Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:44 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerLuvr View Post
Little Acorn, you wanta look at socialized medicine, look to Cuba. This new HC law is nothing like that system at all, unfortunately. Maybe because El Che was a doctor the Cubans, long ago, decided it was a good idea to take care of the medical needs of their fellow citizens, along with free education. Che lives.........however, not in this HC law in the U.S. What? You've never hear of Che? LOL
Why do you keep saying "Che lives"? You obviously know nothing of Che, except that derived from the Broadway play "Evita". Che was a ruthless killer who is despised by nearly everyone who cherishes liberty. He is glorified by that group which appears to love tyrants- the left.

How is this UHC? Obviously, you have not studied the same "model" for Obamacare in Massachusetts- Romneycare. As a result of Romneycare, Mass has the highest insurance rates for healthcare in the US. Currently, there are three private healthcare insurance companies remaining in Mass, two of which has lost money in the last two years. All three state that they will have to raise rates an additional 40% this year to remain solvent. This, of course, will not happen, which is what Obama hopes for- an elimination of private insurers such that the single payor system will take its place.

If you really like Obamacare, look at Massachusetts to see what is in store for us all. Why do you think that Mass elected a republican senator opposed to Obamacare? They have experienced Obamacare first hand and do not like what they have experienced. Too bad the rest of the nation could not have learned from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 06:57 PM

533 posts, read 318,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why do you keep saying "Che lives"? You obviously know nothing of Che, except that derived from the Broadway play "Evita". Che was a ruthless killer who is despised by nearly everyone who cherishes liberty. He is glorified by that group which appears to love tyrants- the left.

How is this UHC? Obviously, you have not studied the same "model" for Obamacare in Massachusetts- Romneycare. As a result of Romneycare, Mass has the highest insurance rates for healthcare in the US. Currently, there are three private healthcare insurance companies remaining in Mass, two of which has lost money in the last two years. All three state that they will have to raise rates an additional 40% this year to remain solvent. This, of course, will not happen, which is what Obama hopes for- an elimination of private insurers such that the single payor system will take its place.

If you really like Obamacare, look at Massachusetts to see what is in store for us all. Why do you think that Mass elected a republican senator opposed to Obamacare? They have experienced Obamacare first hand and do not like what they have experienced. Too bad the rest of the nation could not have learned from them.

Wrong. I've read quite a lot about Che. Apparently you do not understand what the words "Che lives" mean. Btw, I am liberal. Duh! I have no doubt that I know quite a bit more about Che Guevara than you do.......I'm an avid reader. I also know that in reality Che hated Evita's husband and his government.

The title of THIS thread calls the new HC law "Federal Socialized Medicine"....and it is far from socialized medicine.....so I'm just correcting the propaganda put forth in the very thread title by referencing countries like Cuba who do have socialized medicine. I LIKE THE NEW LAW. I think it is a very good FIRST STEP. I would prefer SINGLE PAYER. Btw, I broke my wrist while hiking in a tropical rain forest in Costa Rica and had the opportunity to experience first-hand their nationalized medical care. It was EXCELLENT.

If we are fortunate, the gods will smile on us and we will eventually get a single payer system.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
We all know that its impossible for welfare recipiants to find a good education. So clearly the answer is Democrats.
Is that why Republicans are such good spellers?

Old 03-23-2010, 07:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
They could find a good education, but they choose not to. Then, they blame others for their lack of an education. I came from a single parent home, went to college, worked my butt off, attended less than par public schools, and I am conservative.
Personal responsibility does lead to success in life. Good for you!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:26 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
Just an FYI - it's not like this is the first time the federal government has mandated that citizens buy something. Check out the Second Militia Act of 1792 (passed May 8, 1792).
I. ... That every citizen, so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, two spare flints, and a knapsack, a pouch, with a box therein, to contain not less than twenty four cartridges, suited to the bore of his musket or firelock, each cartridge to contain a proper quantity of powder and ball; or with a good rifle, knapsack, shot-pouch, and powder-horn, twenty balls suited to the bore of his rifle, and a quarter of a pound of powder; and shall appear so armed, accoutred and provided, when called out to exercise or into service, except, that when called out on company days to exercise only, he may appear without a knapsack.
See also: Militia Acts of 1792 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The second Act, passed May 8, 1792, provided for the organization of the state militias. It conscripted every "free able-bodied white male citizen" between the ages of 18 and 45 into a local militia company overseen by the state. Militia members were required to arm themselves at their own expense with a musket, bayonet and belt, two spare flints, a cartridge box with 24 bullets, and a knapsack. Men owning rifles were required to provide a powder horn, 1/4 pound of gun powder, 20 rifle balls, a shooting pouch, and a knapsack.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:32 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oooh, another opinion piece by the usual suspects.
Followed by more useless banter by the usual people, with nothing to say, but saying it anyway.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:30 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerLuvr View Post
Wrong. I've read quite a lot about Che. Apparently you do not understand what the words "Che lives" mean. Btw, I am liberal. Duh! I have no doubt that I know quite a bit more about Che Guevara than you do.......I'm an avid reader. I also know that in reality Che hated Evita's husband and his government.

The title of THIS thread calls the new HC law "Federal Socialized Medicine"....and it is far from socialized medicine.....so I'm just correcting the propaganda put forth in the very thread title by referencing countries like Cuba who do have socialized medicine. I LIKE THE NEW LAW. I think it is a very good FIRST STEP. I would prefer SINGLE PAYER. Btw, I broke my wrist while hiking in a tropical rain forest in Costa Rica and had the opportunity to experience first-hand their nationalized medical care. It was EXCELLENT.

If we are fortunate, the gods will smile on us and we will eventually get a single payer system.

Sure. If you knew anything about Che and claimed to be a human being, your praise would be inconsistent with your purported species. Here is a link regarding your beloved hero. It is only natural that pigs would celebrate other pigs.

http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=4455

Of course you like the new law. You are a marxist. Of course you would prefer single payor. You are a marxist. If you love national healthcare, please seek medical treatment in Cuba or North Korea.

How, as a non-physician, are you able to determine what is good care and what is not? Do you realize that a child could treat a distal radius fracture (what you had)? A distal radius fracture will usually be sustained when an outstreched hand tries to break a fall. It requires a simple cast. Now try treating a compound distal radius fracture (bone protruding through skin) and see who has "good" healthcare.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 03-23-2010 at 08:48 PM..

Old 03-23-2010, 08:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I would think that the real court case will come nearer 2014 when the feds try to dump os mnay nto medicaid. The staes can file that the feds need to support with more moeny permanently. Or they can not take the first few years funding to avoid the mandate that they contiue what the feds funded in first few years. That will put the feds in rewal problme with medicaid because the states pay a large share. If a state does look for large state tax increrases coming in outlaying years after the federal increase stops.Many states are already facing large future funding from taking stimulus money with mandates attched to the money.Increased mandates attched means higher state taxes.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Sure. If you knew anything about Che and claimed to be a human being, your praise would be inconsistent with your purported species. Here is a link regarding your beloved hero. It is only natural that pigs would celebrate other pigs.

The Real Che Guevara by Humberto Fontova -- Capitalism Magazine

Of course you like the new law. You are a marxist. Of course you would prefer single payor. You are a marxist. If you love national healthcare, please seek medical treatment in Cuba or North Korea.

How, as a non-physician, are you able to determine what is good care and what is not? Do you realize that a child could treat a distal radius fracture (what you had)? A distal radius fracture will usually be sustained when an outstreched hand tries to break a fall. It requires a simple cast. Now try treating a compound distal radius fracture (bone protruding through skin) and see who has "good" healthcare.

Hmmmm, calm down now. Calm down. Did you just call me a "pig"? Would that be a personal attack? Does the mention of the name Che always send you into hysterics? Did you also say that I am not even human because I found things to admire about Che? Do you ever read or post at http://babalublog.com/author/val-prieto/ Humberto Fontova is a favorite of the Miami Cuban exile group, huh?

Are you a physician? When was the last time you had a child treat a "distal radius fracture" for you......and what do you know about how important my wrists and hands are? Do you think it would be important for a concert pianist or some other muscian to have very good medical care if a wrist, finger, or several fingers were broken? Your post just makes you sound so full of yourself. It is NOT necessary to be a medical doctor in order to evaluate the medical treatment one receives. My injuries were well taken care of and I did not have any residual problems afterwards when I returned to the U.S. and followed up with my doctor here. So, what, did you go to nursing school?

I would highly recommend the book Che by Jon Anderson. Oh, yes. What are you, a capitalist pig? You have no clue whether or not I'm a marxist, etc., etc. You apparently just enjoy calling people names.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:28 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oooh, another opinion piece by the usual suspects.
The number has gone up to 14 right now, but a lot of other States, including Alaska are looking into it:
States Sue Over Overhaul That Will Bust State Budgets (Update2) - Bloomberg.com
The reason may be because of the state of their economies:
Massive Job Cuts To NYC Workforce Projected - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/local/nyc.budget.cuts.2.1583545.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies