Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:04 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Do some of you really wish for another American civil war? Honestly? Seriously? I don't, and I'm one of the most vile Republican-haters on this forum. Why don't I? Because I still believe that we can discuss the issues instead of just shouting. Even many on this forum, if not shielded by the Internet, including myself, would probably be a lot better at discussing the issues. That's why I go out to those Coffee Party events, they have conservatives and liberals there talking and discussing, not just posturing (most of the time).

Besides, even if an armed rebellion were to attempt to form, the President would simply crush it with the military. Armed resistance in today's era is meaningless except if you try to target innocent civilians in a terrorist style campaign, and I doubt even the most rabid Republicans here would honestly go that far.

Our economies are too far and inextricably linked, our society too fluid, and too interdependent to honestly consider a rebellion unless it was widespread and popular, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
you are a hater and can still discuss, not argue

not what I have seen in the past
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 06:28 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
you are a hater and can still discuss, not argue

not what I have seen in the past
I go too far with the term. I really don't "hate" Republicans, I simply vehemently argue against a lot of what Republicans say. But I'm also a deal maker. I realize that I cannot get everything I want, and I hope you do, too. The only way we can get things done is by compromise, or so it should go.

Yes, I realize this is coming from the same person who said that all Republicans deserve "a bullet to the brain" but again, I admit to having a problem with anger and accept that, and don't really mean all that. If you met me at a bar or some public place, I'm actually a lot milder than I portray unless someone is pushing my buttons ... lol.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I go too far with the term. I really don't "hate" Republicans, I simply vehemently argue against a lot of what Republicans say. But I'm also a deal maker. I realize that I cannot get everything I want, and I hope you do, too. The only way we can get things done is by compromise, or so it should go.

Yes, I realize this is coming from the same person who said that all Republicans deserve "a bullet to the brain" but again, I admit to having a problem with anger and accept that, and don't really mean all that. If you met me at a bar or some public place, I'm actually a lot milder than I portray unless someone is pushing my buttons ... lol.
I agree completely with the compromise part, but the hate spewed here in general shows me that in this country compromise is off the table and I find that quite sad.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I agree completely with the compromise part, but the hate spewed here in general shows me that in this country compromise is off the table and I find that quite sad.

I'll run for Congress if you will . I hope we can work together. Maybe we can start a quiet revolution ... one that our Constitution affords every 2 or 4 years. I think if more normal Americans ran for political office we'd get more done. I still have faith in the everyday American.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I'll run for Congress if you will . I hope we can work together. Maybe we can start a quiet revolution ... one that our Constitution affords every 2 or 4 years.
okay but need term limits so we don't become bought and paid for cronies.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
okay but need term limits so we don't become bought and paid for cronies.
Deal. I enjoy engineering too much to stay a politician anyway.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:34 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,951 times
I think the OP is a very good prediction of what will happen, but almost all predictions about the future end up being wrong. In spite of that, it's reasonable stuff, quite moderate and doesn't go out on a limb with goofy predictions like "We will all be using flying cars and we'll have a colony on Io."

Someone said that Iran will use the Bomb. I couldn't disagree more. Iran knows that it will be vaporized if it is reliably implicated in permitting ANYONE ELSE to use one of their future nukes. How much more certain is it that they'll be wiped off the globe if they use it directly? And don't respond by saying "Muslims don't care if they die" --- that only applies to a very small minority of extremist Muslims who use suicide terrorist attacks. If a majority of Muslims were willing to die in order to change the world, the world as we know it would cease to exist.

And then there's the knucklehead who says "peak oil is a liberal myth." So... let me get this straight... Never-ending oil supplies from outer space will provide us with oil for all eternity because Jesus died for our SUVs? Or what other explanation is there for this notion that finite resources can never be exhausted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies