Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:21 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You know, these guys knowingly join the military full aware of benefits and payments.
They get what they get.
They're not protecting the US and "our way of life" - they're killing people in sovereign nations that don't want us there. They're making money for Halliburton and corporations.

This is all a matter of choice; there is no forced draft.

If they didn't want the job at the rates paid, they should look for work elsewhere. They're not sacred cows.

BTW, have any idea what Bush did, besides send these kids in for a fools job in the middle east because "he [Saddam] tried to kill my daddy."

Might get your facts straight before you look foolish.
Whatever. Seriously, you are the most miserable "person" I have ever encountered on any message board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 09:24 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
We all know that our military servicemen and servicewomen are underpaid for the job they do. You want to raise taxes for the purpose of giving them a raise is ok by me.

That being said, how about we improve the conditions for soldiers returning from abroad? Increased funding for VA Hospitals as well as better care for those soldiers returning with severe psychiatric/physical injuries would be the first thing I would do if I were President.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:41 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
It's a choice they make.
No one is forcing them to take the job.
I don't consider them special - and I'm a vet.
They know the pay and the danger.

What do I think of people joining now?
Not much for whatever reason.
They're joining during a time of war when it's kill or be killed.
They're not protecting the US; they're attacking sovereign nations.
They're paid mercinaries. They fight watever people in whatever country that US interests want them to fight in.
And that's the life they chose.
So how did you deal with that on active duty. Did your superiors ask you for a list of countries you would be willing to invade?
What would you do if called up now, refuse?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:09 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Whoa... trying to read more pages to get up to speed here but this thread reeks of class and racial divide. Like the military. Most other countries we engage do not have this social handicap in their military structure. Denmark, Israel, South Africa, other places, can conscript a military and the conscripts at least are united by a bond that is not challenged by racial, ethnic, gender or religious differences. I am certain there are black officers that excel in the military. Colin Powell is an example. Is he typical? Is there representation in the officer ranks comensurate with representation in the general population? If it started getting that way would there be an outcry from the enlisted ranks? Would insubordination and other appearances of disintergration of morale become more evident? How would Gays fare in a military if they were conscriptable? If Sunnis had to serve in a unified Iraqi army with hated Shiites we would have a much easier time defeating them. We are meeting the kind of determination in Afghanistan that we are because a united force of insurgents is fighting with everything they have for a cause that they believe in. I cannot in my heart of hearts believe that a majority of Vietnam Vets even knew where Hanoi was on a world map before, during or even after their deployment. I am led to understand that during firefights some soldiers were on the ground crying. That sounds like pure hell. If you are going to put a person through that it should be for one reason: the direct protection of U.S. property and/or people! Would the issue of pay and how much and for whom and under what conditions matter in such a scenario? I think not.

H

Old 03-16-2010, 05:27 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
The issue of pay matters. It mattered when we had a conscript force in Vietnam, Korea, WWII and WWI. It mattered to the forces in place in between those conflicts. The concept of combat pay was basically a simple recognition of the additional stresses, effort and dangers that someone faces as opposed to some else at the same pay grade in an air conditioned office in the states. It was never thought that it would make it worthwhile or be an inducement to anyone. Anyone who thinks so is seriously deluded.

Growing up in the 50s -60s, early '70s in a military household I know first-hand how tight it can be. I remember quarters that wouldn't be acceptable for welfare housing...I know how tight financially it was for a young enlisted man with a growing family...pay matters, whether you're in a war that you agree with or not.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:33 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Old 03-16-2010, 05:35 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
We all know that our military servicemen and servicewomen are underpaid for the job they do. You want to raise taxes for the purpose of giving them a raise is ok by me.

That being said, how about we improve the conditions for soldiers returning from abroad? Increased funding for VA Hospitals as well as better care for those soldiers returning with severe psychiatric/physical injuries would be the first thing I would do if I were President.
As a physician, working at the VA is like working at a Pediatric Cancer hospital. The patients are wonderful, innocent and deserving of care. They also put up with a lot. It makes the job incredibly difficult. I can easily say veterans are the best patients around. They are incredibly patient and understanding. It breaks your heart because the VA system rations care and these poor veterans who served our country and are injured as a result of their service can't even get adequate care. And despite all the crap they take, they are still grateful and always treat me and the other doctors with respect which I can't always say for people in the public sector. I know a lot of veterans who pay for private insurance because they don't want to rely on the VA for care because they hate it.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:39 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Good grief...where to start

They do. It's called...wait for it..............combat pay. I have no idea what "more benefits" otherwise means, since all military members receive full benefits already (free medical, dental, etc etc).

No argument there.

The military already offers life insurance at dirt cheap prices.

?? Because they fulfilled all the requirement to become an officer, which are the same for everyone, and because rank isn't all about "risk." PS officers go into combat zones too, FYI, although it's true that the % is lower than enlisted.

I have no idea what this is even supposed to mean, as it doesn't make sense the way it reads.

And what happens when there isn't combat going on? We just don't have any more officers?

Again, being an officer (in fact being in the military) is about a lot more than just risk or combat.

Thanks for answering that dumb post.
My husband was in an artillery unit and he was deployed to Bosnia in 95-96. They got better pay, while deployed, but not after that. But just like you said. We were insured 200,000 life insurance for small cost to us, and had full medical and dental benefits, at no cost to us.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 03-16-2010 at 05:52 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 05:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
No one enters OCS without a degree. Duh.
I don't know anyone who is an officer whose parental units were politicians or powerful.
I think you're lack of knowledge is appalling.

Right...what was it you said earlier...'If no one enlisted, we wouldn't be fighting in these stupid wars."

That's pretty stupid, don't you think.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:53 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Anyone can be a grunt and learn to shoot a gun.
Do you really think that OCS is a piece of cake? It's not.
Most military officers serve in war zones at one time or another.

yes anyone can learn to shoot a firearm, not everyone is cut out to be a 11 series, and not alot of people can take anothers life when it counts.

OCS per say is a piece of cake compared to west point. some military officers serve in combat zones and most dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies