U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:20 PM

25,155 posts, read 14,182,271 times
Default Gay couples wed for first time in Mexico

Quote:
Two glowing brides in matching white gowns and four other same-sex couples made history in Mexico City on Thursday as they wed under Latin America's first law that explicitly approves gay marriage.

Mayor Marcelo Ebrard was a guest of honor at the weddings of Judith Vazquez and Lol Kin Castaneda and the other couples who tied the knot in a city building, despite harsh criticism from the Roman Catholic Church and a campaign against the measure by President Felipe Calderon's conservative National Action Party.
Gays wed for first time in Mexico - Americas- msnbc.com

In a way, they've got it better than same-sex married couples in the U.S. Although the marriages in Mexico can only be performed in Mexico City, they must be recognized as legal throughout the country. Mexico doesn't have anything equivalent to our Defense Of Marriage Act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 08:23 PM

9,000 posts, read 8,341,970 times
I wondered about recognition outside of Mexico City and now I have my answer.

I am very happy for the same-sex couples in Mexico. They have marriage rights AND adoption rights. Woot woot!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:56 PM

4,403 posts, read 3,417,043 times
What does it say that America can't do what a very Catholic country can? I am surprised, just as I was surprised when Spain allowed gay marriage, what, almost a decade ago? I can't imagine the church having less sway in those countries than in ours. Amazed am I. But good for them.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:04 PM

89 posts, read 45,200 times
Good for them. However, it is just one city.... Got a long way to go.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:50 PM

25,155 posts, read 14,182,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keks View Post
Good for them. However, it is just one city.... Got a long way to go.
True, but it's a city of more than 9 million people. That's bigger than most U.S. states. And their marriages are recognized throughout all of Mexico, unlike ours.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:53 PM

306 posts, read 172,210 times
Wow, who woulda thunk that Mexico City is so much more advanced and sophisticated than so much of the US?

*sigh*

Old 03-12-2010, 02:31 AM

18,026 posts, read 14,833,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
Wow, who woulda thunk that Mexico City is so much more advanced and sophisticated than so much of the US?

*sigh*
More like a big step backwards, the opposite of "more advanced" and "sophisticated."

Old 03-12-2010, 07:02 AM

26,134 posts, read 9,453,534 times
All the gays in the US, should exodus to Mexico. Sounds like the promised land.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:47 PM

724 posts, read 257,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
More like a big step backwards, the opposite of "more advanced" and "sophisticated."
Haha backwards to when? If it's the first time it's happened, how is it possible that it's gone backwards to do so?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:58 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,319,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
All the gays in the US, should exodus to Mexico. Sounds like the promised land.
That was a blow below the belt. Is that all you could come up with? Why should a US Citizen go to a foreign country for equal rights, when he/she lives in the "greatest" democracy in human history? I know...don't answer that. And with a Username like Bentbow, I would think you would be more simpathetic with gay rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies