Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 06:28 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Interesting. And why is it that luxury plans are excluded from tax until 2018?
That's 8 years! What a sweet back room deal (thanks to the democrats).
Someone said there will be no benefits, only taxes for six years, and I proved the claim wrong.

Why is there no taxes for such plans? I don't care. Either there is, or there isn't.

Quote:
Ahh...how you like to point fingers. The big liers here were the Democrats and I don't know how anyone can make the mistake of no seeing that.
Point fingers? I heard a ton of lies and insults coming from tea party and Republicans party and they were exposed. Yes, EXPOSED, and they still lost the fight, so they're looking very bad at this point. I think the tea party is done, and will disappear. They still dangle some lies, and the loyalists repeat them, but how can you believe anything they say anymore? Did the Dems lie too? I don't know, maybe or maybe not, but as of now only the tea party and Republicans lies have been exposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 06:28 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I disagree with your last statment. There are other ways to proceed. It really needs to start with questioning the entire "drugs and surgery" paradigm that is perpetuated by the health care industry.

The best health care reform is food reform.

A quick, but excellent read on the subject is:

Food Rules by Michael Pollan

Amazon.com: Food Rules: An Eater's Manual (9780143116387): Michael Pollan: Books

For those who don't want to bother with reading an entire book, however short, (after all, who does that any more?), the following article mentions:

93% of Type 2 diabetes is completely preventable
81% of heart disease is completely preventable
36% of cancer is completely preventable

Through just 4 things:

1. Not smoking
2. Exercising regularly
3. Eating a healthy diet (See book Food Rules for more on this)
4. Maintaining a healthy weight (If you do #2 & #3, this last one should come naturally).

Key to Affordable Health Care: Healthier Lifestyles | LiveScience
Most people are eating complete crap. Eat real, preferably organic food and you'll look and feel better because you will be healthier.

YouTube - Food Inc - Official Trailer [HD]

http://www.foodincmovie.com/

Old 03-22-2010, 06:30 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,841,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
What the hell. Stupac must have got a great BJ.
He got
STUPAK ANNOUNCES $726,409 FOR AIRPORTS IN

ALPENA, DELTA AND CHIPPEWA COUNTIES

Representative Bart Stupak's (MI01)- Stupak Announces $726,409 for Airports in Alpena, Delta and Chippewa Counties (http://www.house.gov/apps/list/speech/mi01_stupak/morenews/20100319faagrant.html - broken link)

Old 03-22-2010, 06:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
There are several provisions in this bill that open up access to tons of people who did not previously have access to health care. Upping the age of college students on parents plans, providing tax credits to lower income families, to name a few.
NY - Empire BCBS raised the age to 29 in July 2009 and it is considered extended dependent coverage. Once the dependent marries, they forfeit the benefit. I believe HCR has the age maxed at 26?

http://www.relben.com/nysmandate.pdf

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 03-22-2010 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-22-2010, 06:40 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Tea Party and the Republicans made a fool out of themselves over this thing. They lied, and their lies were exposed, and then they lost the fight in the end.
How do you figure?

The democrats passed this on a strictly party-line vote - unprecedented with such legislation.

They have done this against the will of the people, as ALL polls show.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:48 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Will Governor Palin and Newt Gingrich today denounce the Death Panels they saw coming that must now be law?

Old 03-22-2010, 06:52 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No...its being funded by modest tax increases. Also, estimates are just that...estimates. One can always argue that the estimate is overly rosy....
The estimates used by government are always rosy. If they're on the negative side, they get "re-submitted for further analysis".

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Will Governor Palin and Newt Gingrich today denounce the Death Panels they saw coming that must now be law?
They are coming. They won't be called that, but they'll be there and functioning. Unless the entire bill is repealed.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:53 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
How do you figure?

The democrats passed this on a strictly party-line vote - unprecedented with such legislation.

They have done this against the will of the people, as ALL polls show.
The Dems did indeed do this without any help from the Repubs. As to the polls, definitely not true.

Kaiser Health Tracking Poll -- March 2010 - Kaiser Family Foundation

Old 03-22-2010, 06:54 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Do you have access to News12 this morning?

At 7 AM they reported on the Healthcare reform bill passing, and gave a brief overview of what can be expected:
  • Expand insurance cover 32 million people who are currently uninsured.
  • lower prescription costs for seniors
  • no one with pre-exisiting conditions can be denied
  • anyone visiting the US will have access to health care
At 8 AM the last bullet was omitted.

I believe that people should have access to affordable health insurance, but feel this bill was not the right approach.

The fact that a news outlet couldn't get their facts straight about the bill makes me question both the credibility of said news outlet (anyone living in the NYC tri-state area is familiar with it) and how much bureaucratic double-speak (aka loopholes) are within the bill.
LOL, you should know as well as I do that News 12 is not exactly a shining example of fine reporting.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:54 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
guess I can always hope that some states will secede. after all if the politicians do careabout the constitution, then why should they care if 1-25 states secede.

More like 38 states and counting now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies