Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:56 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times

Advertisements

We are divided because we don't really want solutions. We don't want solutions because we don't want accountability. We don't want to accept responsibility for anything, we want it to be someone else's fault. Therefore, we find the "opposite" and blame them which then frees us up to continue without solving the problem.

The division, however, is also mostly manufactured. The news talk TV shows typically bring in two people from opposite sides of an issue and figure that the discussion will suffice for most Americans. "Well, I got to see both sides of that issue". But the two sides are forced, contrived, probably not even reality-based. All of the world is in shades of gray. Using only black and white accomplishes this manufactured division.

Until we tire of the blame game, our problems will continue to fester and the "solutions" will come from the entities which benefit most from our distraction and irresponsibility: the corporations that will write the laws, the government which will take our freedoms, and the rich who will sit back and laugh at everyone for being so stupid and unconscious.

Thank you OP for a great thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:52 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,870 times
YES, I ENJOY BEING DIVIDED.

Here's the deal. We are fortunate to live in a country with freedom of speech and expression. This allows for a free marketplace of ideas, that in the long run benefits us all. What some see as anger, shrillness, and intolerance, I just see as the signs of a robust marketplace. Americans tend to express themselves in very strong terms. That's good.

You want an example of a country where everyone is on the same page? North Korea.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:19 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
YES, I ENJOY BEING DIVIDED.

Here's the deal. We are fortunate to live in a country with freedom of speech and expression. This allows for a free marketplace of ideas, that in the long run benefits us all. What some see as anger, shrillness, and intolerance, I just see as the signs of a robust marketplace. Americans tend to express themselves in very strong terms. That's good.

You want an example of a country where everyone is on the same page? North Korea.
I don't think you are applying the concept of "divide" to the right context. I think the OP and I are in agreement that "divide" is a bad thing because it pits people against each other for unnecessary and counterproductive reasons. What good comes from such division? What you're describing is not so much division as it is uniqueness and individuality. We can have all the uniqueness and individuality we want and still be unified, we can still be the UNITED States. Why do you celebrate division which is the exact opposite of what our name aspires to?

North Korea is a bad example of the opposite of division. Everyone is forced to be on the same page through the use of "education", force, and torture. It is as much a description of "unity" as saying all white people are alike.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:24 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,265,502 times
It's hard not to be divided when essentially....we are. I mean, we all have different ideas, thoughts, views on issues which automatically separates us. I don't mind being divided because I don't fall in line w/others ideals. I am who I am, I can't change what I feel is right or wrong. However, I notice the division is EXTREME on this forum & not so much out in the real world. I have yet to come across someone out on the street, at a party or bar, etc. who would spout the ludicrous things that I see here on a daily basis.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:07 AM

146 posts, read 112,412 times
being divided is awesome
when you surround yourself with people like you- life is sweet
it's only when you have to deal with people who are not like you when life gets difficult
hopefully the country will get even more politically polarized, to the point where we all choose to leave each other alone

Old 03-19-2010, 11:13 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I don't think you are applying the concept of "divide" to the right context. I think the OP and I are in agreement that "divide" is a bad thing because it pits people against each other for unnecessary and counterproductive reasons. What good comes from such division? What you're describing is not so much division as it is uniqueness and individuality. We can have all the uniqueness and individuality we want and still be unified, we can still be the UNITED States. Why do you celebrate division which is the exact opposite of what our name aspires to?

North Korea is a bad example of the opposite of division. Everyone is forced to be on the same page through the use of "education", force, and torture. It is as much a description of "unity" as saying all white people are alike.
The concept of "divide" doesn't pit people against each other, people pit themselves against each other and sometimes it is necessary and/or productive, and sometimes its not. We may not know until we see results. What good comes from division? It depends, maybe you could ask the people whose ancestors were freed after the Civil War.

It seems that our disagreement is really just semantic here. You can define "divided" as a a bad thing I suppose. Then use some euphemism when you need a word that means "divided but good". And all that is fine by me. I think we can make our nation stronger by disagreeing with each other.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:39 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
No. The premise is silly.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:56 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
For sure. Feeling better about yourself by vilifying others is a time honored tradition among humans.

You know, if there were no political or religious or racial differences we would tear each other apart over what type of breakfast cereal we prefer.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:32 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
um...no we won't. There is a substantial portion of the American population that views Fox news as fairly ludicrous. You have your right to watch it and believe what they're promoting, but if you deride others for not believing it the problem of narrow mindedness and a closed mind falls back on you.

Case in point.

Wonder why? Read above.

Generalizations, extreme partisanship, emotional support, and flippant reasoning.

This isn't new though. There are numerous times throughout history were the masses were programmed to believe one way or another. Pitted against each other for one reason or another.

You think you are standing out Nomad? Nope, count yourself among the mob. Your arguments are an example of it.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:35 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Bush divided us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies