Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:45 AM

102 posts, read 138,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
And you made utter sense in the VERY FIRST line of your reply...but consider my situation...

In Middletown, Ohio, where I live, the population is a little over 50,000, with about 5000 folks being black...my wife, mother-in-law, and I have a really nice home in a predominately white area of town...we are one of the FEW black families in that area, and in the 3 years we've been on our street, the color of our skin has mattered to our neighbors approximately ZERO times...that's right, I said ZERO...in fact, the first spring we were there (2007) we were trying to get a very evil stree stump out of our front flower bed...my neighbor came across the street with the biggest baddest pair of pruners I'd ever seen, and said 'keep 'em as long as ya need em...you know where I live!'

I was shocked, and that day a friendship began which has lasted through snowstorms, gully-washers (rainstorms), and politics...what am I saying here?
This...try reaching out to the non-criminal black folk in your area, like my neighbor did to my wife and me...you might be surprised at their reaction...and also know there are areas which are predominately black that are not as crime-infested as yours seems to be...and no, my wife and I STILL ain't going back to Africa

I know all about "reaching out" to blacks. Why is it that whites are always expected to "reach out" to blacks yet never the other way around? Where are all thse black-run countries when natural disasters strike the United States? Why do blacks always move out of their own neighborhoods and into a white neighborhood when they feel like they've "made it big"? Of course whites in your neighborhood love you...it's because you're one of the FEW blacks in the area. White people love blacks as long as there are few of them around and as long as others get to deal with their crimes and it doesn't affect them. I wonder how much they'd love blacks if they lived all around, stereos thumping into the wee hours of the morning, little black children running all over the streets late at night when you can barely see them while driving, black gang members hanging out on street corners. I wonder how much they'd preach "diversity" then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 07:53 AM

2,118 posts, read 4,160,518 times
Captaincatfish...interesting observations. Glad your neighbors were good to you as it should be. A black co worker who is also an RN rode to a seminar with me in Raleigh about a year ago. We came back after dark and my new nav system took me on a route through the city to get home. It took me right by A&T university (a predominantly black engineering school here in the area). It happened to be after one of their football games at night so alot of people in the streets with some detours. I did not say a thing however when we came up on a group of black youth in the middle of the road she said and I quote her "be careful...you get alot of black folks together and they don't know how to act" I said what do you mean? She said "you know..the thug mentality" These were university kids, educated so I asked further why she felt "scared". She said they were purposely moving slow as snot to get out of the middle of the road just to prove something and it wasn't good. So maybe it is true that when blacks are a family in a white neighborhood they act civil but maybe if it had been 2-3 black families they would have been less likely to be open to having white friends as well as the white neighbors being less likely to offer friendship. Sad but true..I tend to agree with my co workers observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies