Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Good luck with that. Nothing fails like prayer. Meanwhile my feelings simply aren't on the line every time a district court decides a case. The facts and the law happen to be squarely on the side of atheists in the Pledge matter, but the facts and the law are often not enough. Still, slaves were eventually freed, women were eventually allowed to vote and work outside the home after marriage, and the Pledge will eventually revert to its original, pre-Red Scare form -- the one that allows all Americans to recite it proudly, instead of just some.
Actully, prayer has worked quite well in a recent personal crisis.

Assuming this case gets to the USSC (which I hope it does), and the Court affirms the 9ths decision, you would, of course, support the USSC's decision I trust -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 07:08 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
I take it you pretty much HATE this country; is that right?
Quote:
I think that the people you represent are pathetic myself. We need to STAY (or more aptly, REVERT) in a more AMERICAN direction.
Quote:
The atheists aren't going to get their way though. Wait and see little friend...
Quote:
Amen. The nutjobs are even brushed aside by an appeals court in of all places, San Fran Sicko...
Putting words in the mouths of others to feed your agenda is unacceptable. Better yet immoral. And your other three posts reverberate that of a second or third grader. Atheists and Agnostics are nowhere near as full of ANGER and HATE as those who are supposedly LOVED by god. Ironic at the least.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:00 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
-
Like a gambler that is eager to tell you how much he won last week but forgets to mention the loses the other 51 weeks.

I have to admit being surprised at the decision.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:13 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
They cannot force you to say it. In fact they should state that it is strictly voluntary. We are not Nazi Germany- yet anyway.
Attachment 59440
We have almost 3 year left still to get there.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:41 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
When I was much younger, I knew a kid who asked Santa Claus for a bicycle and got one. To similar effect, apparently.

Quote:
Assuming this case gets to the USSC (which I hope it does)...
Presumably Newdow would request an en banc hearing first, but with all your legal experience, you would know that. If such a request is turned down, which is probably likely even though Reinhardt is a senior judge on the 9th bench whose opinions are given considerable weight within it, then Newdow would be expected to appeal to the USSC. The chances of getting four Justices to back certiorari would be slight, given a lack of contradictory district court opinion to date, but it would be possible that some might still be embarassed enough over the Court's ducking of the case on weak issues of standing in 2002 after Newdow had clearly been the superior force at oral argument, and there could always be a judicial activist or two on the right wanting to take the case and invent new law to resolve the issue in the minds of the lower courts. Still, I would venture that the most likely scenario here is that the 9th Circuit will elect not to rehear the case, and the USSC will not take up the appeal.

Quote:
...and the Court affirms the 9ths decision, you would, of course, support the USSC's decision I trust -
The law is the law, but for so long as there is an "under God" pledge and Americans who are thus deprived of an ability to recite the Pledge proudly, the matter of patent religious intrusion into what should be a purely patriotic exercise will go on. The courts may ultimately choose to redeem the Pledge, or they may not. If not, the most likely outcome is that the Pledge will slowly slide into historical obscurity through simple disuse.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
It matters not, since the Pledge of Allegiance has no official status. It's just a sentence, that people are free to repeat or not. Nothing in the Pledge reflects the official policy of the government of the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies