Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 07:06 PM

793 posts, read 3,122,300 times

Advertisements

Condo rules, housing associations are different obviously. Someone else's property value isn't relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 09:24 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I just read of a new museum opened in KY that portrays the earth as 6,000 years old and dinsaurs walking the earth with man, that's pretty spooky.

Not only that 6,000 years ago did the dinosaurs walked on earth with man, but that there was NO City-Data for man to use then.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:53 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Neonazis. Those who wish to see all immigrants, legal or illegal, purged out and have English be made the "official" language and Christianity the "official" religion of the US.
Don't like the religious part But English should be the official Language. But All Legal Immigrants should be allowed about 5 years to learn it. I believe even Teddy Roosevelt felt that way. This isn't to say one could speak only English but when I make a call I don't want to hear for English press 1. I cancel my accounts with those companies as soon as I get a person. You are in the USA learn English. If I went to Mexico I would learn Spanish. It is just Laziness on their part. To easy to say No Comprenda. We need a emoticon for ***** slap LOL anyway English good Religion well standardized religion Bad.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
My point was: if my, or your, actions cause financial damage to our neighbor are we not responsible for that damage? Do we not owe our neighbor the difference in selling value of his house without our gazebo or with our gazebo?

I think we should have the freedom to build whatever we please but we should also have the responsibility for the effect of what we build.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:50 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,038 times
Spooky? People that cannot figure out if they are a man or a woman. You would think everytime they went the bathroom it would make it pretty clear.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:00 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Spooky? People that cannot figure out if they are a man or a woman. You would think everytime they went the bathroom it would make it pretty clear.
Nature, sadly, sometimes makes mistakes.

For a moment, imagine that you awoke one morning in a man's body, just like in those cheesey teen movies. Your brain is still exactly the same, you just have a man's body.

You see men and are attracted to them, you see women's clothes and want to wear them, you talk as female, have female mannerisms, and most importantly, you're deeply attracted to men just as you were the day before. Do a brain scan and doctors would see your brain wired as woman's brain. With transgendered people, the same thing happens. You look at the brain activity images and you can identify the sex of the person based on the reaction to certain stimuli only their genitals don't match what the scan says. These people really are wired to be a different sex than they are.

That's what it's like for the transgendered. Our sexuality is mostly in the brain, not the genitals. There are boys who, because of botched circumcisions or other trauma, lose their genitals as infants and are then reassigned their gender to female. From before they leave the hospital these boys are treated and raised as girls yet they grow and take on the behavior of boys. They are drawn to male games, toys, clothes, and behaviors and this is because their brain was born male. When older, though given female hormones, they're attracted to women, not men.

Transgenderism, like many other things, is scary if you don't understand it but even scarier for the people who suffer because of it. They just want the body that matches their brain.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:35 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
My point was: if my, or your, actions cause financial damage to our neighbor are we not responsible for that damage? Do we not owe our neighbor the difference in selling value of his house without our gazebo or with our gazebo?

I think we should have the freedom to build whatever we please but we should also have the responsibility for the effect of what we build.
This is a good question. Here in the rural area there are houses of all sorts within a few hundred feet of each other. Tiny cottages next to 200 year old well-kept historical houses, next to contemporaries, next to large moderns. Who does what isn't really an issue because you generally can't see many of the other houses nearby but in other cases you can. We don't have any rancor. So long as somebody keeps their junk on their property, we're ok with it. We don't have any shacks with rusted cars around but there is no law that says someone can't.

What we do now have are issues with new houses being built near existing farms creating complaints of the occasional resultant odor of eau de manure and noise complaints that there's machinery running at 4am. As our laws are, it's a case of who was there first and if you bought a house next to a farm, you need to be willing to accept the consequences of living next to a farm. Does it reduce their property values? It may, yes. When the buyers bought the home they knew it was next to a farm, they just didn't know what it was really like. Same deal with the quarry in town. The developments, with HOA covenants, are much different. There is one with particularly heavy restrictions and I couldn't imagine living there. They even dictate the color of the window curtains that can face the street and distribute a list of what plants you may plant in your garden. It's nuts. Yet people move to these places and think, somehow, that all this mass conformity will get them a few more thousand dollars if and when they sell.

I think there should be zoning restrictions as to the type and size of building which can be built in a place. Would I want a skyscraper next to my log cabin? No. Its mere existance could create serious environmental impact and may block my solar panels. Yes it's far-fetched but more than a few billionaires are a bit nuts and you never know. However, I believe that so long as you aren't going to suck-up all my ground water or unreasonably block my views or sky rights, and your structure is environmentally sound, then fine by me. As I view it, your house is your house and if you want to paint it purple then go right ahead. Purple's my favorite color anyway . You've got to live in your house, not the next owner's. Why live your live restricted by what a future buyer may think in 10, 20, 50 years in the future or maybe never? Do that and then you've chained yourself to a house. You may, or may not, get more money for your house later on, but at what cost to your personal liberties? Further, nothing says you can't reverse the changes later on when it comes time to sell. As I see it, let your neighbors be responsible for their property and you for yours. If the economy tanks a HOA won't mean squat. Fine everyone all you want, if there's a mass exodus of people from your development or houses get sold for taxes, then your HOA will disintegrate as there will be no one able to afford to live in it. Worse, if you need to change your house or need to have your property re-zoned to sell it, then the HOA stands in the way.

We've seen issues like this with historic districts. What were beautiful houses are now slums because the zoning can't be changed to commercial when all the area around the homes is so commercial that night is lit-up like day. Nobody wants to buy the houses to live in them because the surrounding area has changed the past 20 years into something nobody who originally lived there could imagine. So now houses that were supposed to stay historically beautiful are now shabby and the owners can't afford to maintain them the way the city says they need to.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:01 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
The thought of another 4 years with a Republican in office...Romney puts the double spooky into me.
Having a democrat like Hillary in the White House !

Old 06-08-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
-phonetapping citizens' lines without a warrant (due process and privacy)
-strip-searching in airports (privacy)
-Detaining Americans indefinitely, without charge (civil rights, Habeaus Corpus)
-Checking medical records and library records of private citizens (privacy)
-Making "free speech zones" because apparently there is no free speech outside of that zone (right to peacefully assemble)

...I'm sorry, did you want fries with that? There are more that I can dig up.
And this has been done to you how many times ? Get real, private business spies on you more than the Feds ever have ! If the Feds have even ever spied on you !

Old 06-08-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
So just because we are the "highest of standards" by some people's thoughts, we shouldn't strive to be better and we should not worry about rights being taken away? America's rights were given to us with the blood and fighting of those who originally didn't have them but wanted them so bad they'd lay their lives down for them. RIghts, once granted, do not just stay there. We cannot sit like lemmings and expect that they'll always be there. Every day you must make sure that those rights that people DIED for are still there, that you are still American enough to fight for what this country was built on.
Your rights or my rights as Americans have not been taken away....Get off your liberal soap box and open your eyes, the world changed for Americans after 9/11.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies