Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
I think residents living in the US have a major perception issue with costs.

They still complain about housing costs (even after a big 10-30% in prices in most urban areas). They complain about college costs. They complain about fuel costs. Obviously they complain about healthcare premium costs.

But Americans need to deal with the fact that most of them just don't want to pay for essential things and often times spend their income unwisely. Some things like a college education often is worth the investment.

Why do people complain about the affordability of college? Hello? You can take out college loans. As Dave Ramsey said one time, only thing government should "grant" (obviously a reference to many students wanting free Pell Grant money); well Dave Ramsey says the only thing that should be granted is the grant to work at least part time during college. Take out a freaking loan folks. Work 10-20 hours a week. My wife's cousin just graduated from a in state public college (so that's 2009), she owes $32K over 4 years. Think about that $32K, includes room/board/tuition everything. Isn't that worth an investment? She's in MBA school now. Obviously professional school costs a lot of money. When she's done 14 months, she'll owe about $100K. But her earnings will make up for the debt load. Even if you go into a lower paying job like teaching, there are programs for loan forgiveness (you may have to teach in a ghetto school system but at least it's a loan forgiveness). But 4 years of college education, almost completely funded by loans can be paid off within 10 years.

Think about the average cost of new cars purchased by US residents. What's that? About $28K these days. So Americans are paying almost as much for a new car as it costs to fund a 4 year (in state public) college education.

The big issue with Americans is that they feel the need for entitlements. Nothing should be given away. People should earn their way up the ladder. Go to school, take out a loan, work part time as needed. I just think many Americans just do not want to pay for things and blame affordability.

Parents of high school kids planning to go onto college should think about that $28K car they just purchased vs. the $32K a college student just financed for her entire 4 years education. College seems pretty affordable to me, especially since college grads are known to earn much higher incomes than high school grads.
Dude. That's 21.92 cents a day to go to college or $8000 dollars a year.
$666 dollars a month.

Well, I know one thing now. When it's time for my son to go to A 4 year college, I'm gonna make sure he gets a job that pays $22 dollars a day. Heck, you can make that with a part time job. Any one can afford 4 years at college. You can work at Subway or 7-11 and go to a 4 year university.

Thank you for helping me to understand this. Who knew going to college was so cheap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 12:11 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,260 times
While I don't think everyone needs to go to college, those that choose to use the excuse they can't afford college, are doing that. Just making excuses.

There's this fear. Most students/parents know that student loans cannot be discharged even in bankruptcy. But that's a good thing. It teaches people to be responsible. To value their education and not mess around.

Yes, it's true. College costs have gone up very quickly. 4 year in state college costs run $40-60K for those four years. We are talking about 4-6K for tuition. 4-6K for housing/food, 1-2K for books. I have found that college over estimates some costs. Not everyone can get their own room. You can split a room. You can get roommates. God forbid, you can stay at home and commute to college to cut on costs. You can go to community college for the first two years and than transfer into a traditional in state university.

How about taking a few AP courses during high school and than taking and passing AP exams. Passing 3-4 AP exams essentially assures 15 credit hours. That's one semester you can save.

People want too many things free in life. Sometimes its a jealousy thing. Students see there friends with mommy/daddy already prepaying for all their friend's room/board tuition.

Everyone is handed a different card in life. You make the most of of what you can control You can work part time during the school year. You can work 40 hours a week during the summer months. It's all about motivation. So many young people lack that. Please don't blame finances about not being able to attend an in state college.

You can still make $4-8K a year working part time (even at minimum wages) to subsidize your own costs. Get a loan for the rest. Of course, this involves sacrifices. You can't be blowing $1000 this week on Spring Break going with your friends. You can actually work that week. I say this from experience also. I worked through my 4 years of college to make ends meet. Had to open up at the grocery store on Sundays at 6am during the school year so my Saturday nights ended early. But I worked Sundays because I knew it paid me time and a half. No mommy/daddy to help.

But please don't blame the system for affordability. You only need to be motivated.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
While I don't think everyone needs to go to college, those that choose to use the excuse they can't afford college, are doing that. Just making excuses.

There's this fear. Most students/parents know that student loans cannot be discharged even in bankruptcy. But that's a good thing. It teaches people to be responsible. To value their education and not mess around.

Yes, it's true. College costs have gone up very quickly. 4 year in state college costs run $40-60K for those four years. We are talking about 4-6K for tuition. 4-6K for housing/food, 1-2K for books. I have found that college over estimates some costs. Not everyone can get their own room. You can split a room. You can get roommates. God forbid, you can stay at home and commute to college to cut on costs. You can go to community college for the first two years and than transfer into a traditional in state university.

How about taking a few AP courses during high school and than taking and passing AP exams. Passing 3-4 AP exams essentially assures 15 credit hours. That's one semester you can save.

People want too many things free in life. Sometimes its a jealousy thing. Students see there friends with mommy/daddy already prepaying for all their friend's room/board tuition.

Everyone is handed a different card in life. You make the most of of what you can control You can work part time during the school year. You can work 40 hours a week during the summer months. It's all about motivation. So many young people lack that. Please don't blame finances about not being able to attend an in state college.

You can still make $4-8K a year working part time (even at minimum wages) to subsidize your own costs. Get a loan for the rest. Of course, this involves sacrifices. You can't be blowing $1000 this week on Spring Break going with your friends. You can actually work that week. I say this from experience also. I worked through my 4 years of college to make ends meet. Had to open up at the grocery store on Sundays at 6am during the school year so my Saturday nights ended early. But I worked Sundays because I knew it paid me time and a half. No mommy/daddy to help.

But please don't blame the system for affordability. You only need to be motivated.
I agree with some of what you say, but not all. Most colleges require freshmen who are not living at home to live in the dorms, and that is generally with roommates. You can go to CC for a year or two, but you may well lose credits, or have to take lower division courses that weren't offered at your CC when you transfer. The CC option is available to most, but not everybody.

My real beef is with the AP courses. It is up to the college to decide which AP courses to accept, what score is needed for credit, how much credit to give, and what the credit counts for. Often, AP courses can't be used for a major, to replace required courses, or for distribution credits and the like. You will likely not save a semester, either. You may be able to take a lighter load some semesters, b/c the credits will be scattered in many subject areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies