paid more?

Can I have solid examples of this happening? I know of fields where women make a lot more money than men (ie bartenders)..

Or are you going to consider the part time law partner who isn't making much as the partner who is working 70 hours a week? You think they should be paid equally? And why would a woman agree in a partnership agreement to make less than someone who works as much as her?
I'll take the Census Bereau's word for it. And no I personally don't go around asking people what they do for a living and how much they make.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I'll take the Census Bereau's word for it. And no I personally don't go around asking people what they do for a living and how much they make.
Which comes from averaging all salaries, and doesn't take into account choices that people make. Women choose lower paying fields. how do you propose fixing the "problem"? Tax men more heavily? Force women to go into higher paying fields?

How would you solve this given you cannot even prove that women get paid less for working the same job, same hours, etc?

It's from averaging all salaries.

Feminist lies.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Which comes from averaging all salaries, and doesn't take into account choices that people make. Women choose lower paying fields. how do you propose fixing the "problem"? Tax men more heavily? Force women to go into higher paying fields?

How would you solve this given you cannot even prove that women get paid less for working the same job, same hours, etc?

It's from averaging all salaries.

Feminist lies.
Did you read the stats. It broke it down by money maid per hours worked. Kind of baffling considering women are more likely to have a degree than men.

Weren't you just saying women only want CEO and high ranking positions? Now you're saying they choose low paying fields?

And I'd hardly consider the US Census Bereau "feminist"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies