Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:56 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times

Advertisements

It's not just you; the whole nation seems to have gone mad.

The anger, the fear, the divisions, the outrage are palpable, growing with each passing day and becoming infinitely more dangerous. All it would take is one little spark, some inconsquential act, and we could see an explosion of violence, mayhem and murder unlike anything this nation has ever seen. And, our nation might not survive it.

I've lived over 60 years, am a student of US history, and I believe these are the most dangerous days in our history, more so even than before the Civil War. Far too many people are far too angry, far to unwilling to compromise and far too willing to resort to violence. That anger and hatred is being fed in ways which were not available previously via the internet, mass media and e-mail, so the lies, half-truths and hate are instantly transmitted from one outraged person to another, with nothing to slow or stop it's circulation. Whatever "proves" what someone believes is immediately accepted and passed on, with no regard to the truth or the effects of doing so.

Our people are seething, like a volcano about to erupt. The tremors can be felt right here on these boards as people talk about insurrection, armed revolt, race wars and, in too many instances, long for it to happen. The seeds of our destruction, sown by men who know exactly what they are doing, are about to bear fruit. Our country teeters over the abyss.

It's good that you came back to apologize and set the record straight. How I wish more would step back, take a hard look at what they are saying, and do the same thing, but I fear it's gone too far already for most people. Positions have hardened, the enemy has been identified, the weapons are locked and loaded and all that needs be done to set off the conflagration which will consume is all is for someone to apply the match.

I have no doubt that someone is out there now.

God help us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 12:00 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
My grandfather was born in the late 1800's and served in World War I. He never paid into Social Security until he was forced to. He never put his money in a bank and kept a shot gun next to his bed. He lived to be 96 and never went to a doctor for anything major until he turned 84. He was a farmer and a business man. He always said, "I can take care of myself." If he was alive and the federal government told him you must buy health insurance from a Private Company, he would probably say "Over my dead body". Bet you think he was a Republican

Nope, he was a democrat his entire life.
He said "We have to help the little guy."

Point being - all this media and political spin trying to pit folks against folks - it's not for us - it's for them. Know the difference

Old 03-26-2010, 01:45 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Hi everyone, earlier today I posted a thread which espoused violence against my fellow countrymen for the childish actions of a few. I should be more mature than that and I hope you can accept my apologies, especially in light of the fact that a Republican whip's office got shot at by as yet unknown people. I hope you accept my apologies. I can call you childish, boorish, stupid, etc., but violence ... it shouldn't even be on the table. This is America, not Russia or China, where dissidents and those with differing opinions from the state are locked up or worse.

I also did some thinking this afternoon about why Republicans are against health care reform in this form, and with such vigor. It has to be more than simple party bickering.

Then it dawned on me. I remember dating a few girls in college who were from staunchly conservative households in the countryside. "Those city kids just don't understand." I remember one mother telling me, of the lifestyle that those in the country go through.

Something as simple as federally mandated speed limits got their blood boiling. I have always asked, "Why?"

Could it be that people who are Republican are simply fiercely independent?

I'd like to hear from more people who are Republican. I'd like to keep this discussion with a cool head (cannot always promise this, Lord knows I have problems with anger management). The things I've said online will probably sink me one day if I ever do go into politics, but I do at least want to learn more about what others think since part of me attempts to mend bridges and build empathy (my Meyers-Briggs type is INFP), for if I ever do get into it.

Also, suggestions on anger management would be helpful, LOL.
I think we've all gotten more than a little out of control at times. I haven't read those posts that you're talking about, but at least you had the kahunas to come out and say that you said some things you didn't really mean. That says a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies