Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should americans have national ID cards?
yes 47 37.30%
no 74 58.73%
not sure 5 3.97%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:21 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,380,591 times

Advertisements

Honestly, not sure how I would feel about a national id card in the USA. However, I did live in European countries that had the national id card and it never felt creepy. In fact, it was incredibly useful. Not to mention that on a couple of instances when I "lost" or misplaced my card it was mailed back to me. Something I never expect to happen state side.

American suspicion will probably keep this national card idea from ever coming into effect. But I have wondered about some of the glaring holes in our lack of a "national" system when it comes to identification and id's. I've worked in childcare a lot, so basically every time I shift state residence I need to pay a 75 $ fee for my "background check" in order to qualify for jobs. Not only does this make employers appear cheap, imo, it also reflects a poor national surveillance of individuals regarding their "backgrounds." A national id card should also be able to reflect the multi-state life of many American individuals, including their criminal and DMV record in each and every state they have resided in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 10:43 PM

3,810 posts, read 4,685,928 times
The biggest problem I would have is waiting in line for hours just to have this done. It's bad enough waiting at DMV for a drivers license or the post office for a passport. Imagine having millions of people getting a ID.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:03 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,178,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
The biggest problem I would have is waiting in line for hours just to have this done. It's bad enough waiting at DMV for a drivers license or the post office for a passport. Imagine having millions of people getting a ID.
I would imagine a phase in period would take care of that. I can't see anything happening where everyone needed to get something "right stat now!". LOL>

Old 03-10-2010, 11:17 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,305,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Stop whining already. You all already have ID's. This is simply a different one. Fingerprints are taken everywhere, not just for state ID's. And where's the outrage there? Didn't think so. Our ID's are useless. Otherwise we wouldn't have 20 Mil. illegals working in our country.
I'm all for those new ID's!!
I agree. People are always complaining about illegal immigrants but when something like this card is proposed that can help with that, then it's an invasion of privacy. You can't have it both ways. Aren't they supposed to be bar coded cards that future employers can easily check for stolen, lost or obsolete cards like they do with credit cards now?

Old 03-10-2010, 11:19 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,441,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
"Papers please"

This is not Nazi Germany, if I am breaking no law, I am under no obligation to identify myself.
Sure you are.

Want to get a job? You have to identify yourself.
Want to vote? You have to identify yourself.
Want to make a major purchase anywhere? You have to identify yourself.
Want to get a driver's license? You have to identify yourself.
Want to file tax forms or registration forms? You have to identify yourself.
Want to fly anywhere? You have to identify yourself.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:52 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,170,826 times
Yes, available on a voluntary basis.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:10 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,905,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I agree. People are always complaining about illegal immigrants but when something like this card is proposed that can help with that, then it's an invasion of privacy. You can't have it both ways. Aren't they supposed to be bar coded cards that future employers can easily check for stolen, lost or obsolete cards like they do with credit cards now?
absolutely right.

i do think the initial reaction (even my first reaction) is to see this as an invasion of our privacy but when people stop to think about it how is it really different from social security cards, only with a better mechanism to stop fraudulent use?

if it winds up saving americans money in the long run and stops the fraud, it would be well worth the aggravation.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:19 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,288,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
PS and FYI I do not have a social security card. Haven't for years. It's never come up.

But you have a number, don't you? Don't try to make some disingenuous point here. You know what a social security number is for and what you cannot do without it.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:26 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,314,229 times
It is laughable that anyone think a national i.d. card is going to accomplish anything different than the excisting immigration laws that are already ignored.
In the end, it will just create another bureaucracy.
No conservative in their right mind could think this a good idea,while liberals will think it doesn't go far enough and want tattoos and microchips in addition to the card.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,507,768 times
unsure but leaning yes.
it would hopefully put an end to all those stolen social security numbers.. on the other hand it would create yet another ginormous bureaucracy, and would probably eventually be used for virtually everything.
we were promised that SS numbers would never be used as ID in the first place, and we can see today how that worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies