Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:57 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Granted, China may not be minding its own business but neither is it dropping bombs, openly attacking other forms of governments and their leaders; and making itself the most hated country on the face of the earth either. The bottom line is...China has worldwide credibility and America (Thank you very much Bush and Condi) does not.

Congratulations for the most absurd post to come along these forums in a long time.
Unless of course any nation that also harvests organs for sale from tortured political prisoners, supplies a real-life sequel to the Gulf of Tonkin by mutilating Vietnamese fishermen via navy warships, and administers forced abortions is considered "credible". Oh and just as a precaution: careful if you decide to visit and feel the urge to visit the noble country China apparently is: when catching that tourist charter bus in downtown Shanghai, don't mistake it for those mobile execution buses loaded with native dissidents: just average run-of-the-day-mill stuff, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 12:21 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
I agree in spirit with those that say we ought to put more emphasis on solving our own country's problems before injecting ourselves into situations that don't directly affect us.

However, the problem is that not every other country thinks that way. Not the least of which is China as others has mentioned. In fact, I would find it interesting that people would find China a "shining example" of international responsibility when it is not even a democracy but a dictatorship. And they have a vested interest in associating with and propping up other dictatorships and otherwise politically oppressive regimes.

Besides, the last time we were almost exclusively isolationist, we almost got bowled over by Germany, Japan and Italy. That's not to say that the "shoot first, find WMDs later" policy of the current Administration is any wiser...

Old 06-06-2007, 12:33 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
Congratulations for the most absurd post to come along these forums in a long time.
Unless of course any nation that also harvests organs for sale from tortured political prisoners, supplies a real-life sequel to the Gulf of Tonkin by mutilating Vietnamese fishermen via navy warships, and administers forced abortions is considered "credible". Oh and just as a precaution: careful if you decide to visit and feel the urge to visit the noble country China apparently is: when catching that tourist charter bus in downtown Shanghai, don't mistake it for those mobile execution buses loaded with native dissidents: just average run-of-the-day-mill stuff, you know.
Don't forget the little "let's replace children's cough syrup with antifreeze and sell it to South America" stunt either. While we're at it, what sort of international respect are they getting for facilitating the poisoning of our pets?

Old 06-06-2007, 12:40 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,412 times
Ask Korea too.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:12 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I agree in spirit with those that say we ought to put more emphasis on solving our own country's problems before injecting ourselves into situations that don't directly affect us.

However, the problem is that not every other country thinks that way. Not the least of which is China as others has mentioned. In fact, I would find it interesting that people would find China a "shining example" of international responsibility when it is not even a democracy but a dictatorship. And they have a vested interest in associating with and propping up other dictatorships and otherwise politically oppressive regimes.

Besides, the last time we were almost exclusively isolationist, we almost got bowled over by Germany, Japan and Italy. That's not to say that the "shoot first, find WMDs later" policy of the current Administration is any wiser...
I think that you missed my point. First, I was not advocating China as a "shining example" of anything. China has big faults; I know that. My point was that China; like many nations, is not in the business of going before the world stage, on a daily basis and telling the rest of the world what is best for them. It is obvious that the rest of the world does not appreciate it and is becoming increasingly frustrated with our government for doing so. Secondly, I did not suggest isolationism as a solution. Obviously, political and economic cooperation are vital and necessary for the United States. The problem is that the current leadership of this country keeps making its list of enemies longer and longer in the process.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:23 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,412 times
As Elrond said, "Our list of allies grows thin."

Old 06-06-2007, 02:18 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
I think that you missed my point. First, I was not advocating China as a "shining example" of anything. China has big faults; I know that. My point was that China; like many nations, is not in the business of going before the world stage, on a daily basis and telling the rest of the world what is best for them. It is obvious that the rest of the world does not appreciate it and is becoming increasingly frustrated with our government for doing so. Secondly, I did not suggest isolationism as a solution. Obviously, political and economic cooperation are vital and necessary for the United States. The problem is that the current leadership of this country keeps making its list of enemies longer and longer in the process.
True, I didn't attribute the "shining example" quote to you specifically. But in your initial post, you did say that you "sense that China, as a world power is much more highly respected throughout the world than the the United States and sets a much better example of how a superpower should conduct itself in international affairs". If the majority of the rest of the world agrees with you, that's bad news that a dictatorship is respected more than a democracy.

I also didn't mean to imply that you specifically preferred that the US have an isolationist stance. To me, that seems to be the "standard" solution that many people offer of similar views offer. I'm glad we agree that it is necessary and beneficial for the US to get involved with other countries. I think we might also agree that the Administration may just be picking some of the wrong battles.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:04 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
As Elrond said, "Our list of allies grows thin."
Maybe that's our problem. Our "allies" should be based upon what we really do best and doesn't involve our soldiers. Promote business and trade with those that are beneficial to both side's interests. We don't need to audition for "Most Popular".

We need to stop imposing our view of human rights and our way of governing. That's Jimmy Carter pie in the sky idealism.

Some cultures either need or desire a dictatorship to get along in life. If they didn't they would do something about it. (like we did in the late 18th century).

It's not our business if it's not threat to the US population.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:12 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Default Why cant America mind its own business?

We are! How the rest of the world behaves is our business!!!

Old 06-06-2007, 03:36 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
We are! How the rest of the world behaves is our business!!!
Is that so? Well tell me...in what year did God assign such a great responsibility to so humble of a nation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies