U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 05:27 AM

257 posts, read 96,972 times
Question How do you determine your race?

If people have billions of past ancestors, how does one determine their race?

Could it be determined by skull shape, hair, facial features, etc?

I'm starting to realize race is kinda subjective.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:37 AM
Status: "A balance of head, heart, and hump." (set 6 days ago)

3,289 posts, read 1,469,140 times
I look in the mirror, then I look at my dog. Lo and behold I am of the human race (despite what some of my exes believe) and my dog is canine. My white skin is a variation of one race, not an indicator of a separate race.

Or so I believe.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:44 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,036,336 times
I look at the pictures of my grandparents
and then I realize that I'm just like a Thanksgiving dinner:
"Took many different things to make something great"

Old 03-12-2010, 05:56 AM

1,157 posts, read 741,751 times
Race is an arbitrary social construction intended to place people into categories so that certain people could be oppressed. The construction is tied to gender and labor (work roles). At least one commentator claimed that the emancipation of slaves in the United States did more to upset labor roles in this nation than any other historical event. It forced southerners (as well as northerners) to begin to negotiate with non-whites for work, which was a rather new phenomenon at the time. Freedmen and women (ex-slaves) shunned "slave" type work after emancipation (ratification of the 13th Amendment), such as growing cotton. They preferred to grow foodstuffs instead, and this confused their white counterparts. Similarly, poor whites around this time began to shun "slave work" as well--something that they had to begin doing themselves in the wake of emancipation.

Race construction and gender is a more complicated process that I'm not going to attempt to explain here.

There's a great deal of scholarship, books, articles, etc., about what race is and how it developed in the U.S. and in other countries. I'd suggest starting with W.E.B. Du Bois, as well as Gunnar Myrdal, along with David Roediger, Barbara Fields, Ramon Gutierrez, among many, many other authors.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 AM

11,766 posts, read 5,316,450 times
Since all of humanity was supposed to have evolved from a few thousand people in what is now Africa, just call yourself African-American.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:38 AM

2,318 posts, read 430,491 times
I think that all races should be treated equally as fellow humans . I also think that all races should be preserved . Every race has something different to offer .

Race isn't what divides us as much as culture clashes .

I know that all large cats are almost exactly alike except for color and a few other charactoristics. So I wouldn't want to see the tigers ,lions or panthers be breed into exticntion.

Same with birds , many are just different in color only, yet I like cardinals as much as bluebirds .

Old 03-12-2010, 10:44 AM

150 posts, read 12,776 times
Diogenes is correct, and the more people realize that race is a constantly changing construction rather than an essential, biological truth, the better off the world is.

There is more genetic diversity between Africans than anywhere else on the planet ( http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0430144524.htm ), yet in the minds of most, they are part of a single "black" collective. "Whiteness" is pretty much the same way.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:55 AM

30,727 posts, read 11,490,326 times
I think I have the qualifications necessary to be human... that would be my race.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:03 PM

1,157 posts, read 741,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nujabes View Post
Diogenes is correct, and the more people realize that race is a constantly changing construction rather than an essential, biological truth, the better off the world is.

There is more genetic diversity between Africans than anywhere else on the planet ( African Genetics Study Revealing Origins, Migration And 'Startling Diversity' Of African Peoples ), yet in the minds of most, they are part of a single "black" collective. "Whiteness" is pretty much the same way.
Spot-on Nujabes, and the link is a fine addition to this discussion.

On whiteness, historians claim it developed as an ideology as did blackness. Consider that in the 19th century (early 20th also) that most native-born Americans (not Indians, but 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th generation Anglos, French, Dutch, Germans born on the continent) considered the Irish a race, the Italians as a race, both of which were distinctly different from Anglo Saxons. Over time and through labor relationships, historians argue that Irish, Italians, and later Jews, tried through various means to distinguish themselves as "white" along with native-born Americans. They did this much the way native-born Americans separated blackness out in the colonial period and late 18th century--the Irish and Italians set themselves apart from blacks.

People are mostly the same, but just have a few differences in appearances. But race for a long time has been an artificial category that developed from unequal relationships of power in society. Race construction has always set itself apart from the "other" in society. Without an "other" there could be no category of race, so in many ways it's a result of a clash of cultures.

One way in which race is connected to sex is that the first Europeans on the mainland U.S. observed Native American (Indians) sexuality. They did it differently than did European Christians. They did it "doggy style" or at least many Indian nations did, and the Euros viewed this as similar to animalistic behavior. Thus they were termed savages.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:10 PM

29,990 posts, read 18,675,335 times
Ethnicity should not be confused with race. The two terms are too often inappropriately interchanged and usually for political purposes.

Race is determined via anthropology/ethnology/biology.

Ethnicity is a cultural identification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies