Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 01:04 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
They had been doing disc replacement in Europe for 20 years - you say. Guess what else they have in Europe -
Universal Health Care
BUT they dont have our red tape ridden FDA and our government

see the problem...all you see is a finish line, but dont even realize it for a different race

LOOK at the numbers; look at the cost of our current systems: the more costly medicare; or even the less costly medicaid....go ahead look at the numbers

1. MEDICARE currently covers (only partially, it is not 100% coverage) about 40 million (about 1/7th of the population) seniors and has an ANNUAL COST of 500 BILLION dollars.............................to cover all, would cost anywhere from $2.5-4.5 trillion A YEAR..............

2. we spend 300 BILLION dollars on MEDICAID ...to cover (at 100%) about 30 million (most esitmates are between 25 million and 35 million).....transfer that number to 320 million people (our population) the cost would be about 3 TRILLION A YEAR...................

NOW lets look at what the taxpayer would expect:
divide those numbers (2.5 trillion to 4.5 trillion) by the 120 million taxpayers(according to the IRS)...that's an average tax bill of $20,000-38,000 EACH HOUSEHOLD, EACH YEAR, an always rising.......can you afford that,,, I certainly cant...and its a HECK OF A LOT MORE THAN PRIVATE INSURANCE. and a heck of a lot especially if you dont go to a docotor but once a year.....is that what they want a once a year doctor bill for $20,000plus

Quote:
Well if you have Tricare - you have very good insurance at an affordable price - a government run health care system, I might add. What are you whining about
you mean the government care that DENIED the surgey ??????????

tricare is worse than medicaid...it reemburses the doctors even lower than medicaid....

maybe instead of slapping you head , you should open your eyes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
If you were truly fiscally conservative - you would want to reduce spending ACROSS the Board, not just pick and choose your poison
we spend more on social services than we spend on the military...

I am all for cutting back...ON EVERYTHING

Old 03-19-2010, 01:09 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Um.. this bill not only comes under fiscal restraint, but also restricts fiscal spending on other healthcare like medicare..

UHC has never been implimented by a country already bankrupt...
What are you talking about.......... The UK implemented a UHC when it had just come out of WW2 and was near bankrupt.

Fine, then you volunteer to pay it because I for one avoid federal taxes like the plague.. Ohh hell, now that you are volunteering to pay more, please send me a check to cover my "health care tax".. When you do, I'll believe you believe what you say..
I am willing to pay tax so that Every American Citizen can get good healthcare....maybe i'm more patriotic than you ...... Amazing as i'm not American.
I already pay tax in the UK for Health care so i DO put my money where my mouth is.
They ALREADY contract out many of their health systems because PRIVATE industry does it better. They contract out medicaid in most, if not all states, along with every prison system in the nation.. They even contract out parts of the VA, and SS systems.. To believe they can run systems better when they already admit they cant is whats dumb!!
As the American health system is set up toiday i'm not suprised that private companies get in on healthcare in the prisons etc. With a UHC that would be a thing of the past and in fact the Private Insurance Companies will pay the Govy run Hospitals to use their medicam equipment as in the uk. This brings in extra revenue to the UHC. The VA and Medicare etc will no longer be needed.

I think you just did complain about their "wonderful" program based upon cost.. You are making progress

ooh please.. americans dont die or go bankrupt because of the current health system. This happens BECAUSE THEY GET SICK, which of course will still happen with UHC.. And I hope those who realise how selfish they are to take from others so they can get something FOR FREE will stop posting about how selfish everyone else is..
26,000 Americans die each year due to NO health cover because of the current health system in the USA.......... Fact,
The number one reason for personal bankruptcy in the USA is Health care......Fact.
The UHC is NOT about people trying to get something for nothing but people who are not as fortunate as some others getting good healthcare which is a basic human right in the 21st century. The ones being selfish are the ones with health cover who have the "i;m alright jack" attitude and couldn't give a damn for other American citizens.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
26,000 Americans die each year due to NO health cover because of the current health system in the USA.......... Fact,
The number one reason for personal bankruptcy in the USA is Health care......Fact.
The UHC is NOT about people trying to get something for nothing but people who are not as fortunate as some others getting good healthcare which is a basic human right in the 21st century. The ones being selfish are the ones with health cover who have the "i;m alright jack" attitude and couldn't give a damn for other American citizens.
Quote:
26,000 Americans die each year due to NO health cover because of the current health system in the USA.......... Fact
AND over a million die each yera WITH health care

Quote:
The number one reason for personal bankruptcy in the USA is Health care......Fact
wrong, the number one reason for bankruptsy is poor financial managment

Old 03-19-2010, 01:17 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
How did I know this was going to be crying about military spending, just by reading the thread title and its author? Because I know liberal progressives.

The one thing the federal government is tasked with spending taxpayer money on, the armed forces and national defense, is always the one place liberals want to cut spending on. If we did things the way you people want us to, we would not even have a military. But the libs would be all smiles if we had 0bama's "civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded" as the military.

BTW, $323 billion would create one hell of a lot of jobs, much more then the money spent for the stimulus bill. This kind of spending is exactly what FDR spent money on during WWII, which you people keep telling us was what got us out of the depression. So which is it?
we spend more on our military then the rest of the world combined, 5 times as much as china alone.

unlike WW11 we don't have women in factories making weapons, the only people getting rich are defense contractors. times have changed.

the thing about the Danes, Germans, Swedes and Swiss et al is that when 2/3rds of your GDP doens't go to the military you can do crazy **** like investing in transit, infastructure, health care, maternity leave, free university education etc.

Or you can pay slightly (yes, in many cases slightly) lower taxes and get nickled and dimed on everything, be in debt after college, lose your house b/c you got sick and have to claim banruptcy(#1 reason for it btw), work more hours, take less vacation and retire later, pay 200% more for your medications and wait 5 years for generic forms to be available that are currently available in Canada and europe.

but you pay lower taxes!

novel concept!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:21 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Did the Patriot Act bother you at all?
The only people who need to fear the Patriot Act are terrorists. There is nothing in my life that I would want to hide from this government. My life is an open book, but when the government starts telling me when I can have an operation and discussing whether I live or die, and requiring me to pay the health care of others but while I am paying for them, telling me that I am too old to have that same procedure; I find that scary.

This dumb health care bill is a communist plot and needs to be stopped and the qualifications of our president needs to be checked on and he probably needs to be impeached. We cannot know that for sure until congress starts doing its job. If anybody in my district wants to be elected, just tell me you will make that investigation of our president's qualifications, ask the right questions and make it happen, and you will get my vote. I want a president that thinks I have a right to know if he is a United States citizen and if he has ever given up that citizenship to become a citizen of another country, and if he has done that, I don't think he qualifies, but congress needs to investigate this and do what should have been done a long time ago.

When the president starts trying to get things passed in congress against a majority of the country, I think that makes him very suspect, especially when this bill will most probably destroy our country. Our president should not be our worst enemy.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:21 PM

4 posts, read 4,458 times
Wow I have read the article and have heard one colleague of mine in the Moderator cut: no ads I am working for and I somehow agree with her. And yeah that would cost a lot of money, I guess that governments nowadays are being oblivious on spending more money for military, and are focus more on national defense rather than education and health care. I mean, there should be a balance of everything. Government must not forget that they have other obligations to people other than protecting them from terrorists.
Thank you for the discussion!
Moderator cut: no ads

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-29-2010 at 01:14 AM..

Old 03-19-2010, 01:22 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Ha Ha Ha Ha..........
I worked for the Insurance industry and i know exactly how thy work and WHO they work for....... Themselves. If you are scared of the Govt running things then you should be absolutely petrified of the Insurance Industry running things.
I went to medical School in London. The UHC in the UK is funded by the Govt and run by Health profesionals. This is the HUGE misunderstanding about Govt. run healthcare.......... The Govt. DOES NOT dictate how you recieve your health care...the Doctors decide on the way you are treated and what medicine you have. The private insurance companies restrict far more health care than ANY Govt run health system ANYWHERE.
Many Americans have swallowed the fear tactics of the right and believe that a Govt run healthcare system in America will bankrupt America and be bad for Americans...... That is absolute rubbish...... No other UHC has failed or bankrupted its Country and a American health service would be the same, in fact the present health system in America is the no1 reason for personal bankruptcy today in America. It is with NO suprise that the Insurance Companies, the Doctors and the "Fat Cats" in America are predicting Doom for a UHC as they fear that they will lose the mega bucks they now earn and the privileged health care they recieve at the expence of Millions of hard working American tax payers.
Maybe the Govt will solve the American health problem..... The present system most certainly does NOT.
You went to medical school and yet you have this sort of grammer? I call BS on that.

If you are a doctor why not get licensed in the US and give the majority of your $300,000+ salary to those without insurance? I agree the present system does not solve the problems, and unfortunately excessive government regulation on the insurance industry prevents the competition necessary for a low cost insurance option to exist.

The purpose of government is not to provide a good, comfortable life for the citizens of America - our job is to work to give that to ourselves. The job of government is explicitly stated in the constitution, and social programs and excessive regulation are preventing honest, hardworking people from developing the companies necessary to pull ourselves out of this mess.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:29 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
This dumb health care bill is a communist plot and needs to be stopped and the qualifications of our president needs to be checked on and he probably needs to be impeached.

thanks for the laugh. How's that tin-foil hat fitting you? Picking up any interesting radio stations?

Old 03-19-2010, 01:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
What are you talking about.......... The UK implemented a UHC when it had just come out of WW2 and was near bankrupt.
We arent near bankrupt, we ARE bankrupt.. Which is why Democrats are pushing this so heavily.. MORE REVENUE!!
Quote:
I am willing to pay tax so that Every American Citizen can get good healthcare....maybe i'm more patriotic than you ...... Amazing as i'm not American.
I didnt see you volunteering to pay my tab for me.. is it because you are just petending to be willing to pay more?
Quote:
I already pay tax in the UK for Health care so i DO put my money where my mouth is.
right.. So now you are willing to pay taxes in the UK for Healthcare AND the US? Its a shame that you are now ignoring the fact that if you pay them in one country, they would be exempt in the other, because income and liabilities are writeoffs for whatever country you are a citizen.
Quote:
As the American health system is set up toiday i'm not suprised that private companies get in on healthcare in the prisons etc. With a UHC that would be a thing of the past and in fact the Private Insurance Companies will pay the Govy run Hospitals to use their medicam equipment as in the uk. This brings in extra revenue to the UHC. The VA and Medicare etc will no longer be needed.
You obviously have no clue how it works.. The government PAYS private companies to maintain the healthcare for prisons etc because THEY DO IT MORE EFFECIENTLY than the public sector.. Time and time again this has been proven true. Ever ask yourself why insurance companies are not running up and down to advertise people to call to object to the plan? Because it means MORE MONEY FOR THEM..

Your claims that the VA and Medicare wont be needed? You seem to know more than Obama then because they are not proposing doing away with either of those..
Quote:
26,000 Americans die each year due to NO health cover because of the current health system in the USA.......... Fact
Boo hoo hoo, 26,000 people die due to no health coverage, where did you pull this static from ?
Quote:
LIE.. The number 1 reason for people filing bk in america is THEY GOT SICK.. This would STILL happen with UHC because people have mortgages, car payments, credit cards..
Quote:
BS, those who are not as fortunate as others currently have healthcare, its called medicaid!! I dont have medical care, so you lose that argument as well. Its not YOUR responsibility to make sure I have it.. its MINE.

Should I provide you with my address yet so you'll send me a check to cover my care since you claim to be so generous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies