Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 08:00 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,668 times

Advertisements

I think residents living in the US have a major perception issue with costs.

They still complain about housing costs (even after a big 10-30% in prices in most urban areas). They complain about college costs. They complain about fuel costs. Obviously they complain about healthcare premium costs.

But Americans need to deal with the fact that most of them just don't want to pay for essential things and often times spend their income unwisely. Some things like a college education often is worth the investment.

Why do people complain about the affordability of college? Hello? You can take out college loans. As Dave Ramsey said one time, only thing government should "grant" (obviously a reference to many students wanting free Pell Grant money); well Dave Ramsey says the only thing that should be granted is the grant to work at least part time during college. Take out a freaking loan folks. Work 10-20 hours a week. My wife's cousin just graduated from a in state public college (so that's 2009), she owes $32K over 4 years. Think about that $32K, includes room/board/tuition everything. Isn't that worth an investment? She's in MBA school now. Obviously professional school costs a lot of money. When she's done 14 months, she'll owe about $100K. But her earnings will make up for the debt load. Even if you go into a lower paying job like teaching, there are programs for loan forgiveness (you may have to teach in a ghetto school system but at least it's a loan forgiveness). But 4 years of college education, almost completely funded by loans can be paid off within 10 years.

Think about the average cost of new cars purchased by US residents. What's that? About $28K these days. So Americans are paying almost as much for a new car as it costs to fund a 4 year (in state public) college education.

The big issue with Americans is that they feel the need for entitlements. Nothing should be given away. People should earn their way up the ladder. Go to school, take out a loan, work part time as needed. I just think many Americans just do not want to pay for things and blame affordability.

Parents of high school kids planning to go onto college should think about that $28K car they just purchased vs. the $32K a college student just financed for her entire 4 years education. College seems pretty affordable to me, especially since college grads are known to earn much higher incomes than high school grads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 09:49 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Gimme a break! What's with all the logic nonsense? Don't you know the only way to solve your financial difficulties is to whip out the plastic and buy more junk?

Haven't you heard of New Math? You're using an outdated and archaic form of math where 1+1=2. Modern economic theorists have proven that system to be an untruth and very inconvenient.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:56 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Gimme a break! What's with all the logic nonsense? Don't you know the only way to solve your financial difficulties is to whip out the plastic and buy more junk?

Haven't you heard of New Math? You're using an outdated and archaic form of math where 1+1=2. Modern economic theorists have proven that system to be an untruth and very inconvenient.
Hey, I hear ya!

I went to college and came out a Mod-12 Clockster, where 11 plus 3 = 2, and 3 minus 7 = 8.

You can just IMAGINE what kind of car I drive.

Last edited by ergohead; 03-20-2010 at 11:06 AM..

Old 03-20-2010, 10:01 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times

YouTube - Dire Straits/Money For Nothing

It's the new america. Everything is free, and you don't have to do jack to get it. Heck, you can even break laws to illegally come into this country, and still demand phr33 st00f.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Hey, I hear ya!

I went to college and came out Mod-12 Clockster, where 11 plus 3 = 2, and 3 minus 7 = 8.

You can just IMAGINE what kind of car I drive.
I don't know but I'll bet it turns a tight corner.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:10 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I don't know but I'll bet it turns a tight corner.
Yes, but with no diminution of skill.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:16 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,064 times
Quote:
But Americans need to deal with the fact that most of them just don't want to pay for essential things and often times spend their income unwisely. Some things like a college education often is worth the investment.
My brother was saying this same thing to me yesterday. Someone might have a top of the line flat screen TV with tons of premium channels, two SUVS, various toys and expensive electronics...... but complain about paying for Health Care. In other words, they will not blink at paying more for things they use/ enjoy, but find it unacceptable to pay more if they choose to have premium health care. Very interesting.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:20 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,064 times
Quote:
Think about the average cost of new cars purchased by US residents. What's that? About $28K these days. So Americans are paying almost as much for a new car as it costs to fund a 4 year (in state public) college education.
Love your post.... but I am not sure where you get a 4 yr college education for 28K. More like 280K !!! The cost of college is a PROBLEM... not saying Gov't can or should fix it, but the cost have college has risen exponentially higher than inflation, wages, etc. And.... lets be honest, a lot of kids are basically learning how to get wasted for 4 years for 50K a year.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
Love your post.... but I am not sure where you get a 4 yr college education for 28K. More like 280K !!! The cost of college is a PROBLEM... not saying Gov't can or should fix it, but the cost have college has risen exponentially higher than inflation, wages, etc. And.... lets be honest, a lot of kids are basically learning how to get wasted for 4 years for 50K a year.
$28K would just about cover the cost of tuition at some, not all, state universities. Unless you live in the same town as the "U", there's about $1000/mo R&B to add to that, plus the costs of books, other COL expenses. Even living at home, the best you could probably get a degree for is probably $40K.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Yes, but with no diminution of skill.
But how's the linear stability?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies