Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:01 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times

Advertisements

It's very telling that so many liberals here fully support California's government further intruding into personal liberties and controlling people's lives and the conservatives oppose the measure. For those who say smokers should only smoke in their home, for how much longer? There are places that have banned smoking in apartments and townhouses. Some city governments have even looked into banning smoking inside people's homes if they have kids in the home. With each step the state, local, and federal government makes into your personal lives, they'll continue further and further into trying to control your life and behavior. At what point will YOU stand up and say enough? Liberals fight to make smoking pot legal and want the government to mind their own business when it comes to smoking pot but are perfectly fine with the government trying to control tobacco smoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 05:11 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The last time I went to California (I think it was 2000 or maybe 2001), we went to a bar and everybody was smoking (well not everybody, but the majority of people). I asked the bartender... "Doesn't California have an indoor smoking ban?" He said that yes, they did, but because it was KILLING the bar and restaurant business, many local law enforcement people chose to look the other way when it came to enforcement.

I'd love to see how they are going to fund the amount of man-power it would take to enforce this ban on the beach and state park. California is broke, they can't afford to buy toilet paper. How are they going to enforce this?

It's so stupid anyway. I'm sure glad I live in Missouri, where (for the time being anyway) you can still smoke in restaurants and bars.

20yrsinBranson
non-smoker
The same crap is happening here. I went to a popular chain bar and everyone around me was smoking. The law here is they can not have smoking if food is served. Well, they serve food so they are clearly violating the law. I left in disgust letting them know I will NEVER return.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:18 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The same crap is happening here. I went to a popular chain bar and everyone around me was smoking. The law here is they can not have smoking if food is served. Well, they serve food so they are clearly violating the law. I left in disgust letting them know I will NEVER return.
I've always felt the decision should be left up to the owner of the restaurant. Many restaurants had already banned smoking and patrons complied willingly. As more customers complain about the smoke or refuse to eat at the restaurant because of smoking, the owners had two choices; go out of business or make their business smoke free to attract new customers. McDonald's was one of the first restaurants that banned smoking. I remember when they had those tin foil ashtrays on all the tables. I even remember when people smoked while shopping in the mall or grocery stores. Remember when you'd go to a public restroom stall and there'd be an ashtray mounted on the wall of the stall so people could enjoy a smoke while sitting on the pot. Push a lever and it opened to allow the cigarette butt and ash to fall into the container below.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:01 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Boy, what a funny thing to say! Did you graduate from middle school yet? Maybe your career plans for a stand-up comedian should be put on hold until then, what do you think? That is, if you think!
After living 30 years there and finally moving on, I think I am entitled to an opinion of that cesspool of a place. You may be able to spin it that everything was wonderful there for those who have never lived there, but I know better.

And yes, it was an immature comment, but I can admit when my comments are irrational in nature. Your entire process of reasoning is irrational (as there are countless examples throughout this board) and that is why you will never be able to recognize when you are being so. Another reason why your state is in such poor shape. You can't see why you are destroying it.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:11 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
It took me three tries with Chantix to finally quit. I went through two full treatments with no luck (because I just wasn't ready to quit). The third time I only had a three week supply of the pills, but was determined to quit this time. I smoked for the first two weeks and smoked my final cigarette just before midnight on Dec 31st 2008. Have not touched one since.
Good luck. I recommend Chantix for anyone wanting to quit. Some people don't like the weird dreams tho.
Congrats.....on being able to quit....I too waited until I was sure it was what I really wanted....I finished a pack and said today is the day..<<<But it took a week to do that...

I've had a couple of bad days but I WILL make it.....Having my family behind me is really helping....

That explains the dreams......LOL

And you NON smokers, instead of being butt heads as some of your here are, just maybe you can help some one quit.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:55 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Ban on smoking at parks, beaches moves forward
There is one reason given that I find very reasonable, the threat of fire in state parks. But other than that, no. I wonder if this no smoking ban will include pipes or joints? Will it be enforced against illegal aliens? Will state police arrest the Governator when he lights up a stogie? Will police enforce the law if actors light up while filming a scene for a movie at the beach or state park? and if so, will the actor scream, "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM!?" at the cops? And how much longer before the ban is extended into your private homes? Before you say never, remember, there was a time when people said they'd never ban smoking in bars or places outdoors or even within your own vehicle.
And people wonder why they are called "Anti-smoking Nazis"

Their state is going bankrupt, unemployment is in double digits, people are fleeing to get to other states, and they want to focus on smoking bans Typical.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:11 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,578 times
Quote:
It's very telling that so many liberals here fully support California's government further intruding into personal liberties and controlling people's lives and the conservatives oppose the measure. For those who say smokers should only smoke in their home, for how much longer? There are places that have banned smoking in apartments and townhouses. Some city governments have even looked into banning smoking inside people's homes if they have kids in the home. With each step the state, local, and federal government makes into your personal lives, they'll continue further and further into trying to control your life and behavior. At what point will YOU stand up and say enough? Liberals fight to make smoking pot legal and want the government to mind their own business when it comes to smoking pot but are perfectly fine with the government trying to control tobacco smoking.
The difference between you and I is that I actually live in CA and will be effected by it.

This is the "supposed" beauty of states rights, but it seems conservatives from other states can't take their sticky fingers out of our business (as shown by Prop 8). Deal with your own garbage before you start touching ours, please.

And... hah... you think it's just liberals that are fighting for marijuana legalization? What is this, the 60's? You are so far out of touch it's pretty incredible. Welcome to California!

Lastly, since you don't even live here, I thought I'd inform you that San Diego banned drinking on beaches.

Believe me, it wasn't the liberals that had their hands all over that one. But... you would know that if you lived here.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:07 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
The difference between you and I is that I actually live in CA and will be effected by it.

This is the "supposed" beauty of states rights, but it seems conservatives from other states can't take their sticky fingers out of our business (as shown by Prop 8). Deal with your own garbage before you start touching ours, please.

And... hah... you think it's just liberals that are fighting for marijuana legalization? What is this, the 60's? You are so far out of touch it's pretty incredible. Welcome to California!

Lastly, since you don't even live here, I thought I'd inform you that San Diego banned drinking on beaches.

Believe me, it wasn't the liberals that had their hands all over that one. But... you would know that if you lived here.
I live on the California Coast as well...and I for one am happy with the smoking bans. The litter is ridiculous (apparently, if you smoke, the world is your trashcan) and the smell is disgusting. I don't care if you smoke in your house, or in public, or in your cars....but PLEASE keep our beaches safe and clean.

In my area, they're trying to ban off road vehicles from the dunes. People are freaking out because it's 'infringing' on their freedoms. Yeah, their freedoms to get drunk, then hit and kill people, dump oil on the sand or in the ocean and leave beer cans/cigarette butts and random car parts all over the dunes. They also never pay attention to signage that says 'DO NOT ENTER PROTECTED HABITAT' and drive through areas where endangered animals live.

Maybe if people actually took care of the area they live/vacation in, these rules wouldn't be necessary.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:19 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Nope, you're so wrong. I've never smoked anything, neither cigarettes, cigars, pipes, nor pot. I'm for personal freedom and liberty, not expansion of government control of our lives. I hope everyone quits smoking and then the state and federal government would have to look elsewhere for their tax revenue or do their job and balance the budget and quit wasteful spending.
How about dog poop? People get tickets if they allow their dogs to use the beach for defecating. Do you want freedom for dog owners to use public beaches and parks for their pet's excrement?

When some people talk about "freedoms" they don't seem to have any idea that some limitations must be enforced. Why not drive 100mph down a residential street when you are late for an appointment?

After a while this just becomes riduculous. Californians do not want to lay on the beach if the idiot next to them wants to smoke. Most of the time those smoking at the beach are using marijuana. Do you want to get high just because some potheads want the freedom to smoke weed in your presence?

Old 03-24-2010, 05:07 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,139 times
Everyone, why do you have to argue about everything else when it comes to one specific topic. This is about banning smoking on beaches, and state parks. How is that a bad thing? How is it bad that someone can't smoke right in front of me when I'm at the beach? Forger the liberal,conservative, California budget b.s. and look at this isolated topic. You people talk about freedom, but isn't my freedom compromised when I can't chose whether or not I want to go to the beach and not smell cigarette smoke? Yes, I could move, but why should I have to? It amazes me the things people still argue about, this one is a losing battle. California is a mess right now, as is the country, but let me say one last time. Smoking=Bad, Banning it at Parks and Beaches=Good. Your welcome for clearing it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies