Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:44 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,273,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Sorry. Health care rationing is not that forgiving. Can you imagine a 70 year old patient receiving a kidney transplant under a government run health care plan? The only way to save money is to deny expensive services like dialysis and transplant to people deemed to be too old or too ill to be worthy of the services.
Bullshyt!

Kidneys will be a dime a dozen when everyone has to sell theirs to make their insurance payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 06:46 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,246,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
he works at the clinic 4 days a week and the old folks home 1 day a week.
That's pretty cool.
My hat is off to him.
We need MORE doctors like him - and LESS doctors who's primary concern is the almighty dollar.
I understand that doctors have right to support their families well too - but I'm of the opinion that if making money is your PRIMARY reason for going into medicine then perhaps you should have become an investment banker instead - and far too often I think that doctor's PRIMARY reason for going into medicine is to MAKE BIG MONEY.

Ken

Old 03-19-2010, 06:47 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,334,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Yeah, My wife works in the field. It is hard to find a Doctor that is happy with this.
I work in that field. None of the five docs I work with has had a lot to say about this plan. None are planning to leave medicine over it. One said they'll have to learn a different set of rules. There are rules in insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
What shock and awe? Their position has been clear for some time..

AMA does 180 on health care - chicagotribune.com

The AMA represents approx 25% of all physicians. Of that, over 1/3 are students/residents...

Their endorsement is neither surprising nor relevant.
I think it is relevant. The AMA still has a lot of influence, even if most docs don't belong to it.

Quote:
I love how the left thinks they are clever by assuming doctors who leave the practice of medicine will be reduced to walmart greeters or fast food workers. It just shows that the left lacks common sense but then most of us already knew that.
Just what do you think they will do? There are not that many academic jobs out there teaching medicine. Most aren't qualified to teach the sciences in college b/c they don't have PhDs in a science field. Teaching science in high school requires a license, the pay is significantly less, and there are already more people looking for teaching jobs than there are jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
He will take a job in the super-compensated insurance, legal or financial industries. There are many opportunities for doctors. Once they realize how much easier it is to take a cushy job, and not run an office working massive overtime, they will defect en masse. Consumers will pay the price.
Don't they all know that now? What keeps them in medicine? There is not an abundance of jobs in insurance, they do not have law degrees, could only be consultants, and many don't know jack about finance.

Quote:
Doctors do not want to be told how to treat patients. That is the bottom line. This legislation will have a treatment template for doctors to follow.
This is about as nuts as saying that 70 year olds won't get transplants. They are being told how to take care of pts now. There are treatment templates now (usually called algorithms).

Quote:
Have you ever heard of doctors getting teaching appointments or working for insurance companies? They will probably make more as an employee there than they will trying to maintain a private practice under this health care reform bill. Just a thought, they will lay off all employees when they close their private practices.
HOw many teaching appointments do you think there are out there? Most of those docs have advanced educations, beyond the MD. Yes, there are a few jobs in insurance, certainly not enough to absorb the supposedly 1/3 of doctors that will quit if this is passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
And insurance companies don't do that NOW?

Ken
Agreed.

Quote:
9 out of 10 times we have been able to get the insurance companies to approve previously denied services. For the one percent that didn't we gave the patient a letter they could send to the state insurance commissioner.
Isn't that 10%, not 1%?

Old 03-19-2010, 06:50 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,303,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
A couple of interesting observations regarding that "poll". The second quote below (point #4 in the article) in particular seems precisely right. Reporting results before they are all tabulated is NOT proper polling - and reeks of someone attempting to manipulate opinion rather than actually report it.

"As we learned during the Presidntial campaign -- when, among other things, they had John McCain winning the youth vote 74-22 -- the IBD/TIPP polling operation has literally no idea what they're doing. I mean, literally none. For example, I don't trust IBD/TIPP to have competently selected anything resembling a random panel, which is harder to do than you'd think."

"They say, somewhat ambiguously: "Responses are still coming in." This is also highly unorthodox. Professional pollsters generally do not report results before the survey period is compete."

FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: IBD/TIPP Doctors Poll Is Not Trustworthy

Ken
Oh right, some blog entry opinion piece is much more believable than a poll of over 1000 practicing physicians.

At least this opinion article cites references. ObamaCare Would Drive Doctors Out of Business

And here's yet another example of what we can expect post Obamacare: Doctor shortage looms as primary care loses its pull - USATODAY.com (http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-08-17-doctor-gp-shortage_N.htm - broken link)

And yet another dire statistic...
Quote:
The number of U.S. medical school students going into primary care has dropped 51.8% since 1997, according to the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)

Old 03-19-2010, 06:50 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,266,976 times
Haven't you heard, the AMA is in bed with the reptilians and will be spreading chemtrails posthaste!

Old 03-19-2010, 06:53 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,384,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Bullshyt!

Kidneys will be a dime a dozen when everyone has to sell theirs to make their insurance payment.
It is obvious that you know nothing about criteria to be an organ donor.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:55 PM

No, it is one percent Katiana. I would love to speak with the primary care doctors for whom you work.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:01 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,246,935 times
Quote:
No, it is one percent Katiana. I would love to speak with the primary care doctors for whom you work.
And I'd like to speak with your MATH TEACHER - because you are clearly very very bad at math.
Here is what you said:

"9 out of 10 times we have been able to get the insurance companies to approve previously denied services. For the one percent that didn't we gave the patient a letter they could send to the state insurance commissioner."

Let me spell it out for you step by step.
1) If "9 out of 10 times we have been able to get the insurance companies to approve previously denied services" that means that 1 of of 10 times you were not able to do so.
2) 1 out of 10 times is 10% - not 1%. 1% would be 1 out of 100 times.

Ken

Old 03-19-2010, 07:02 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,334,823 times
Quote:
9 out of 10 (from your post) is 90%. That leaves 10%. 1 out of 10 is 10%, not 1%.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
9 out of 10 (from your post) is 90%. That leaves 10%. 1 out of 10 is 10%, not 1%.
So can we set up a conference call with your primary care docs and my docs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies