Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:54 AM

416 posts, read 698,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I will admit to being very conflicted where I stand on this issue. It is very easy to just insist that men pay all costs associated with raising a child resulting from an unplanned for pregnancy, but that really doesn't foster the notion of shared responsibility, or in this case irresponsibility. Once you have sex where pregnancy prevention has not been absolutely guaranteed, such as with sterization of at least one partner, then both parties are equally irresponsible.
Thank you for not being so close-minded like the other poster. I find it hilarious that the man is "blamed" for impregnating a woman and the other poster sees no responsibility for the preganacy at all on women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Therefore it's a woman's fault for not keeping her legs together when she gets raped.

The natural state is for a woman to expel non fertilized eggs, the only way fertilization can occur is with an outside influence of sperm.

Don't want the responsibility, keep your sperm out of an woman's body.
Otherwise, take responsibility for your actions. Don't want a kid, sterilize yourself.
The sign of a fool who is losing a debate, bring in an entirely different dimension that completely expands scope and negates the original point. Nice work.

I didn't mention rape anywhere and that's a different circumstance. When you are willing to put your emotions in check and debate rationally, I'll be here. Until then, age away hippie

Old 03-16-2010, 10:07 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
Thank you for not being so close-minded like the other poster. I find it hilarious that the man is "blamed" for impregnating a woman and the other poster sees no responsibility for the preganacy at all on women.
I think the issue is that those who are anti-choice often end up with the "if only women kept their legs closed" line, and putting women down for choosing abortion, or whatever choice they make, and in my opinion, not nearly enough emphasis is placed on teaching our sons to be more responsible. How many abortion debates have you seen where the focus is the irresponsibility of men? My guess is very few. The sad reality is that women are most often "left holding the baby", and therefore are the ones having to make the decisions.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:11 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Yeah, I guess I'm insane then.

Ah, the old "don't spread your legs excuse". It's so easy to blame the woman when you're a man who can never have an abortion...

isn't it usually the woman's decision when we have sex? true or false?

Old 03-16-2010, 10:14 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
no matter what u believe you will hear the spirit of that child you killed in the afterlife....oh wait...u dont believe in that because we only live here and now and we have no souls...im so glad that the close minded have locked up murderers or else people like you and other pro-choicers would have a bunch of chaos in this world

Old 03-16-2010, 10:31 AM

398 posts, read 818,978 times
The topic being discussed is whether or not people are for or against abortion. Thought that the thread was about whether or not everyone helps to pay for abortions if the health care bill gets passed as it reads now. Whether or not I am for or against abortion has nothing to do with whether or not I want to pay for others abortions. Personally, I think that abortion funding should be left to the individual (as is their choice to abort or not), as opposed to the coverage proposed by the health care bill.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
no matter what u believe you will hear the spirit of that child you killed in the afterlife....oh wait...u dont believe in that because we only live here and now and we have no souls...im so glad that the close minded have locked up murderers or else people like you and other pro-choicers would have a bunch of chaos in this world
hey razor rob, believe it or not I'm actually pro-life. I would never want to have an abortion and would accept responsibility for my actions.

That said, are you against the birth control bill, and any other method of contraception in which the egg is fertilized? Because if you are not but you are against abortion, you are disingenuous.

If you are against the birth control pill, then you aren't being realistic.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:56 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badland wonder View Post
The topic being discussed is whether or not people are for or against abortion. Thought that the thread was about whether or not everyone helps to pay for abortions if the health care bill gets passed as it reads now. Whether or not I am for or against abortion has nothing to do with whether or not I want to pay for others abortions. Personally, I think that abortion funding should be left to the individual (as is their choice to abort or not), as opposed to the coverage proposed by the health care bill.
Yeah, I try to not get engaged in abortion debates. For many it's an emotional issue and nothing more. It's the same arguments over and over and over again.

Regarding the health insurance thing, I think it should be covered if it's a medical issue (problems with the woman's health) as it is a medical procedure. Elective wise, I haven't quite made up my mind yet. On one hand, it is a medical procedure, on the other I don't think we should force people to pay for something they are not okay with, be it morally or religiously. Of course, if that can of worms were opened, technically Jehovah's Witnesses and other groups could try and get out of paying for ANYTHING medical considering many don't believe in blood transfusions etc.

It's a tough thing, really. My private insurance covers abortion with a $100 copay.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:41 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't need to pull anything "out of my ass" to prove your posts wrong, in so many ways. You do exceedingly well on your own.

Life = once born.
Try looking up medical terminology.
First, assertions without back up are devoid of value. Of course, you can back it up later, but there's a dim chance of that.

The term "life" does not appear in Medterms. It does however, in Medilexicon, where it is defined as:

1. Vitality, the essential condition of being alive; the state of existence characterized by such functions as metabolism, growth, reproduction, adaptation, and response to stimuli.
2. Living organisms such as animals and plants.

Don't see anything about "once born" there!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yeah, I try to not get engaged in abortion debates. For many it's an emotional issue and nothing more. It's the same arguments over and over and over again.

Regarding the health insurance thing, I think it should be covered if it's a medical issue (problems with the woman's health) as it is a medical procedure. Elective wise, I haven't quite made up my mind yet. On one hand, it is a medical procedure, on the other I don't think we should force people to pay for something they are not okay with, be it morally or religiously. Of course, if that can of worms were opened, technically Jehovah's Witnesses and other groups could try and get out of paying for ANYTHING medical considering many don't believe in blood transfusions etc.

It's a tough thing, really. My private insurance covers abortion with a $100 copay.
Whenever we do anything "group" there are going to be issues. But only if we let there be. Right now if you buy insurance from your employer or on your own there is a good chance that that company covers abortion services for some of it's members. Right now if you go to an OB/GYN there is a good chance they have been involved with abortion services. Right now if you go to a hospital there is a good chance an abortion has been provided there. All these things happen every day, business and corporations making money AND abortion services being provided. The whole health care/abortion issue is a smoke screen and something only the really gullible actually believe is a "real" issue.

Unless each person was completely independent from society there is a good change something they do is somehow going to "pay for" someone else to do something they don't approve of. And if it wasn't abortion it would be something else. That's a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies