U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2010, 07:27 AM
 
15,291 posts, read 4,916,643 times
Reputation: 3573
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
sure it does...

but when people are defensive about their sexual proclivities they also feel defensive about what they perceive as people criticizing their sexual orientation choice.... EVEN IF THE POINT OF THE STUDY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION CHOICE - and deals with the numbers only.
You lost me with the sexual orientation "choice" statement. Now if you had said "choice" of risky sexual behaviour....
The study does not deal with "numbers only". No study does. Data analysis takes many factors into account. Your statement suggests you haven't read the actual study.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Can I explain it for you?

The homosexual community ignores the fact that gay men are 44x more likely to spread HIV because of careless sexual activity.

The homosexual leaders refuse to address this fact and simply ignore it (chock it up to "boys with be boys")

And no "homosexual activists" speak out publically to bring attention to the numbers.

Did you watch the video clip I posted?

Please watch it and discuss it with me. It deals directly with the subject of this post.

LAPD cracking down on lewd acts in parks - 3/12/10 - Los Angeles-Southern California-LA Breaking News, Weather, Traffic, Sports - abc7.com
I watched the video. Did you miss the part where they said the majority of arrests were of married hispanic men? I'm not sure what this has to do with the "gay community" as these men are not involved in the gay community.

Where are you getting these ideas about homosexual activists and leaders not caring about risky sexual behaviour? Any areas I know of with a high number of gay men is absolutely flooded with free condoms, education material, and warnings about safe sex. The Safe Sex message is very strong in the gay community. Unfortunately this message doesn't reach married closeted bi-sexual men on the downlow.

I also read the CDC report itself. You keep using words like "homosexuals" or gay community, yet the CDC press release speaks only of men who have sex with men (MSM), bisexual and homosexual men. Not just homosexuals or the gay community. Not all men who have sex with men are gay.

You also stated "The homosexual community ignores the fact that gay men are 44x more likely to spread HIV because of careless sexual activity." No, your prejudice is showing here.

The CDC press release states "the rate of new HIV diagnoses among men who have sex with men (MSM) is more than 44 times that of other men and more than 40 times that of women."

In my opinion, the biggest problem seems to be risky sexual behavior by closeted bi-sexual men or homosexual men on the downlow, not the gay community.

And as stated in the summary of the CDC press release itself, homophobia and stigma is definitely a factor:

Quote:
Additionally, factors such as homophobia and stigma can prevent MSM from seeking prevention, testing, and treatment services.
CDC €“ NCHHSTP Newsroom €“ MSM Denominator Press Release March 10, 2010

Last edited by Ceist; 03-20-2010 at 07:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2010, 09:47 AM
 
15,291 posts, read 4,916,643 times
Reputation: 3573
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
So now I come back to curbing risky sexual behavior such as anonymous sex with multiple partners. Which is why I posted the recent news clip which nobody watched about gay men cruising Elysian Park for anonymous sex near a baseball park where kids play.

LAPD cracking down on lewd acts in parks - 3/12/10 - Los Angeles-Southern California-LA Breaking News, Weather, Traffic, Sports - abc7.com

#1. It has to be about correcting behavior like this which spreads HIV among men and also to their unsuspecting female sex partners.
The video you keep harping on about states that the majority of the men arrested were hispanic married men.

So are you saying that...

The majority of gay men are hispanic and married and have sex in parks?

The majority of gay men have "unsuspecting female sex partners"?

The majority of the "gay community" are hispanic married men who have sex in parks, get HIV and spread it to their unsupsecting female sex partners?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2010, 09:53 AM
 
15,291 posts, read 4,916,643 times
Reputation: 3573
Interesting commententary on the CDC Press release - putting it in perspective:

Box Turtle Bulletin The alarmist and misleading new headlines about HIV transmission
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2010, 12:00 PM
 
975 posts, read 675,892 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Reinforce the dangers of careless sexual behavior to all young people.

Today, in the 2000's sex is marketed to young people as something very desirable that everyone is doing. There are no more sexual boundaries. Sexuality today has an "indefinable" omnisexual quality. They are bombarded by a lot of visual sexual imagery including magazine adverts, commercials to sell them products, music videos, clothing and body art and modification in the age of reality television. There is a lot of indulgence and self worship going on.

I see nothing wrong with reinforcing the fact that sex shouldn't be regarded as a sport and that there are consequences such as disease and pregnancy which can result when sex is engaged in carelessly.

When people treat their bodies like a drive-thru restaurant they shouldn't be surprised when at the end of the day their energy and life force is all tapped out and they're left a burnt out spoiled shell. Some people equate any sexual attention as love and acceptance. Why not direct the energy of young people and their interests into other things to occupy their time like sports, and music, dance, volunteer work. The lives of young people should not revolve around sexual exploration.
Fine and dandy suggestions, but they don't address the issue at all. I think you have NO CLUE just how deeply and how negatively affecting our society's ever-present stigmatization and disgust of homosexuality is to gay children. Teenagers have an incredibly hard time coping with their place in this world without that added pressure. Image bearing the additional cross of homosexuality.

Just for one minute, put yourself in the shoes of a 13 year old girl, or a 14 year old boy who knows full well that she or he is homosexual (most people are aware of their sexuality years earlier than this). Image a constant bombardment from television, from the media, from your parents, from students at school, from teachers, from your church, all telling you that what you are is WRONG. That you are inherently INCORRECT. Can you imagine the amount of internalized shame? Image waking up every day praying that you'll somehow magically change - and then imagine the self-hatred you start to develop when you can't. Image being so terrified about something so central to who you are that you hide it and can't even mention it for years - perhaps even a decade or more. Children aren't equipped to deal with this (most adults aren't).

It's hardly a wonder that gay teens account from somewhere between 33-50% of all teen suicides (depending on which study you read). Is it really a surprise that nearly half of all homeless teenagers are gay, or that gay teens abuse drugs and alcohol at much high rates.

Your solution to this problem: "Reinforce the dangers of careless sexual behavior to all young people." "Direct the energy of young people and their interests into other things to occupy their time." That sounds like a great and effective way to get gay teenagers to start loving themselves (that's sarcasm, in case you can't tell).

It's not that what you say is a bad idea. It's fantastic. Of course we should educate teenagers about the dangers of careless sexual behaviors and direct them towards positive activities. However, that in no way addresses the issue of WHY (the root causes) gay teens hate themselves and turn to self-destructive behaviors.

Last edited by denverkid; 03-20-2010 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2010, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Houston
3,567 posts, read 1,492,889 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Doesn't address the issue at all. I think you have NO CLUE just how deeply and how negatively affecting our society's ever-present stigmatization and disgust of homosexuality is to gay children. Teenagers have an incredibly hard time coping with their place in this world without that added pressure. Image bearing the additional cross of homosexuality.

Just for one minute, put yourself in the shoes of a 13 year old girl, or a 14 year old boy who knows full well that she or he is homosexual (most people are aware of their sexuality years earlier than this). Image a constant bombardment from television, from the media, from your parents, from students at school, from teachers, from your church, all telling you that what you are is WRONG. That you are inherently INCORRECT. Can you imagine the amount of internalized shame? Image waking up every day praying that you'll somehow magically change - and then imagine the self-hatred you start to develop when you can't. Image being so terrified about something so central to who you are that you hide it and can't even mention it for years - perhaps even a decade or more. Children aren't equipped to deal with this (most adults aren't).

It's hardly a wonder that gay teens account from somewhere between 33-50% of all teen suicides (depending on which study you read). Is it really a surprise that nearly half of all homeless teenagers are gay, or that gay teen abuse drugs and alcohol at much high rates.

Your solution to this problem: "Reinforce the dangers of careless sexual behavior to all young people." "Direct the energy of young people and their interests into other things to occupy their time." Sound like a great and effective way to get gay teenagers to start loving themselves (that's sarcasm, in case you can't tell).

It's not that what you say is a bad idea. It's fantastic. Of course we should educate teenagers about the dangers of careless sexual behaviors and direct them towards positive activities. However, that in no way addresses the issue of WHY (the root causes) gay teens turn to self-destructive behaviors.
Forget about him. Can't help the bible reader bullies.
Funny how they focus on gay people and no word on HIV rates among straight people that outnumber those of the gay people by far. Nobody cares about that, it seems. But no surprise here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2010, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
25,250 posts, read 14,553,926 times
Reputation: 6463
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The homosexual community ignores the fact that gay men are 44x more likely to spread HIV because of careless sexual activity.

The homosexual leaders refuse to address this fact and simply ignore it (chock it up to "boys with be boys")
What a disgusting display of ignorance and anti-gay sentiment. Your statements are completely false. It takes a real lack of integrity and hatred for gays in order to spew lies like that.

Since you're so "concerned" about gay men and HIV, what have you done to help the situation? How have you been involved in the fight against HIV? My hunch is that you've done nothing at all but pontificate from the comfort of your home.

And really - why are you so concerned? You're not a gay man, and you're not having gay sex. You seem to think that HIV is a gays-only disease, so how does HIV affect you directly? What are the fundamental reasons why you post anti-gay comments every time there's a conversation about gays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2010, 04:53 PM
 
15,291 posts, read 4,916,643 times
Reputation: 3573
^^^
I'm curious to know that answer too. What's the cause of the fascination/obsession?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2010, 04:58 PM
 
Location: An absurd world.
5,153 posts, read 5,558,060 times
Reputation: 1936
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What a disgusting display of ignorance and anti-gay sentiment. Your statements are completely false. It takes a real lack of integrity and hatred for gays in order to spew lies like that.

Since you're so "concerned" about gay men and HIV, what have you done to help the situation? How have you been involved in the fight against HIV? My hunch is that you've done nothing at all but pontificate from the comfort of your home.

And really - why are you so concerned? You're not a gay man, and you're not having gay sex. You seem to think that HIV is a gays-only disease, so how does HIV affect you directly? What are the fundamental reasons why you post anti-gay comments every time there's a conversation about gays?
You have to remember that you're speaking to somebody who isn't too bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2010, 02:27 AM
 
Location: Boise
4,420 posts, read 3,379,320 times
Reputation: 1654
that says to me that gay men have more sexual partners, and are engaging in more risky sexual behaviors.. has nothing to do with gayness.. Because Lesbians I'm sure have a lower rate of HIV than everyone.. it comes down to penetration and not using a condom..
as a gay man myself I see it for what it is.. BUT I would never agree with someone saying that it is a disease associated with being gay.. or that it's something to throw in the gay communities face over because no matter the poor choices or behaviours of someone or a community it doesn't make them deserve to be infected with HIV.. NOBODY DESERVES such a disease...

Seems people want to point fingers at the sexual activities of gay men in some attempt to throw salt on a wound or just to get on a soap box. I assure you the gay community is well aware of HIV and the threats. What I have found is that because of the overall lack of acceptance in society, gay men are 100 times more likely to suffer from depression and turn to drugs which is where 90 percent of HIV infection in gay men as come from in recent years..Meth is a huge contributor to HIV infection among gay men specifically. To understand the issue you have to look at all contributing factors. To just give one liner tough love rebuttles is great.. I mean it's totally logical and reasonable.. but it's just preaching to the choir for those of us that are gay and understand the problem.. and to the other's.. it's like telling a smoker that smoking will kill them... it's useless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2010, 10:47 AM
 
2,015 posts, read 1,746,476 times
Reputation: 2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasse View Post
And it has nothing to do with being gay.
It's no secret that gays are facing a much higher risk of HIV infections than others. The risk of HIV infection really depends on the type of unprotected sexual contact you have and the risk of receptive anal sex I believe is somewhere around 1 in 125 while vaginal intercourse has 1 chance of infection in 100,000 unprotected sexual encounters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:34 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top