U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-18-2010, 03:19 PM
 
Location: An absurd world.
5,152 posts, read 5,457,942 times
Reputation: 1928
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Have you even seen some of the signs the teaparty carries>
Talk about racists. The tea party are just of radicals. THEY bring race into it all the time.
Pretty much. They're like the anti-Japanese propaganda signs the US used in WWII.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2010, 03:21 PM
 
377 posts, read 154,896 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Oh they are scared of them, alright; but, not for the reasons you stated.



Consider:
  • They are better informed about our Constitution and the limited power it has given the Federal Government, than most on the left, because they have taken it upon themselves to become informed
  • Contrary to your statement, they know history better than most on the left, and they know history (I dare say) better than most high school graduates today. This is not to say that there are no young people involved in the movement. There are many, but their parents have seen to it that they are knowledgeable about who we are as Americans, and where there rights come from.
  • They have the facts; and, they are using them effectively. That is why so many politicians ceased to hold "town hall" meetings. They could not stand up to constituents who were better armed with the facts than they. Many were whisked away by their "handlers" rather than let them become embarrassed. Most of these politicians looked like the fools that they are at these meetings.
  • Hysteria? I see no "hysteria". What I do see are American citizens demanding honest answers from their elected representatives who have been ignoring them, and demanding that they be heard, as the Constitution has said we have that right.
....
They know nothing of:
  • the US constitution--most are tin foil hat tax protesters pushing the same discredited tax avoidance arguments
  • history--they always state the capitalist origins of our country when in fact it was mercantilism, capitalism didn't take off until the 1800s
  • They know nothing of the facts of taxation: they complain we're taxed too much when in fact we are taxed lightly.
  • It's a fringe group comprised of political opportunists, the uneducated, misers, know-nothings and opponents of Obama.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
680 posts, read 729,124 times
Reputation: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I don't know a single person who is 'afraid' of the tea parties.
Allow me to introduce myself: My name is George. I live in Austin, TX. I am afraid of the TEA party. I'm generally afraid of the Right and its extremely successful propaganda machine, AKA Fox News and talk radio.

Perhaps I shouldn't be afraid, as it's healthy to have debate in an open society such as ours. But I do fear that the rhetoric has heated up to a point where there may be violence. At the very least, we're seeing a level of polarization unknown in American politics for almost a century.

At least we don't have presidential candidates dueling in the streets, nor a "civil war" (what a strange oxymoron!) Things have been worse before, but in my lifetime... well, I used to go to some pretty violent anti-war demonstrations in the early 70s, so never mind.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
2,192 posts, read 1,321,697 times
Reputation: 1112
Tea party folks are mostly a bunch of old white rednecks that wish things were still the same as they were in the 50s, when no one question whites and their way of life.

It is what it is.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 03:26 PM
 
Location: DFW
1,775 posts, read 1,493,658 times
Reputation: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
I personally fear the TEA Party because it represents the worst of human nature and it is a growing movement that threatens our democracy. Contrary to its claims to loving America and every principle on which our nation was founded, all I see are people screaming and holding Obama posters with Hitler mustaches or the "Joker" white-face, never offering a solution to the problems that face us other than veiled threats of a new revolution, stoking the embers of seething hatred towards the growing minority populations, the new long overdue civil rights of gays, the fact that they "don't recognize our America any more" because we elected someone with dark skin whose name doesn't sound like John Adams or Ronald Reagan... I could carry on at length.

I fear Fox News and their brainwashing scare tactics that are an echo of the successful Nazi rallying cries that united Germans in an eerily similar campaign to oust those who aren't like them. I fear violence from right wingers who finally snap after watching too much Glenn Beck. I fear all those pasty-white flabby middle-aged anti-Christians who call themselves "Christians" but act exactly in opposition to everything Christ exemplified and taught. In short, I fear your unbounded hatred toward everything you fear.
Your stupid comparisons give no validity to your argument. It is quite obvious you can only write insults.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,409 posts, read 1,123,860 times
Reputation: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Last_2009 View Post
Why is the Left so afraid of the Tea Party movement?
Same reason we are afraid of Alzheimer's.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Metro-Detroit area
4,061 posts, read 1,751,214 times
Reputation: 2107
What's there to fear!!!

A bunch of people with romantic notions of living in small town villages free from government regulations, and are willing to make it happen through propaganda, mis-information, ignorance, racial animus, and the most un-American un-Christian behavior they can display in word and deed!!


They are a bunch of self-centered ignorant sob's whose motto should read, " we are the party of the fading white fortunate and we'll be damned if anyone else gets a seat at the table".

Christianity is only how they narrowly choose to interpret it, the Constitution is only how they choose to interpret it, reality is how they choose to interpret it, and anyone who doesn't agree fully are branded Socialist, communist, Muslim, Terrorist, Un-American, Ni@@er, and Ni@@ar,foreign born, Husein,etc ad nauseam!!

They decry the size of Federal government while driving down Federal highways, in vehicles that are safe due to Federal laws, made safe by policemen paid in part by the Federal government!!

The conveniently admit that they can't control or dis-associate themselves from the open racist who display the crudest form of behavior toward a sitting President and have threatened to use fire arms against him if necessary, these are the same people who will voluntarily lie, cheat, and steal in an effort to foster the insanity that the previous admin was the most damaging to the values of this country in the last hundred years!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
15,909 posts, read 11,396,319 times
Reputation: 7675
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
Allow me to introduce myself: My name is George. I live in Austin, TX. I am afraid of the TEA party. I'm generally afraid of the Right and its extremely successful propaganda machine, AKA Fox News and talk radio.

Perhaps I shouldn't be afraid, as it's healthy to have debate in an open society such as ours. But I do fear that the rhetoric has heated up to a point where there may be violence. At the very least, we're seeing a level of polarization unknown in American politics for almost a century.

At least we don't have presidential candidates dueling in the streets, nor a "civil war" (what a strange oxymoron!) Things have been worse before, but in my lifetime... well, I used to go to some pretty violent anti-war demonstrations in the early 70s, so never mind.
You have every right to be afraid in Texas, between the School textbooks and those groups around Amarillo, it is coming unglued fast. The people pushing these Tea Parties have their own agenda and i fear that includes Armed Confrontation with the Federal Government
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,134 posts, read 13,414,704 times
Reputation: 15693
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
Allow me to introduce myself: My name is George. I live in Austin, TX. I am afraid of the TEA party. I'm generally afraid of the Right and its extremely successful propaganda machine, AKA Fox News and talk radio.

Perhaps I shouldn't be afraid, as it's healthy to have debate in an open society such as ours. But I do fear that the rhetoric has heated up to a point where there may be violence. At the very least, we're seeing a level of polarization unknown in American politics for almost a century.

At least we don't have presidential candidates dueling in the streets, nor a "civil war" (what a strange oxymoron!) Things have been worse before, but in my lifetime... well, I used to go to some pretty violent anti-war demonstrations in the early 70s, so never mind.
Actually, I could go for a good duel about now

Yes, I can completely agree with you that it is in fact getting worse. I'm afraid of the fringe on any group, but fear is what gives them power. Of course, if you ignore them, they will end up hurting someone/something to gain attention, like a spoiled little kid.

Regarding the debating, there isn't any from them. The only debate I hear is 'keep your government hands off my medicare' and the like...which isn't intelligent at all. These are the type of people who want zero taxes, but still demand trash pickup (although, it's privatized where I am) and road repair and schools etc etc and think the private sector will pick all that up for cheaper. The way corporations are run in this country, I really doubt the private sector could do much better.

Maybe I'm naive. Maybe it's because I'm young. But I thought civil discourse was always the best strategy, not mocking posters and screaming about 'white slavery' and the like. We are in a constitutional republic, are we not? Can we vote these people out of office and replace them with people who represent us as citizens? Or are we just going to get violent and bitchy and not get a damn thing done.

There's a lot of crap that needs to be fixed in this country, but yelling and screaming isn't accomplishing anything.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 03:30 PM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,502 posts, read 7,745,838 times
Reputation: 4787
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Tea party folks are mostly a bunch of old white rednecks that wish things were still the same as they were in the 50s, when no one question whites and their way of life.

It is what it is.

That funny, the last tea party I attended was about 1000 people and it was very mixed races.

Nice try to paint it something it is not.

YOU are in the minority.

The group WILL take back America and yes, we want it to be like it is suppose to be.

Less government, personal responsibility, less taxes and fiscal responsibility.

The movement is real and will change things in America.

The idiot in the WH and those criminal lawbreaker dems in congress need to listen.

We wont allow your party to turn us into a European country. Not going to happen.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top