Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:34 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times

Advertisements

Most of us probably remember the comment made by Senator Jim DeMint, Republican from South Carolina, last summer, on the pushh for health care reform: "If we're able to stop Obama on this, it will be his Waterloo. It will break him."

A different view was offered yesterday by David Frum, a fairly well-known conservative. And he says passage of the health care reform bill is a Waterloo alright - for Republicans.

He also had an interesting take on the possible repeal of the bill.
No illusions please: This bill will not be repealed. Even if Republicans scored a 1994 style landslide in November, how many votes could we muster to re-open the “doughnut hole” and charge seniors more for prescription drugs? How many votes to re-allow insurers to rescind policies when they discover a pre-existing condition? How many votes to banish 25 year olds from their parents’ insurance coverage? And even if the votes were there – would President Obama sign such a repeal?

We followed the most radical voices in the party and the movement, and they led us to abject and irreversible defeat.
Full article: Waterloo | FrumForum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 01:38 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Countdown to "David Frum is not a real Conservative" in 5. . . 4. . . 3. . .

Great article, btw. I like David Frum, and I particularly liked this part:
Could a deal have been reached? Who knows? But we do know that the gap between this plan and traditional Republican ideas is not very big. The Obama plan has a broad family resemblance to Mitt Romney’s Massachusetts plan. It builds on ideas developed at the Heritage Foundation in the early 1990s that formed the basis for Republican counter-proposals to Clintoncare in 1993-1994.

Barack Obama badly wanted Republican votes for his plan. Could we have leveraged his desire to align the plan more closely with conservative views? To finance it without redistributive taxes on productive enterprise – without weighing so heavily on small business – without expanding Medicaid? Too late now. They are all the law.

Last edited by Jill61; 03-22-2010 at 01:48 PM..

Old 03-22-2010, 01:41 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,273 times
Republicans are not going to run against this bill. The writer is correct- it would be stupid.
They will be running against the huge deficit and tax increases. Why we should trust them to fix either is beyond me.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:25 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Default Thanks for posting that.

Well-written - I disagree with the writer's motivations, but his analysis is pretty spot-on. Too bad that those who needs to read it won't.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:36 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,771 times
Frum is a RINO snake...

If Repubs get a better leadership & eventually win it all,House-Senate-Presidency,they can privatize anything,SS,Medicare/-aid...
They will just go to more debt,as they do for tax cuts to the rich.
If there is a will,there is a way...

Old 03-22-2010, 04:40 PM

89,009 posts, read 44,813,405 times
The Republicans won't have to do anything. The Dems will sink themselves when those 30 million or so start showing up at doctors' offices and hospitals demanding their ObamaCare. I see riots starting when they're informed that they're not actually going to get health care, they are just now able to purchase health insurance that has 30% co-pays.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Frum is a RINO snake...

If Repubs get a better leadership & eventually win it all,House-Senate-Presidency,they can privatize anything,SS,Medicare/-aid...
And IF, I were the Queen of England, I would speak with a falsetto, wear ermine robes, surround myself with Corkies and wave my magic wand and cure everyone of all their ailments so their would be no need for healthcare.

(I would normally argue those points, point by point, but I would rather have fun)

Old 03-22-2010, 05:06 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Frum is a RINO snake...

He's such a RINO that "ObamaCare" is basically the 1994 counter proposal to Clinton's healthcare plan.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:21 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Republicans are not going to run against this bill. The writer is correct- it would be stupid.
They will be running against the huge deficit and tax increases. Why we should trust them to fix either is beyond me.
Like they did with MMA in 2003. Don't increase taxes, just grow money on the trees, if not ask China for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well-written - I disagree with the writer's motivations, but his analysis is pretty spot-on. Too bad that those who needs to read it won't.
Actually, some will but none will be able to comprehend the message.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:30 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Less people than the previous elections. Republicans have been pretty bad with spending since at least the Reagan years, but I guess talking points die hard. This is why Republicans only talk about spending when referring to social programs, they like to jack us on defense spending. When people start screaming about Tax and Spend liberals I laugh it off since the GOP is Debt and Spend, which is far, far worse.

And honestly, the whole Waterloo thing is dumb, it was dumb for the Republicans to assume this with HCR + Obama and it's dumb to assume the reverse is true. They have potential for a minor victory, but they came off as gigantic obstructionists, especially in the last couple of months. If they had a couple of people cross the aisle and didn't look ridiculous when debating points they would have been better off over the long term.

In my mind the future of the GOP will depend on how they handle the fallout of the bill's passage. If they keep their current momentum they will be in bad shape in a decade or so.

I mean you CAN NOT platform on congressional gridlock. It's definitely not going to fly during a recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies