Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
what I have found is just the opposite.

I would think the poor would be the nicest, and appreachiate what they have...but no..the poor here, are just the opposite, they site and look to what entitlement they can get, its all about "what are you going to give me".

I was doing yard work last week, some guy asked me if I need help, I thought that was nice, so I talked with him, seemed like a nice enough guy, found out he was poor, not working etc. So I offered to give him a ride to Lowes home improvement where they are hiring, or to walmart who is also hiring, or even Wendy's who is also hiring, and I know the managers too.....he looked at me like I had 5 heads and said but if I get a job they will take my welfare away.

this is the mentality of the poor today

Yes you are right, there are people who are lazy and looking for the easiest handout. I am just saying until you know the person, you don't know their story. They might have worked their whole life, had a house and stuff and a chain of events led them to be down and out. Those people deserve help. It could happen to any of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 09:10 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Did you read the story??..Did you read my above reply completely???

Tell me where someone basically only getting "part time" work hours can go sign up for "affordable" high risk health insurance...please tell me??

If you can I will email the reporter at the Detroit news, so he can steer this young man in that direction.
Yes, I read the story.

It says someone who works part-time and only carried health insurance sporadically has now run up a big bill. Some people think this calls for universal health care so we can pay his bills.

I would suggest the young man look into the Michigan high-risk pool and see what it costs. I'd also suggest that plenty of people (myself included) couldn't pay our insurance premiums if we worked part-time, so we work full-time. How about you introduce this concept to the reporter at the Detroit news?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Can you answer my question?

Why does someone owe complete strangers a commodity like health care because they have more money?
Why do we owe complete strangers prison beds, educations, fire protection, police protection, libraries, etc? Because, It Takes a Village!

Old 03-17-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Can you answer my question?

Why does someone owe complete strangers a commodity like health care because they have more money?

It is not about owing, it is about placing some thing of more importance above money. Denying someone treatment because of lack of money is not exactly humane. If we are going to say America is a country of God, good people, than lets be that instead of worshipping money.

There is nothing wrong with having money, but when you place it above human life than priorities are mixed up. I would like to think a stranger would help me if I really needed it. The cases I am talking about are extreme medical treatments, not just everyday medical conditions.

Does someone owe a stranger help?, no. Is it the right thing to do? yes. Should you be pillaged to help others? no. Is it greedy to keep $2 or $3 out of your pay check that could help someone in a real extreme down and out position? yes IMO.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:20 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
Quote:
Yes, I read the story.

It says someone who works part-time and only carried health insurance sporadically has now run up a big bill. Some people think this calls for universal health care so we can pay his bills.

I would suggest the young man look into the Michigan high-risk pool and see what it costs. I'd also suggest that plenty of people (myself included) couldn't pay our insurance premiums if we worked part-time, so we work full-time. How about you introduce this concept to the reporter at the Detroit news?
OK...thank you.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Is it greedy to keep $2 or $3 out of your pay check that could help someone in a real extreme down and out position? yes IMO.
So what's stopping you (or anyone else) from forking over $3 each paycheck for Kirk's bills? Better yet, buy the guy his own policy.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:28 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Whether he could afford insurance or not is not an issue to anyone but him.

It is not a political issue.
Ah, but, unfortunately, it is being made into one.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And that is a tough situation...it really is. However that is not the government's problem. The federal government does not exist to carry the citizens, it exists to protect basic freedoms as defined in the Constitution.

Life isn't easy.

Actually I would prefere state governments to handle it more than the federal government. I am not a champion of federal government, I am just pointing out that sometimes government isn't bad and can actually handle a function better. Not usually but sometimes. When it comes to medical treatment for those truly overwhelmed, I a don't mind government involvment. Of course keeping government in check is always the problem though.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why do we owe complete strangers prison beds, educations, fire protection, police protection, libraries, etc? Because, It Takes a Village!
Not a big fan of the whole It takes a village mentality.

But this is still not answer my question. There are people who want to take more money from the rich to pay for medical care for complete strangers. I ask why are they more obligated to Kirk here than Katiana is.

Just out of curiousity, if it takes a village does the village have the right to kick Kirk in the arse and tell him to get a full-time job, as he isn't carrying the weight the rest of the villagers are who must work full-time?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
So what's stopping you (or anyone else) from forking over $3 each paycheck for Kirk's bills? Better yet, buy the guy his own policy.
Some people do, if you know about them as in those who need help. And I am not adressing the person in this article as much as those in a situation that you never know about who really didn't have options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies