Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:51 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
I rely on information, actions, and events which are well documented and easily verified
As you can see, I rely on information from actual peer-reviewed studies by respected well qualified scientists published in reputable science journals. All well documented and easily verified for those who are interested in actual facts.

As far as I can see, you appear to rely on misinformation posted on religious backed websites with an anti-gay agenda who don't seem to let facts get in the way of their hate/fear-mongering crusade.

Did you realise that Timothy Dailey (the author of the "report" you got all your supposedly "well documented, verified and corroborated information" from), has also written books on such illuminating topics as:

Mysteries of the Bible, Aug. 2006
Dark Obsession: The Tragedy and Threat of the Homosexual Lifestyle, 2003
Divine Healing: The power of Faith, 2000
Amazing Prophecies of the Bible: What the Bible Reveals, 1999
Healing Through the Power of Prayer, 1997
Millennial Deception: Angels, Aliens, and the Antichrist, Sep. 1995
The Gathering Storm, Apr. 1992

Dailey is currently one of the leaders of the Family Research Council (merged with James Dobson's Focus on the Family)and also used to teach in the Department of Bible and Theology in Toccoa Falls College, Georgia

His "report" can be found on websites like TraditionalValues.org and other websites listed by Southern Poverty Law Centre as a hate groups.

Quote:
The FRC's current senior fellow for cultural studies, Timothy Dailey, has taken over Knight's role as FRC's main anti-gay propagandist, comparing gays to "abnormal cells," co-authoring Getting It Straight, a "statistical" compendium of the "evils" of homosexuality, and penning Dark Obsession: The Tragedy and Threat of the Homosexual Lifestyle, yet another lurid FRC publication.
'A Mighty Army' | Southern Poverty Law Center

And once again, THIS is what Dr A. Nicholas Groth wrote to Timothy Dailey concerning the distortion and misrepresentation of his studies in the very report you used in your link:

“Since your report, in my view, misrepresents the facts of what we know about this matter from scientific investigation, and does not indicate that my studies on this topic reach conclusions diametrically opposed to yours, I would appreciate your removing any reference to my work in your paper lest it appear to the reader that my research supports your views.”

(Groth, A. Nicholas. Letter to Timothy J. Dailey, Ph. D., Family Research Council. June 10, 2002. Included in the Human Rights Campaign’s press release dated June 14, 2002)

Each to their own I guess.

Last edited by Ceist; 03-31-2010 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 10:05 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,434,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I agree with you about the "access" to boys.

And as some of the studies I linked to above show, it's also because these young pre-pubescent boys are more like females - ie soft skinned, delicate, no facial hair and body hair and NOT like adult men. Which makes them more attractive to men whose adult sexual orientation (if they have one) would be heterosexual, not homosexual.
You said it when you said "if they have one" because up until the first time it happens, they've been celibate their whole life (which in their situation would even include masterbation). I think it's something that in the past they heard plenty about through confessions. You have to remember, a lot of these molestation incidents are being told by people that are well into their adult lives now....meaning it happened to them 20, 30 even 40 years ago. Back then sexual abuse and incest was very much in the closet because mental health itself was in the closet then. Psychiatrists were for people who were crazy and counseling or any other kind of out-patient treatment/sessions were unheard of....nobody talked about it or admitted to getting couseling if they were. That being the case, the only place anything like this was ever talked about, was in the confessional booth so the priest was the one person that was hearing what was going on from everyone that had an issue with it in their lives (from both the abuser and the victims).

After hearing so much from so many and then becoming abusers themselves with their victims often being boys rather than girls and whether or not that meant that they were gay or straight, was probably the least of their concerns compared to the sin they knew they were now guilty of committing. We're talking about men that have had NO sexual experiences in their lives and then find themselves obsessing over perversion (having heard confessions about it so much....in a way that most people have no idea happens, especially if they're not familiar with the Catholic religion). When they finally snap and cross that line one day with someone they can victimize, sexual preference is probably not even a factor by then. Even if they do think about it, for them it's just one more sin they're going to be adding to a list they're already knee deep in by then. Please note, I'm not saying being gay is a sin (that's not for me to judge)....I'm saying for them and their religious beliefs, it is/was.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
You said it when you said "if they have one" because up until the first time it happens, they've been celibate their whole life (which in their situation would even include masterbation). I think it's something that in the past they heard plenty about through confessions. You have to remember, a lot of these molestation incidents are being told by people that are well into their adult lives now....meaning it happened to them 20, 30 even 40 years ago. Back then sexual abuse and incest was very much in the closet because mental health itself was in the closet then. Psychiatrists were for people who were crazy and counseling or any other kind of out-patient treatment/sessions were unheard of....nobody talked about it or admitted to getting couseling if they were. That being the case, the only place anything like this was ever talked about, was in the confessional booth so the priest was the one person that was hearing what was going on from everyone that had an issue with it in their lives (from both the abuser and the victims).

After hearing so much from so many and then becoming abusers themselves with their victims often being boys rather than girls and whether or not that meant that they were gay or straight, was probably the least of their concerns compared to the sin they knew they were now guilty of committing. We're talking about men that have had NO sexual experiences in their lives and then find themselves obsessing over perversion (having heard confessions about it so much....in a way that most people have no idea happens, especially if they're not familiar with the Catholic religion). When they finally snap and cross that line one day with someone they can victimize, sexual preference is probably not even a factor by then. Even if they do think about it, for them it's just one more sin they're going to be adding to a list they're already knee deep in by then. Please note, I'm not saying being gay is a sin (that's not for me to judge)....I'm saying for them and their religious beliefs, it is/was.
They had far more access to boys than girls. If they had had the same acces to girls, no doubt we would have been hearing a lot about girls being molested as well. I don't think this has anything to do with being gay or straight, but about being able to control a child for their own perverted pleasure.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:14 AM

223 posts, read 169,443 times
Quote:
That is total HOGWASH. Pedophiles are sicko SOBs who are attracted to children. When that act is committed by a man against a boy, it's homosexual .. so peddle this disgusting propaganda elsewhere.

Man, am I sick and tired of this up is really down, nonsense.

Furthermore, there is a well known (though often denied) link between pedophilia and homosexuality, as is clearly defined here:

Study shows link between homosexuality and pedophilia - Interim, September 2002

So let's drop the BS ... and condemn the act without the PC twisting of reality.
Bogus link to LifeSiteNews.com
Life, Family & Culture.

You'll find nothing like you suggest on real websites.
Yours has quite an agenda (I'm shocked, I tell you).

Quote:
When the cover up, and hence, the enabling of this abhorrent behavior to continue reaches to the very head of the Catholic church .. The Pope ... then it is the Catholic church that condemns itself, through it's own actions.

This ... "well the others do it too" is not a very good defense.
It wasn't being used as a defense.
It was stating that other religions, such as the Evangelicals, do it as well.

I'd say it was all organized religion.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:19 AM

223 posts, read 169,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
why is this so important to you to post?

Nita
Because it is important.
Institutionalized child rape and cover-ups.
You don't think this is important? Why not?
Those kids will be damaged for life; rape is the gift that keeps on giving.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:29 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
The Celibacy rule needs to change, the only reason little boys are the targets is because they can't get pregnant.Maybe some of them are gay but its not natural for a man not to have sex. That being said all those scumbags should burn in hell including the current Pope.
Exactly! This is the sort of thing that happens when any man, for whatever reason, believes they have transcended the human condition and are somehow "called" to be "holy". Total delusion that later results in animalistic behaviors!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:09 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Being Catholic (though I don't practice much but very much believe in God) hearing about all of these issues with the priests and the cover ups is totally disgusting! For this pope or ANYONE in the church to continue to cover these horrible acts up, and not allow them to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law is not a true person of God! Is it any wonder why the Catholic religion is losing members, or getting a bad name? Furthermore, why is it that priest in other religions are allowed to get married, but not in the Catholic Church? Didn't God tell us to be fruitful, and multiply?

Another thing that I wonder is, because a priest is supposed to remain celibate and unable to marry, could it be that the lack of getting "any" makes them want to molest little boys. Perhaps similar to what we hear that goes on in prison? Or were these priests already pedophiles, and becoming a priest was the perfect opportunity for them to engage in their sick little acts? Either way it's disgusting, and I certainly hope that God will give them what they deserve; A ONE WAY TICKET TO HELL!

The pope or ANYONE covering up these cases should be forced to step down! F***in' hypocrites!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:28 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Anyone involved in this matter, who knew and did nothing to stop this pedophile should be held accountable. This includes the idiotic joke, the pope.

The Catholic religion is so outdated and corrupt it's just sickening. I must admit, I have a personal animosity toward the Catholic church for another reason.

My mother had a baby that died 2 days after he was born. Her husband was Catholic and wanted the baby (my brother) buried on the "Catholic side" of the cemetery. Since the baby wasn't yet baptized, this was not permitted. He had to be buried on the "Protestant side" away from the rest of the family and, of course, according to the Catholic religion, he is forever condemned to purgatory. What kind of EVIL nonsense is that?

Nothing wrong with going to church, but with so many other Christian churches to choose from, Presbyterian, Methodist, Episcopalian, it's hard to figure out why people stick with the Catholic church which has proven over and over to be rotten at the core.
I agree. There is a HUGE difference between God's religion and Man's religion.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Transparently, you avoid addressing the information presented......
Still waiting for you to address the information presented....

Old 04-03-2010, 09:20 AM

309 posts, read 1,210,310 times
Greetings,
I believe the Pope should resign. and I dont believe the vatican should be able to legally hide the crimes many of the Catholic Priest have commited and they should be held in court just like the rest of us, if we did this.

This guy did this in WI. where was and why is this state not pressing charges on the ones who covered it up?
This guy who molested these boys didn't get by with a thing. He faced God when he died. They can repent all they want, was or are they sincere or scared when they repent. I have a hard believing all this repentance going on by the Pope is sincere. HE is a pervert..... They know they will face God for all of this. Why dont they let the guys get married? Maybe there wouldn't be innocent children abused like this. The Catholic's better reform there beliefs. There beliefs are not doing abused children any good then or now.
My heart goes out to all of these folks who was abused by the Catholic Faith. I Pray you can find peace and forgiveness. Work in all the places these priests are to get next to the children to see who is doing it now. After all you know all the signs, since it happen to you..
BE Blessed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies