Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:41 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ken,

Company share buyback also falsely inflates the price of the stock since less shares are in circulation. Not necessarily a vote of confidence in the boardroom rather than keep the shareholders happy.

There's good reasons and bad for share buybacks by companies.
Share buy backs
That's true - but combined with the fact that sales and profits are up and hiring is starting to resume, I'd take it as a positive trend.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I'd suggest you stop reading the propaganda and get with the progam. I can tell you as someone currently laid off and looking for employment, that the feedback I am getting is that employers are either 1) hiring part time
2) dividing duties among current employees to avoid hiring full time. This is what I am running into time and time again.
Are you saying that the stats, and/or the article, are made up?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Are you saying that the stats, and/or the article, are made up?
You know all the press plays the spin game. Take one good number among 10 bad ones and play it up. Same goes the other way..take 1 bad number among 10 good ones and play it up.

The press is a propaganda machine.

I look at annual reports. Revenue vs income vs expenses vs inventories.
I don't pay stock to employment agencies.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
You know all the press plays the spin game. Take one good number among 10 bad ones and play it up. Same goes the other way..take 1 bad number among 10 good ones and play it up.

That's a "No."

Old 03-16-2010, 10:03 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,707,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
That's a "No."
http://boombustblog.com/201001141278/Are-the-Effects-of-Unemployment-About-To-Shoot-Through-the-Roof.html This may be of interest to you Look at the seasonal unadjusted numbers Vs the seasonally adjusted numbers.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:

LOL
Did you read Caterpillar's?
How about Cisco's?
Berkshire Hathaway's?
Intel's?
Home Depot's?
Lowes?

As I said, there's a reason the stock market's on a roll. Sales and profits of ALL these companies (and many many more) are performing better than expected.

"More than 73 percent of S&P 500 companies that have reported fourth-quarter profit beat analysts’ estimates, the second-highest percentage since Bloomberg began tracking the data in 1993. A record number of companies exceeded forecasts the previous earnings season."

S&P 500 Plunge Fails to Shake Gabelli on Technology (Update3) - BusinessWeek

Sorry, but I don't think you are reading those reports, because if you were you'd know that already.

Ken

Old 03-17-2010, 07:47 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
Default Shift to Jobs Growth coming

Ken, CEO John Challenger sees what you see:

"big shift" u.s. economy poised for jobs growth john challenger says: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance=

Old 03-17-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Yup.
It's what I've been saying for MONTHS now. The thing is, as an old fart - and a student of history (intended to teach it at one time) I've seen these things happen before and the same malaise that's hovered over the country like a fog of doom is the same malaise I saw in the later Carter and early Reagan years - a feeling that "this time is different, this time it will take DECADES to recover". It was silly BS THEN and it's silly BS NOW (it's understandable BS - but it's STILL BS). "The economy WILL recover - and likely faster than most people think" - I have said that myself several times now on this board - and I stand by it. Now that is being echoed here in your article:

"Not only will job growth return sooner than most observers expect, the CEO predicts high-paying jobs for skilled workers will be created in growth industries such as health care and biotech, energy and alternative energy, security and by companies able to tap into the explosive growth in emerging markets."

Ken

Old 03-17-2010, 11:56 AM

If you want to see the changes coming to the unemployment rate, one needs only look at the DRAMATIC change in the GDP over the last 4 quarters - from -6.4% to -.7% to +2.2% to +5.9%. That's 12.3 point change in a year - a huge (and rapid) improvement - and one that points to an almost inevitable increase to come in hiring.

United States GDP Growth Rate

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Businesses converting temp jobs to permanent positions-united-states-gdp-growth-rate-chart  

Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
LOL
Did you read Caterpillar's?
How about Cisco's?
Berkshire Hathaway's?
Intel's?
Home Depot's?
Lowes?

As I said, there's a reason the stock market's on a roll. Sales and profits of ALL these companies (and many many more) are performing better than expected.

"More than 73 percent of S&P 500 companies that have reported fourth-quarter profit beat analysts’ estimates, the second-highest percentage since Bloomberg began tracking the data in 1993. A record number of companies exceeded forecasts the previous earnings season."

S&P 500 Plunge Fails to Shake Gabelli on Technology (Update3) - BusinessWeek

Sorry, but I don't think you are reading those reports, because if you were you'd know that already.

Ken
Ken I do read reports. Not all of them but of shares I own.

IBM - revenue down yet income up....they cut expenses (15K US employees in 2009)
IBM: Income Statement for International Business Machines - Yahoo! Finance

Apple- revenue up, income up. no cut here to gain a profit there.
Annual report not on yahoo. 47% of sales were foreign though.

Coca Cola - revenue down yet income up ...due to foreign sales and tax treatment of foreign income
KO: Income Statement for Coca-Cola Company (The) Common - Yahoo! Finance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies