Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:22 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,258,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
I didn't even vote for him, but I would say he has gained an individual here for his "base." Your hatred for him works in mysterious and convoluted ways.

By the way, I live in a military community. I know plenty of soldiers who really did not feel swayed either way in the last election, feeling that their trajectory of deployments and assignments really would not be affected much by the leadership. There are many of what you would call "liberals" in the military and day to day they engage in far greater issues than you could possibly imagine, or have the courage to step up to.
They all better vote progressive this fall since so many of the under 29 people that voted for the first time in 2008 say they aren't going to vote this fall or in 2012. Those people have been completely disillusioned by the fact that they thought Obama could do all the things he promised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 09:22 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You mean the democrats had a filibuster proof majority.

When was Franken seated?
Franken was seated in July, however at that point Kennedy's health had already taken a turn for the worse, and did not make any more appearances in the Senate. Byrd also missed quite a bit of time due to illness around this time, as did Maryland Senator Barbara Mikulski (who seriously injured her hip during the summer). It wasn't until late September when Paul Kirk was appointed to Kennedy's old seat that 58 Democrats were actually in the Senate.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
They all better vote progressive this fall since so many of the under 29 people that voted for the first time in 2008 say they aren't going to vote this fall or in 2012. Those people have been completely disillusioned by the fact that they thought Obama could do all the things he promised.
link??

Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
There are a lot of people on the left upset that Obama keeps caving in and moving to the center in a vain hope to compromise with Republicans. Of course the Republicans always just continue their obstructionism and nothing gets accomplished so why even bother reaching out to them? It just results in good legislation getting watered down to the point that it becomes useless and you never ever get a single Republican vote for all of your efforts so why bother?

Basically what his base wants him to do is grow a pair of balls, stand up to Republican obstructionism, and fight for the real change & reform he promised. I don't think this is to much to ask for.
Please explain to me how Republicans manage to obstruct when the Dems have 60 seats in the Senate and nearly 300 in the House. It seems to me that the obstruction crap is just that, crap. When you could carry anything because of sheer numbers and have to have the votes of the minority party to get anything done, it seems to me that there is just too much dissent among the ranks of the majority party.

Really, I would like to have you or somebody explain this to me. I just don't see how it works.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:28 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Franken was seated in July, however at that point Kennedy's health had already taken a turn for the worse, and did not make any more appearances in the Senate. Byrd also missed quite a bit of time due to illness around this time, as did Maryland Senator Barbara Mikulski (who seriously injured her hip during the summer). It wasn't until late September when Paul Kirk was appointed to Kennedy's old seat that 58 Democrats were actually in the Senate.
58 dems and two Indies that caucus with the dems = 60.

Byrd has not missed a crucial vote - they wheel him in and out for those.

So basically since July, less about a month after The Swimmers death, the democrats have had a huge majority in the house, a fili-proof majority in the Senate and the WH.

Like I said, the republicans couldn't stop anything at the time.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
58 dems and two Indies that caucus with the dems = 60.

Byrd has not missed a crucial vote - they wheel him in and out for those.

So basically since July, less about a month after The Swimmers death, the democrats have had a huge majority in the house, a fili-proof majority in the Senate and the WH.

Like I said, the republicans couldn't stop anything at the time.
They weren't exactly able to wheel out Kennedy in the month before he died.....

Old 03-10-2010, 09:31 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,367 times
Quote:
I heard mention, yesterday, of the fact that many of those young people who voted for the first time in 2008 don't plan to vote this fall. That will take lots of his support from him and move some of those freshmen House members out of their offices. Yep, he is in real trouble if he loses the under 25 voters.
Although...a serious campaign effort could bring a lot of those voters back out of the woodwork. And it's actually a serious issue. They "don't plan to vote this fall." A lot of the younger constituents would simply rather not vote when given the choice of two bad candidates (in their eyes). The issue should be about making other candidates (and parties) more viable (this bipartisan crap just sucks in the eyes of many voters) . I'm guessing that a lot of the under 25 voters simply do not see ANY hope in the bipartisan system and feel that voting for the Rep or Dem candidate is the same old b.s. I think the many layers of this issue is something older voters are not really plugged into sometimes, but it's a reality and will come to have a lot of bearing a few decades from now, if not sooner.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
All liberal are stupid. Is this Ann Coulter? How dumb does one have to be to paint everyone that is liberal as stupid? That's as ignorant as claiming that all Republicans are smart or that all blacks are athletes.
I see that you don't like to see the stuff that is thrown by many libs here getting thrown back in their face. I have been wondering for a long time when this would happen. I always tell people that I must be very uneducated since I have only two college degrees and enough hours beyond for another one. I love to see them call us stupid and uneducated, but like more seeing you howl about what is being thrown back at the progs.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
For many many months?? It was four months the GOP had a Filibuster Proof Majority, and that was counting on someone who campaigned for McCain the year prior....
I wonder if you paid any attention to what you posted there. I didn't know the GOP had one of those filibuster proof majorities.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:34 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,286,799 times
Quote:
Please explain to me how Republicans manage to obstruct when the Dems have 60 seats in the Senate and nearly 300 in the House. It seems to me that the obstruction crap is just that, crap. When you could carry anything because of sheer numbers and have to have the votes of the minority party to get anything done, it seems to me that there is just too much dissent among the ranks of the majority party.

Really, I would like to have you or somebody explain this to me. I just don't see how it works.
I, too, have questioned all this "republican obstruction" that I hear all the liberals screaming about. Did the democrats not gain control of both houses of congress during the last two years of the Bush administration,....and add the White House in that column in 2008?

I keep hearing about the "nuclear option",...or "reconciliation",...or whatever, and the fact that the liberal democrats can effectively ram most of this healthcare boondoggle through without a single republican vote. What the hell is the holdup now?

Go ahead and do it democrats!! Go ahead Obama,...pop that whip!!!

Are the liberal democrats all getting weak-kneed? Hmmmmm.....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies