Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:46 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, earlier today I posted a thread which espoused violence against my fellow countrymen for the childish actions of a few. I should be more mature than that and I hope you can accept my apologies, especially in light of the fact that a Republican whip's office got shot at by as yet unknown people. I hope you accept my apologies. I can call you childish, boorish, stupid, etc., but violence ... it shouldn't even be on the table. This is America, not Russia or China, where dissidents and those with differing opinions from the state are locked up or worse.

I also did some thinking this afternoon about why Republicans are against health care reform in this form, and with such vigor. It has to be more than simple party bickering.

Then it dawned on me. I remember dating a few girls in college who were from staunchly conservative households in the countryside. "Those city kids just don't understand." I remember one mother telling me, of the lifestyle that those in the country go through.

Something as simple as federally mandated speed limits got their blood boiling. I have always asked, "Why?"

Could it be that people who are Republican are simply fiercely independent?

I'd like to hear from more people who are Republican. I'd like to keep this discussion with a cool head (cannot always promise this, Lord knows I have problems with anger management). The things I've said online will probably sink me one day if I ever do go into politics, but I do at least want to learn more about what others think since part of me attempts to mend bridges and build empathy (my Meyers-Briggs type is INFP), for if I ever do get into it.

Also, suggestions on anger management would be helpful, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 05:56 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times
apology accepted. everyone gets carried away at times. just necessary to always remind yourself that the forums will change no ones lives or views, just a way to vent.
I always remind myself that I am here for entertainment purposes only.
lots of people here take things way to seriously.
see ya here often.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:01 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
You no longer wish to shoot every republican in the USA in the head?
Well that's just fantastic.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:03 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Okay, well hon, let's not go crazy now.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:04 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
You no longer wish to shoot every republican in the USA in the head?
Well that's just fantastic.
How about just winging the really mean ones a little?

Old 03-25-2010, 06:07 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
You know LE agencies monitor the net, one should never post anything you wouldn't care for them to read...

Though the bigger problem would be why someone would get so angry they'd advocate violence...

Old 03-25-2010, 06:19 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You know LE agencies monitor the net, one should never post anything you wouldn't care for them to read...

Though the bigger problem would be why someone would get so angry they'd advocate violence...

Maybe they equate violence to the Constitution with violence to those responsible.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Yeah ... I know I shouldn't be posting these things online. In reality I'm not a violent person, though I do have very passionate beliefs. I'm trying to temper those with reason and logic - that is really, really hard to do.

I just hope that there's no real hard feelings on here. Just know I'm trying real, real hard to stop being such an antagonist. Any tips on how to filter out what people say on here vs. which ones are serious would really help.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:36 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
It's the internet, man. Anonymity = 100% increase in obnoxiousness.

That said, I think a lot of the current right-wing lashing out and a lot of politics in general is based on a sort of fearmongering which is only exacerbated by the deplorable state of the mass media right now.

Politics based on fear and hatred never turn out well for anyone, especially when we have a lot of people convinced that their commander in chief actively hates them and wants to ruin their lives.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:40 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
This comes as a revelation to you? "Rugged Individualism" has long been one of the mantras of the Republican party. Herbert Hoover was especially fond of using the term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies