Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:31 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
"Unions Are Good for the American Economy"

Unions Are Good for the American Economy
A UNION PAC says unions are good for America???? I'm shocked!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 08:39 AM

418 posts, read 487,792 times
Why do people still think unions serve the same purpose they did 100 years ago?!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:54 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We simply need Federal Law to protect the rights of workers to organize Union Shops in all of America. Current Right to work laws violates the Constitutional restrictions on States making interstate tariffs. In effect right to work states are using a State law to unfairly compete with union states. This must be stopped.

As far as overseas outsourcing is concerned it can be reduced with countervailing tariffs and "buy American" restrictions on government projects and purchases. This should apply to everything from the nails used on low income housing to the huge equipment on interstate highway building. Let’s use government spending here not in China.

The Unions are not destroying American Industry; the greedy managment is doing the job for the bankers.

I hate my senators are against the Employee Free Choice Act. They're just pawns of Wal-Mart.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

I hate my senators are against the Employee Free Choice Act. They're just pawns of Wal-Mart.
The Employee Free Choice Act isn't about free choice. It's about removing the secret ballot. I'm glad our Senators are against it.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:01 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I wonder how the other 85% of the workforce that is not union manages.

There is no doubt the unions have played a major factor in the destruction of the US manufacturing base. There is no doubt that unions cripple the competitiveness of business. There is no doubt that union pensions, benefits, golden health care plans are putting more and more states in deep debt and those gold plated benefits are out of step with the times.
Please explain the "times". After you explain that explain when the "times" where better. Explain "golden healthcare plans"? I know several in the union here in Washington who pay over a thousand a month for a PPO plan. Is that golden?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:17 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The Employee Free Choice Act isn't about free choice. It's about removing the secret ballot. I'm glad our Senators are against it.
That's not true and you know it, or should. EFCA allows for secret ballots.
Perhaps workers where you are feel they are just not worth Union Scale.To my mind, if they won't stand up for themselves perhaps they are not

Old 03-15-2010, 09:19 AM

711 posts, read 933,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
First in a series;

Ohio. The numbers are simply incredible.

toledoblade.com -- The Blade ~ Toledo Ohio

Contrast and compare forced unionization.

Stunning number.

Meanwhile, states like Texas are benefiting from the ruinous business climate in those pro-union states.

More statistics that will make your blood boil.
What makes my blood boil is posters who appear to go to extreme efforts to use biased links to attempt to prove what they think will be a dissenting partisan viewpoint.

Unions members past and present have been members of both political parties -- they are Americans. I don't need to stay up at night searching for twisted links to post yet another divisive **** post as some posters repeatedly do.

As I have said before unions are not perfect specimens--neither is corporate management.That said, anyone who pays attention to our information sources knows what happens when corporate America is allowed to rear its ugly head above the interests of America and the general good of its citizens. The evidence is also around us in everyday life -- no link required! It is obvious and compelling and is not improving.

The time may come when those who feel they are immune to needing the benefits of organized labor may adjust their thoughts. Those who imagine they are above the rank and file may realize they are only peons and pawns in the trickle down corporate operational schemes.
Perhaps unions will then be recognized as more necessary than ever--instead of a fixture of a past era.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
That's not true and you know it, or should. EFCA allows for secret ballots.
Perhaps workers where you are feel they are just not worth Union Scale.To my mind, if they won't stand up for themselves perhaps they are not
EFCA allows for secret ballots. But be honest, if EFCA is passed, will secret ballots ever be used. The Act is about making card-check the preferred method. And that means that secret ballots will eventually die out.

And that's just wrong.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:38 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
EFCA allows for secret ballots. But be honest, if EFCA is passed, will secret ballots ever be used. The Act is about making card-check the preferred method. And that means that secret ballots will eventually die out.

And that's just wrong.
It also is just your opinion, or Rush's, and has NO basis in fact.
EFCA does, contrary to what you posted, allow for secret ballots.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
It also is just your opinion, or Rush's, and has NO basis in fact.
EFCA does, contrary to what you posted, allow for secret ballots.
I'm not a conservative, Boompa. I don't listen to Rush. I've read the act, and it's pretty clear, whether it allows for secret ballots or not, it favors card-check, consistently and overwhelmingly. If a car dealer sells Buicks, but doesn't have any on the lot, and the lot is all Chevrolets, he can say he's a Buick dealer, but honestly, he's not. And don't say "contrary to what you posted", because it's not. EFCA is like the car dealer, it CAN let a secret ballot go ahead, but what it's pushing is card-check. Since the people won't be making the choice between secret ballot and card-check, when is secret ballot votes going to happen. Answer, probably never. Not unless all the workers scream and rant they want a secret ballot. Because unions don't want a secret ballot. And neither does this pro-union piece of legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies