Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 01:43 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Health care reform passed 219-212

Historic Health Care Bill Passes House Of Representatives - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/national/obama.health.care.2.1578970.html - broken link)

Great, just what we need.....to throw more money at a super bloated and inefficient system. Not to mention we just hit the accelerator even harder as far as our national debt is concerned.

I'm sure this health care bill will also be used as a platform for the government to gain even more control over our lives.

That said, Republicans p*ss me off as well. They had plenty of opportunites to push for reforms that would make the system more cost effective, but did nothing. So now we're headed for financial oblivion, partly as a result of their inaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 01:54 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Regardless of your politics and ideology, they have opened Pandora's box.
I have spent the past 40 years as a health-care provider treating disadvantaged psychiatric, geriatric, and developmentally disabled patients.
From every experience I've had with government run programs, the quality of care will diminish, and your cost will increase.

Since it is a waste of time arguing with people with an entrenched political philosophy, just resurrect this thread annually for the next ten years. At that time if the facts do not bear out my prediction, I will apologize. In the interim, this move toward socialized medicine will hasten my retirement, unfortunately leaving many disenfranchised patients to rely on government beaurocrats to protect them.
I've depended on government sponsered health care for a long time as I have several pre-existing conditions and in part can agree. Doctors do not have full options. But when I did have "normal" insurence, I had plenty of crappy doctors too. Actially some of the best have been through state mecicade since they are there for the medicine and not the money.

It is very good that something got passed. What we had wasn't working. Perhaps its something we have to see and vital that our people can be healthy. Only recently beginning to get past an illness that started in November, I feel l am climbing out of a cave. When people cannot get care and do not feel good, life is not good and it isn't good for anyone. And while you can go to a hospital, not all of us would feel its fair to have an er eat your bill.

What needs to be watched very very very carefully is ALL fraud, not only medicade and medicare. One hospital where I lived in California nearly folded after the degree of fraud they were involved in, with both medicare and medi-cal. I say ALMOST since it was decided there was not enough other recourses around so it was reorganized. Still lousey, still nearly killed me twice because they just don't care.

If doctors really care what they are doing they will give the best care they can to ALL patients. I expect to hear that furture government setups have made care worse, but have to wonder if some of it is health care providers who are it to make big big bucks are not making the decision which compromise.

Cost more? Probably. But everything does. Reforms and adjustments can be made to a system but not when the yelling is so loud.

Let patients find the cheapest place to get their covered medication then pay it. Send EVERY patient a copy of the bill for a hospital visit with ALL information, including procedures and cost. The hospital I spoke of was caught because a patient (who had not actually been in the hospital) was accidently sent a copy of the charged bill and THEY reported it. Just this would curtail a lot of cost without hurting anyone's care.

I haven't read this particuar forum much for a long while since it was becomeing a sea of them and us spouting, and massive name calling. I'm sure it will continue. But the truth is that name calling and automatically blaming "them" will make sure all those bad things we fear come to pass.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:54 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Not working and expecting things to just.. be given.. shouldn't be praised by the way.
If you work hard for what you have in your life, and I don't--why should we have the same amount of things? You only deserve what you work for/earn.
Why is it so hard to understand that life is not just black or white, all or nothing?! My last job had me working from 9 AM to 2 AM with a 20 min. break, I often worked 70+ hrs a week, all on my feet. My employer however did not provide health coverage to any employees so most did not have health insurance, I didn't. So, because I didn't have coverage does that mean I should be left to die if I were involved in an accident? Just because someone does not have health insurance it automatically must mean that they are lazy and thus undeserving of a healthy life? I don't think so.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:56 AM

205 posts, read 589,128 times
Quote:
Not working and expecting things to just.. be given.. shouldn't be praised by the way.
If you work hard for what you have in your life, and I don't--why should we have the same amount of things? You only deserve what you work for/earn.

Insurance companies do not have the right to gauge our paychecks and charge more because of a pre existing condition.
I pay 400 dollars a month for insurance and I am a healthy, active person, but because of a medical condition in 1992 I am charged at a higher rate...and this is through my employer.

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
That's why the insurance companies were so quiet during all of this, when the big complaint was that they were denying people coverage or not affordable. They were conspiring with the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
rip to the best healthcare system in the world
I do NOT support this bill. However, the evidence is overwhelming that America's health care system is FAR from the best in the world.

It excels in certain areas. But overall, it's mediocre in quality and exhorbitant in costs. The bill that just passed won't fix the quality and cost issues, which is why I don't like it.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:00 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Why is it so hard to understand that life is not just black or white, all or nothing?! My last job had me working from 9 AM to 2 AM with a 20 min. break, I often worked 70+ hrs a week, all on my feet. My employer however did not provide health coverage to any employees so most did not have health insurance, I didn't. So, because I didn't have coverage does that mean I should be left to die if I were involved in an accident? Just because someone does not have health insurance it automatically must mean that they are lazy and thus undeserving of a healthy life? I don't think so.
If you work 70+ hours a week then why haven't you purchased health insurance? If you have other things such as laptops, ipods, video games, brand new car(s), etc and you DON'T have insurance.. that would be your fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvetta View Post
Insurance companies do not have the right to gauge our paychecks and charge more because of a pre existing condition.
I pay 400 dollars a month for insurance and I am a healthy, active person, but because of a medical condition in 1992 I am charged at a higher rate...and this is through my employer.
Yes, that part sucks. I totally agree that the pricing structure does indeed blow. HOWEVER, if you are in a lot of car accidents... you are probably an awful driver...and thus... your car insurance costs more. It's not like that's an entirely new concept.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The health insurance industry brought this on themselves -- and on our grandchildren, who will end up footing the bill.

The only people who can kill free enterprise capitalism are those who abuse it out of their unbridled greed and hubris. That has now come to pass.

Don't blame the Liberal Dems for taking political advantage of the stupifying profits realized by the insurers (earned, one should remember, through the sufering of the less-fortunate).

The fat cats have had it their way for too long. Now they've made it possible for the government to determine whom among us may live and die.

While it is true that many on the Left are thrilled by this prospect, the rest of us have siply come to realize that there is no otherway to proceed, aside from simply handing over the nation's entire annual GNP to those kindly folks at Big Pharma and their pals in the insurance cartel...
I disagree with your last statment. There are other ways to proceed. It really needs to start with questioning the entire "drugs and surgery" paradigm that is perpetuated by the health care industry.

The best health care reform is food reform.

A quick, but excellent read on the subject is:

Food Rules by Michael Pollan

Amazon.com: Food Rules: An Eater's Manual (9780143116387): Michael Pollan: Books

For those who don't want to bother with reading an entire book, however short, (after all, who does that any more?), the following article mentions:

93% of Type 2 diabetes is completely preventable
81% of heart disease is completely preventable
36% of cancer is completely preventable

Through just 4 things:

1. Not smoking
2. Exercising regularly
3. Eating a healthy diet (See book Food Rules for more on this)
4. Maintaining a healthy weight (If you do #2 & #3, this last one should come naturally).

Key to Affordable Health Care: Healthier Lifestyles | LiveScience

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 03-22-2010 at 02:17 AM..

Old 03-22-2010, 02:10 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times
hopefully they give me a good jail cell for not choosing a health care provider.....lol...oh but wait...it's so great that it is now mandatory for me to do what our government says even if i haven't physically broken any laws.....next thing you know they'll tell us how much energy we can use in our apartments in the name of "going green"...wow are people really this naive to believe this bill is good for us....i mean I'm poor and don't have health insurance but i haven't needed health insurance so why am i forced into spending money on it when i need to buy food to survive....Insurance companies are gonna make a killing off of this.....government will tell us what doctor to see and what treatments we are allowed to have now if we end up having to use the hospital...just like a nice mom and dad would tell u what to do....woooo hooo can't wait for what's next!!!!!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:11 AM

205 posts, read 589,128 times
Quote:
If you work 70+ hours a week then why haven't you purchased health insurance? If you have other things such as laptops, ipods, video games, brand new car(s), etc and you DON'T have insurance.. that would be your fault.

Yes, that part sucks. I totally agree that the pricing structure does indeed blow. HOWEVER, if you are in a lot of car accidents... you are probably an awful driver...and thus... your car insurance costs more. It's not like that's an entirely new concept.

You serious? Health issues are not under one's control. Whether or not you continue to drive a car after having accidents IS.

Now I see why people are against the President's Healthplan... they don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies