Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:59 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
See smokers to me is different because their behavior affects other people.

But if you have soda or salt it only affects one person.

I hate going out to bars and coming home smelling like the phillip morris factory. It makes me sick. Not to mention breathing it in all night.
No the Liberal crazies say that each individuals bad health behavior affects us all in insurance premiums going up for their (fill in blank)____________ indused health problems!
But keep giving illegals free health care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:03 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning

New York is a pretty liberal state but I have a hard time believe this will pass. Though there are a lot dems, keep in mind a lot upstate are moderate.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:10 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
The most ridiculous part of this is that no self-respecting chef (or cook) worth his salt would use 'too much' salt in a recipe.
Now, Marie Callender and other frozen food manufactures would see a big decrease in their sales if not allowed to use the amounts that they use.(approx 1/2 teaspoon in some dinners)

Old 03-11-2010, 07:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
As salt is effectively a poison to some people I think the risk of excess salt justifies this legislation. Adding salt during the preparation does not change the taste much differently than adding it at the table. Requiring the diner to salt the meal, or not, according to their own taste and requirements seems to be a courteously, not a problem.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:27 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The most ridiculous part of this is that no self-respecting chef (or cook) worth his salt would use 'too much' salt in a recipe.
Now, Marie Callender and other frozen food manufactures would see a big decrease in their sales if not allowed to use the amounts that they use.(approx 1/2 teaspoon in some dinners)
THE PROBLEM IS ITS NOT 'TOO MUCH' ,,,BUt that this 'ban' would be on ALL salt in the preparation

that would inculude NO salt in pizza dough, in bagel dough, a knish, etc

its the typical liberal mindset...we determine that we dont like it or its bad for you, then instead of saying cut down,,,we BAN it....its just like liberal book banning and book burning

Old 03-11-2010, 07:29 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As salt is effectively a poison to some people I think the risk of excess salt justifies this legislation. Adding salt during the preparation does not change the taste much differently than adding it at the table. Requiring the diner to salt the meal, or not, according to their own taste and requirements seems to be a courteously, not a problem.
The Gov does not have the right to control salt in restaurants! In packaged foods yes maybe but not restaurants!
People can choose to eat where salt is highly used or not eat there! And if they cannot make that decision for themselves it is their problem not the Gov's or ours!
BTW I have hypertension........

Old 03-11-2010, 07:34 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Salt isn't the poison, it's the controlling liberal mindset.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:34 AM

898 posts, read 1,402,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
In the past I'd say this type of bill didn't have a chance of passing and was a waste of taxpayer paid for time......nowadays? Not so confident.
I have been wondering why we never hear of "Uncle Sam" anymore. Is there any plan to come up with a visual for Mommy or Daddy Gov?
Uncle Sam has been replaced by Big Brother

Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Bloomberg is the mayor. Whether this passes or not is his say. And his views essentially don't fall under any party. High taxation, little to no spending. It's not conservative because he taxes everything. At the same time it's not liberal because he doesn't believe in public investment. And keep in mind he's a former business bigwheel, who typically aren't liberal. And why on earth would someone switch from being a Democrat to Republican to get elected in NEW YORK CITY? He may be a succesful business person but he has no business being in politics. I seriously hate the guy.

Sorry, but I can't help but seeing your argument as nothing more than attempting to deflect and derail the thread.

The bill was introduced by a liberal democrat. The bill, and the liberal, deserve criticism. End of story.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:54 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Some New York City chefs and restaurant owners are taking aim at a bill introduced in the New York Legislature that, if passed, would ban the use of salt in restaurant cooking...many chefs and restaurant owners said they are tired of politicians dictating what they can serve and what people can eat. They have opposed the city's anti-sodium and anti-transfat campaigns."

Chefs Call Proposed New York Salt Ban 'Absurd' (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_york_state/chefs-call-proposed-new-york-salt-ban-absurd-20100310-akd - broken link)

Jerky libs. The way I see it, if the liberal government control freaks keep this stuff up, pretty soon, the corner drug dealer will switch from selling illegal drugs to illegal food and soft drinks.
They are just arrogant snobs, who think we are too stupid and unable to decide for ourselves how to live our lives, so they feel the need to decide what is best for us. Next thing you know, salt will be obtainable only thru a prescription from your nutritionist. so when does the ban on red meat and hotdogs begin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies