Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 02:04 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times

Advertisements

That is odd by the end of the story it was a billing error and typo and the real number was 31,000 dollars not 319,000. He also had some kind of issue with medicare and getting coverage. More then likely didnt fill out a fourm. Its more then likely because he still had his union insurance which might have been covering his emergancy room bills and or some kind of issue related to that. The Typo caused alot of issues as far as the number he owed but the system of who is paying the bill remains. Its either a insurance company or the government who pays. Did he pay any part of 30,000 he owed? Did he even make one payment? It would be interesting to know that for all the care this person has received and probably has saved his life 10 times over does he owe those who saved his life a dime? If he wants charity then the doctors and hositpals and the business aspect should know what. Charity hospitals and a support group would bring this nation further and get people the care this people need. I noticed the DR stood up for taking care of the patient and said it should have been follow up care. I think more people are willing to help each other without a cost when they do the work the first time. They treat the patient because its not only their job its something that defines them. Doctors even thou paid well also do many things without pay, the hours and parts of them that survive to help people in need and some even voluteer for the experience and to learn. I think it would be best to understand the difference because charity and paying for a service. The sooner we move those who need charity we can move and assist them without them dealing with bills. When I mean chairty I mean CHARITY not welfare, not government assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 02:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So again, no proof? It seems all of your posts rely on either speculation or emotions to drive a point home. I am still waiting for facts...

And Katiana, please respond to the other points I made in my post. Choosing to ignore valid points in a debate makes me take you a lot less seriously.
What do you mean, no proof? What do I have to do, write a PhD dissertation on capitalism. If you have studied economics at all, you know that reguations are a fairly recent phenomenon. There is anothe thread about the free-market system on this forum, where this is also being discussed. The "free market" does go back a few millenia. Greed on the part of the capitalists is what brings about regulation. For the most part, these regs are just making the businesses do what they should have been doing all along, e.g. honor their word, deliver their product, etc.

Which points do you want me to respond to? It is my observation that many people, including some of the most reverered RWs, only answer what they want to answer.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:07 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Many health issues, ESPECIALLY digestive issues are directly related to diet. The article does not go into a lot of detail about what his particular condition was, but I would bet a lot of money that it was something that could have been prevented or treated by a change in diet. I do not think that it is fair to ask OTHER PEOPLE to foot the bill for someone who does not take care of themselves and that results in some kind of illness or disorder. Again, I do not have all the details, but I am surmising.

20yrsinBranson
He has neutropenia, which is not caused by lack of exercise or diet.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You call what we have, unfettered capitalism? Maybe the other two posters were correct..
I didn't say we had it now, I said it goes back in time.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:12 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Please read this article and then continue to tell the average worker in this country that health care reform is unnecessary.

'My jaw hit the floor'
About six months after his emergency operation, Miller was scheduled to return to St. John Macomb-Oakland to have his colostomy surgically closed so he didn't have to use a colostomy bag.

But on the morning of the scheduled surgery -- Jan. 6, 2009 -- Miller and his mother arrived at the hospital only to be told at check-in that the operation couldn't be performed because of his outstanding balance.

Miller was handed a purple piece of paper with a balance that read: $31,910,348. He was later informed the total was an error. The balance should have read: $319,103.48.

From The Detroit News: Sick, uninsured and in debt: One man's health care crisis | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://detnews.com/article/20100315/LIFESTYLE03/3150338/Sick--uninsured-and-in-debt--One-man-s-health-care-crisis#ixzz0iFP9r4Nu - broken link)
How much would insurance be for a 26 year old male in Detroit?

Not as bad as you might thing.

United Health Quotes

First thing people need to get away from is the idea insurance needs to cover every little doctor visit. Most don't.

Consider a plan costing $85.58 per month for a plan with a $2,500.00 deductible with maximum out of pocket of $3,000.00. For the young man in the story his maximum cost would have been $4,026.96 for the year and that includes the cost of premiums.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
How much would insurance be for a 26 year old male in Detroit?

Not as bad as you might thing.

United Health Quotes

First thing people need to get away from is the idea insurance needs to cover every little doctor visit. Most don't.

Consider a plan costing $85.58 per month for a plan with a $2,500.00 deductible with maximum out of pocket of $3,000.00. For the young man in the story his maximum cost would have been $4,026.96 for the year and that includes the cost of premiums.
But would they have accepted him because he has a pre existing condition?

Old 03-16-2010, 02:39 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
But would they have accepted him because he has a pre existing condition?
Yeah, it is kind of like buying auto insurance the day after you have the accident.

He should have had it before the accident.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
He has neutropenia, which is not caused by lack of exercise or diet.
According to the online dictionary Neutropenia is: A low number of neutrophils in the blood, placing the patient at increased risk for infection.

Apparently, you do not need a colostomy because you have neutropenia. It is a blood disorder and has nothing to do with your digestive tract. Most likely the condition caused an infection of some kind which resulted in the colostomy.

There are many ways of boosting the immune system through diet and nutrition that might have mitigated this condition to the point that the operation would not have been necessary. Since the neutropenia has been studied and defined by conventional medicine, I do not trust for one minute that it could not be treated and probably alleviated if the proper foods and nutrients were used as treatment instead of pills and poisons.

It also says that often neutropenia is a side-effect of chemotherapy. Do you know if this was the case with the man in the story?

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-16-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
According to the online dictionary Neutropenia is: A low number of neutrophils in the blood, placing the patient at increased risk for infection.

Apparently, you do not need a colostomy because you have neutropenia. It is a blood disorder and has nothing to do with your digestive tract. Most likely the condition caused an infection of some kind which resulted in the colostomy.

There are many ways of boosting the immune system through diet and nutrition that might have mitigated this condition to the point that the operation would not have been necessary. Since the neutropenia has been studied and defined by conventional medicine, I do not trust for one minute that it could not be treated and probably alleviated if the proper foods and nutrients were used as treatment instead of pills and poisons.

It also says that often neutropenia is a side-effect of chemotherapy. Do you know if this was the case with the man in the story?

20yrsinBranson
I had 'doctors' tell me the same thing about my disorder.

And yes, blood disorders CAN cause issues in your digestive tract. According to the article, he had his spleen removed, and without the spleen it can aggravate infections which can then spread to other parts of your body. I had my spleen taken out, so I've been through that since I was 11. You can also have kidney and liver issues due to having your spleen taken out.

My disorder (which is enzyme related) has caused me liver issues, spleen issues (well, when I had it anyway) blood issues, lung issues, stomach issues and even issues with fertility. So yes, one small disruption in your body can cause quite a few things to go wrong and no homeopathy treatment is going to help that.

It doesn't mention he had chemo, but that's only one possible cause.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yeah, it is kind of like buying auto insurance the day after you have the accident.

He should have had it before the accident.
I was denied by insurance because my disorder was genetic. I applied and was accepted before I was diagnosed, but since it was 'genetic' and therefore I had it when I was born, I was denied. If they could 'prove' that he had the disorder (even before symptoms arose) they could deny him.

My family had to move across the state so my dad could find a job with health insurance to cover me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies