Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:24 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,437,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Hate to break the news to you .. but getting sunshine on your skin produces vitamin D, and prevents cancer. It's the chemical sunscreens that are causing all of the skin cancers .. not the sun.

Of course, that's just a conspiracy theory dreamed up by microbiologists who use the same chemicals found in sun screens to grow cancer cells in the laboratory.

They give a pretty detailed method of effect ... chemicals absorb UV radiation and blocks production of vitamin D ... that absorbed UV radiation then penetrates into deeper levels of tissue than the sun's rays would ordinarily reach and where there is no natural protection from such UV. These UV saturated chemicals then sit adjacent to healthy cells for hours afterward and cannot be washed off. Healthy cells are damaged, and some may mutate. The incidence of cancer increases dramatically.

But again ... pay no attention to this conspiracy nonsense ... just smear that sunscreen all over your body when forced to be in the sun ... and avoid the sun at all costs, no matter how good you might feel ....

The more sunscreen used at the swimming pool .. the faster we'll clean up the gene pool.
Whatever. My mother and granmmother both got skin cancer from the sun and never wore a bit of sunscreen.

The only conspiracy here is this one you cooked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 08:36 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,024,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Hey broken lightbulb, Tanning is something that is not necessary but yet is a leading cause of skin cancer. Did that ever occur to you?
Actually, that is not correct. Sunlight is an invaluable source of Vitamin D which protects people from cancer. Overwhelmingly people are deficient in Vitamin D which is one reason why the skin cancer rate is so high. Every person should spend at least 10 - 20 minutes in the sun every day to receive sufficient exposure to obtain the necessary amounts of sunlight which will be transformed in the body into Vitamin D.

I find it ironic that a man who is so concerned with "health care" (which is in fact, just sickness management), would slap a tax on something that would actually help people be healthier. But then, I am not too surprised.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,272,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Hate to break the news to you .. but getting sunshine on your skin produces vitamin D, and prevents cancer. It's the chemical sunscreens that are causing all of the skin cancers .. not the sun.

Of course, that's just a conspiracy theory dreamed up by microbiologists who use the same chemicals found in sun screens to grow cancer cells in the laboratory.

They give a pretty detailed method of effect ... chemicals absorb UV radiation and blocks production of vitamin D ... that absorbed UV radiation then penetrates into deeper levels of tissue than the sun's rays would ordinarily reach and where there is no natural protection from such UV. These UV saturated chemicals then sit adjacent to healthy cells for hours afterward and cannot be washed off. Healthy cells are damaged, and some may mutate. The incidence of cancer increases dramatically.

But again ... pay no attention to this conspiracy nonsense ... just smear that sunscreen all over your body when forced to be in the sun ... and avoid the sun at all costs, no matter how good you might feel ....

The more sunscreen used at the swimming pool .. the faster we'll clean up the gene pool.
uhmm, so what does that have to do with tanning beds?

Old 03-21-2010, 08:41 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,272,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Does that mean his force will be giving out tickets on Miami Beach soon too? Or better yet, an outdoor entrance tax! For going in the sun!

Seriously, who tans indoors anymore? That is so 1980's....
If thats what the op is talking about, I can't imagine anything else

Old 03-21-2010, 08:42 PM

14,887 posts, read 8,498,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Whatever. My mother and granmmother both got skin cancer from the sun and never wore a bit of sunscreen.

The only conspiracy here is this one you cooked up.
Sorry to hear that. But to be clear ... I didn't say sunscreen was the only cause of skin cancer ... just a contributing factor in the huge increases in skin cancer that can be directly linked to the increase in sunscreen usage ... along with scientific analysis of the mechanisms at work. A lack of sunshine and subsequent lack of vitamin D is also a factor ... which has been reported in mainstream news recently, though known for a very long time.

Hopefully your arrogance and ignorance won't prevent you and others from at least investigating information that might benefit you, since you may already have a genetic predisposition to such cancer. But it's no "skin" off my nose if you don't.

You're welcome for the new information, and thank you for your insulting response.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:42 PM

67 posts, read 107,161 times
I'm far from an Obama supporter, but this thread is ridiculous.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,402,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
WHO: Tanning Beds Cause Cancer

Confirmed: Tanning Beds Cause Cancer | LiveScience Etc.

And we are told by our health agencies to limit our time in the sun. Let's not play dumb here.
He's not playing, that's all him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
No point. Never had one. Just mad I'm gonna have to pay extra to tan.
Go outside and get some sun, or go take a nice vacation in Florida, the Caribbean islands, or Hawaii...Have fun, live life, stop whining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I find it ironic that a man who is so concerned with "health care" (which is in fact, just sickness management), would slap a tax on something that would actually help people be healthier. But then, I am not too surprised.

20yrsinBranson
Get it naturally, get out more.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:44 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,300,601 times
Just another sin tax, but funny thread!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:45 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,584,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I find it ironic that a man who is so concerned with "health care" (which is in fact, just sickness management), would slap a tax on something that would actually help people be healthier.
So you disagree with the American Dermatological Association? Why? Do you own a tanning salon?

Quote:
The American Academy of Dermatology Association (AADA) opposes indoor tanning and supports a ban on the production and sale of indoor tanning equipment for non-medical purposes.
<Indoor Tanning Fact Sheet>

Old 03-21-2010, 08:45 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,543,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Go outside and get some sun, or go take a nice vacation in Florida, the Caribbean islands, or Hawaii...Have fun, live life, stop whining.

Did that a lot this weekend. Got a burn because I forgot my sunscreen. Guess I need a ticket or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies