Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 12:41 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Right, because the government is actually listening to the vast majority of Americans who are AGAINST THIS BILL!
Exactly so!

You have no say whatsoever with the government, jmking. They're not listening now, and they won't listen to you when you have a 'complaint' later. Get your head out of the sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 12:56 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wow... we can all say the other is misinformed.

The right-wing New Deal conniption fit - How the World Works - Salon.com

An excerpt from the above link... interesting.

How can one make this claim? Unemployment reached 25 percent in the Great Depression, and fell steadily until World War II (although there were some bumps up along the way). Ah, but the revisionist position is that unemployment did not fall as much as it should have. And this argument is based on an interesting interpretation of the available data. As Amity Shlaes, currently the premier anti-New Deal historical revisionist writing for a popular audience, explained proudly in her own Wall Street Journal opinion piece in November, "The Krugman Recipe for Depression," a necessary step is to not count as employed those people in "temporary jobs in emergency programs."

Old 03-19-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Wow... we can all say the other is misinformed.
Hmmm...

I cite UCLA.

You cite a fluff piece magazine article.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:20 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
We can do this all day. Do you have any proof that the Dems. backed the continual useless spending in Iraq?

YouTube - THIS could have been done with the money spent on Iraq war!!

Looks as though not.
George Bush Has Stolen $2,300,000,000,000.00 From U.S. Tax Payers - LiveVideo.com

Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae didn't send our jobs overseas. Bush did. So low income families were destined to lose face. (video 2006)
Bing Video: Outsourcing jobs (http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/outsourcing-jobs/6or2n8b - broken link)
Here's who sent the jobs overseas....

"Clinton signs China trade bill"

"President Clinton closed years of political and economic debate Tuesday, and sealed a major achievement of his administration by signing a bill extending permanent, normal trade status to China."

Clinton signs China trade bill, - October 10, 2000

Old 03-19-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
there wasnt a surplus

the clinton/gingrich 'surplus' was from cutting infrastructure and stealing from social secturity

and a 'booming economy'???? you mean the recession bush inherited from the dot.com bubble

do you deny that we have lost 40-50 million jobs since nafta/cafta/ofta????

do you deny that the economy has gone to the dumps since 2000/1 when clinton got china trade bill signed and got them into the wto???

do you deny that the changes to mortgage rules in 1995 is what cause the housing bubble/crash????

do you deny that in 2003/4 when bush wanted to fix the fannie/freddie problem. that barney frank called it a witch hunt????
The China Trade Bill was meant for prosperity. Another Bush abuse.

Fannie/Freddie hid profits and bullied while Bush spent so much money on a ridiculous smoke screen war it's really hard to say who is worse.

The Volokh Conspiracy - Fannie Mae’s Thugs.--

S.S. was being robbed long before Clinton. I heard about that being in the crapper in high school. '84 - '88. The ABUSE of POWER. Things meant for GOOD were destroyed by the Bush administration. I was always able to find a job. Fresh out of high school up until two years ago. When I had to go temporary labor. So you deny Bush is an abusing, war mongering, FOOL?

So from here it would seem HCR will pass and things once again will eventually be brought back from the brink. I'm through arguing with you. Good day.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Hmmm...

I cite UCLA.

You cite a fluff piece magazine article.
Doesn't make it any less true. Colleges are just as opinionated as any other researcher. You or I are not politicians but that doesn't stop our opinions. Anyone can print something to fit an idea of went wrong. Happens all the time right here. This of course is just my opinion.

Elliot A. Rosen is Professor Emeritus of History at Rutgers University and the author of Hoover, Roosevelt, and the Brains Trust: From Depression to New Deal.

Roosevelt, the Great Depression, and the Economics of Recovery (http://www.upress.virginia.edu/books/rosen2.html - broken link)

Old 03-19-2010, 02:53 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So you're saying you don't think that there are people in this nation that lived beyond their means while not paying for things they should have been paying for, such as healthcare? Is that your argument?

A housing bubble comes to mind. I don't know about you and your priorities, but before I go and buy a house that I can't afford, I make sure that all my bases are covered. It's pretty evident that that was NOT the top priority of thousands of families in this nation. And now they want free or subsidized healthcare. Shameful.
I am on unemployment. I only make $265 a week. I have asthma and have been able to afford healthcare. I have been out of work for 9 months now. I am NOT on Medicaid. I was able to successfully purchase temporary insurance through Blue Cross for less than $100 a month despite my pre-existing condition. I have even been able to get the proper care that I have needed to control my asthma. When I had a hard time paying one of my medical bills, all I had to do was talk to the doctor and the billing department. They were HAPPY to work with me. My doctor has always been willing to give me FREE samples of my inhalers. If I had something minor go wrong, I would go to the Take Care Clinics or Minute Clinics inside a Walgreens or CVS service. I had terrific service and only had to pay $65 for a visit.

I CHOSE to take responsibility for my health care. Many people are choosing not to take the responsibilty for their own health care. Many are hoping that the government can just do all the work for them and everything will be okay. The health care that we all need is HERE right now, but many just simply want it for free or don't want to search to find it.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:56 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
A few comments on this issue. First to the OP who supports the reform:
1) One of the reform's main goals was to lower the cost of healthcare and make it accessible. I don't see how it lowers costs. Even the public option isn't going to be cheap. So, what's the deal?
2) For real cost reduction, Obama should have capped cost of drugs, the price of malpractice insurance, forbid premiums raise (like in the recent Blue Cross case in CA), offer alternative healthcare by the government (free or at very low cost). Nothing of that is proposed in the bill.
3) Why involve abortion in this bill at all? It makes it a target for criticism from parties who don't necessary oppose the reform. Keep that for another debate.
4) You are wrong. Not only wealthy people oppose the reform. I spoke with many low income conservatives who oppose the bill and believe me, these folks aren't making more then you do. They oppose it for ideological reasons.
5) You say that now, wealthy folks will have to pay for others care. In this country you cannot force people to pay for others if they refuse. People here care only for themselves and they will find ways to avoid paying.
To those who oppose the bill:
1) The bill is in debate for more then a year. EVERY proposal made by the administration was INSTANTLY rejected by republicans. So how can you complain about close doors? Everyone knows that there will soon be a vote on the bill. Republicans will vote anyway against every item on the bill. So what's there to discuss?

Old 03-19-2010, 05:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Ever heard of a "rhetorical question?"
Nice try, but fail. You quoted shroombeanie, and asked specific questions of him, was he living beyond his means.

Quote:
First off, I don't hunt or even care for golf. This wasn't my point. I thought about starting my own business early on. As I progressed, it became apparently clear I would never have the resources to start such an expensive venture. So the $17-$20 an hour I should have been making would have been good. Screen printing/vehicle lettering has VERY EXPENSIVE materials. Inks, machines, etc., the list is too long. Plus renting or buying a facility that includes all the regulars. (overhead, electric, etc.)

Anyway... this isn't about me having all those toys. Doesn't mean all that much to me. Or my wife. We're a bit simpler than that. All I asked for was (along with everyone) fair pay and some decent health care. We are after all, all in need of affordable health services. Even if we all pitch-in for one another. This country has lost RESPECT for it's people. It's sad.
In retrospect... my employers were living beyond their means.With ALL those "nice" things. At the expense of their workers. Yes we all complained. Not just me. Maybe, when/if all this is over, I'll attempt a business start. My employees would have decent pay and hopefully health care.
Don't try to defend yourself against these monsters.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Doesn't make it any less true. Colleges are just as opinionated as any other researcher.
Do you really think Salon Magazine article authors are academic researchers?

That explains why you're so misguided.

Perhaps you should read Jim Powell's FDR's Folly: How Roosevelt and His New Deal Prolonged the Great Depression

What Nobel Laureates and a Harvard professor have to say about Powell's well-researched treatise:

Quote:
“Admirers of FDR credit his New Deal with restoring the American economy after the disastrous contraction of 1929—33. Truth to tell–as Powell demonstrates without a shadow of a doubt–the New Deal hampered recovery from the contraction, prolonged and added to unemployment, and set the stage for ever more intrusive and costly government. Powell’s analysis is thoroughly documented, relying on an impressive variety of popular and academic literature both contemporary and historical.”
Milton Friedman, Nobel Laureate

“The material laid out in this book desperately needs to be available to a much wider audience than the ranks of professional economists and economic historians, if policy confusion similar to the New Deal is to be avoided in the future.”
James M. Buchanan, Nobel Laureate

“Jim Powell is one tough-minded historian, willing to let the chips fall where they may. That’s a rare quality these days, hence more valuable than ever. He lets the history do the talking.”
–David Landes, Professor of History Emeritus, Harvard University
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies