Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 04:00 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Here was an interesting article about how gay men are more likely to have older brothers than straight men. One more piece of evidence that sexual orientation is at least partly genetic...although I'm sure the "being gay is a choice crowd" will deny this piece of evidence as propaganda, as they always do.

Men with older brothers more likely to be gay - More health news- msnbc.com

Old 03-15-2010, 04:33 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Didn't read this article, though I have run across this study before.

I'm not sure what it does or doesn't prove. Could it not be argued that having older brothers is a cause of a younger brother being gay because of environmental reasons?

I know it's strictly anecdotal, but I have a gay friend who has two older sister, and a younger sister and brother. Not sure how that does or does not play into anything.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Didn't read this article, though I have run across this study before.

I'm not sure what it does or doesn't prove. Could it not be argued that having older brothers is a cause of a younger brother being gay because of environmental reasons?

I know it's strictly anecdotal, but I have a gay friend who has two older sister, and a younger sister and brother. Not sure how that does or does not play into anything.
The article covers your question and ruled out environmental factors.

And of course, not all gay men have older brothers. I'm gay and don't have an older brother, but I do know an awful lot of gay men who do indeed have older brothers. Just anecdotal, but the research jibes with my personal experience.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The article covers your question and ruled out environmental factors.

And of course, not all gay men have older brothers. I'm gay and don't have an older brother, but I do know an awful lot of gay men who do indeed have older brothers. Just anecdotal, but the research jibes with my personal experience.
Actually, the law of averages would say that a lot of gay men would have older brothers. And... well, a lot would have younger brothers.

I'm the youngest of 3 sons, born in 3 years. Can't say that I've ever had so much as a homosexual urge.

Also, in the spirit of fairness, I think we have to be honest about environmental factors. Again, I readily admit that this is anecdotal, but I've known quite a few gays over the years - and each of them had an emotionally absent father and over-bearing and overly emotional mother. My friend I mentioned earlier is one such man. There does seem to be some sort of a connection there, doesn't there?

Old 03-15-2010, 05:30 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times
Quote:
Actually, the law of averages would say that a lot of gay men would have older brothers. And... well, a lot would have younger brothers.

I'm the youngest of 3 sons, born in 3 years. Can't say that I've ever had so much as a homosexual urge.

Also, in the spirit of fairness, I think we have to be honest about environmental factors. Again, I readily admit that this is anecdotal, but I've known quite a few gays over the years - and each of them had an emotionally absent father and over-bearing and overly emotional mother. My friend I mentioned earlier is one such man. There does seem to be some sort of a connection there, doesn't there?
Haha, what crap. In fact I had an emotionally absent mother and father and i'm bi!!! Amazing how you repeatedly dismiss physiological causes of gayness. It sounds like you don't want it to be something people are born with.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Oh please, that last statement is such crap, Omaha!!! It just doesn't hold any water.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Haha, what crap. In fact I had an emotionally absent mother and father and i'm bi!!! Amazing how you repeatedly dismiss physiological causes of gayness. It sounds like you don't want it to be something people are born with.
Sounds to me like you're defensive and angry.

Why not grow up, and put a cork in the attitude. You might be given some respect.

Until then...

Old 03-15-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Oh please, that last statement is such crap, Omaha!!! It just doesn't hold any water.
So an obscure, controversial and "iffy" article about gay men having older brothers is legitimate, and the fact that a lot of gay men have overbearing mothers is NOT a legitimate possibility?

Why not provide some credible proof that there is no correlation?

Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
So an obscure, controversial and "iffy" article about gay men having older brothers is legitimate, and the fact that a lot of gay men have overbearing mothers is NOT a legitimate possibility?

Why not provide some credible proof that there is no correlation?
Why is this article iffy? Just like the brain studies I posted before were iffy according to you.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Sounds to me like you're defensive and angry.

Why not grow up, and put a cork in the attitude. You might be given some respect.

Until then...
I tell you why I gave you no respect- because your argument has no scientific credibility. I did not have an overbearing mother or anything else. In fact it was a pretty normal childhood, despite my parents indifference. The idea that I had some sort of choice is ludicrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies