Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:02 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
What a thoughtful post, thanks for the wikipedia link. I hate societies that don't value profit over the lives of the poor.
Strawman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 11:04 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Gotta love how Ted Kennedy at age 76 gets surgery, radiation and chemotherapy for a terminal brain tumor. Think under his plan any of the surfs age 76 with terminal brain cancer would get $100k in treatment to give them one more year?
Wait, so you're complaining on one hand about a super-wealthy, super-powerful individual getting great care, and simultaneously decrying a health insurance reform that extends medicare and creates more subsidies for people near the federal poverty level by taxing the most expensive health insurance policies?

Old 03-26-2010, 11:05 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,218,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yep, there's a name for this sort of giant scam.

Kleptocracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
OK...Kleptocracy... That is funny...Been going on for a real long time tho.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Strawman
Pointing out fallacies without engaging the argument in any substantive way is a great way to come off as a pedant, why don't you take a look at the arguments I'm responding to?

Old 03-26-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Pointing out fallacies without engaging the argument in any substantive way is a great way to come off as a pedant, why don't you take a look at the arguments I'm responding to?
Oh wait, there is no argument, just the baseless inference that with the health insurance reform bill, our country just became a kleptocracy. Any interest in unpacking that claim?

Old 03-26-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
You are engaged now. Thus, your strawman that I pointed out was unnecessary. Maybe you should have engaged the conversation before you sarcastically made a strawman at the OPs initial comments.

Im simply calling a spade a spade. Your post WAS a strawman.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
You are engaged now. Thus, your strawman that I pointed out was unnecessary. Maybe you should have engaged the conversation before you sarcastically made a strawman at the OPs initial comments.

Im simply calling a spade a spade. Your post WAS a strawman.
Except you only call out fallacies when its implying something which you don't agree with. Your pseudo-disinterestedness is even more dishonest.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:13 AM

8 posts, read 11,043 times
Momonkey - don't be discouraged by this left wing, liberal propaganda! You are absolutely right and, fortunately, WE are the "not-so-silent-anymore" majority, not them which will be proven, come November 2010 -- that is if Acorn and similar groups aren't allowed to get away with the extreme voter fraud again.

Have you noticed that Obama's approval rating has now dipped into the negative?

""A government that is big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-26-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Except you only call out fallacies when its implying something which you don't agree with. Your pseudo-disinterestedness is even more dishonest.
Unlucky me, it appears that the only people on this forum who constantly and consistantly use childish debate tactics like strawman, red herring, deflecting, avoidance, and relativity are on the left.

This thread is a perfect example.

If this wasn't the case, then you may have a legitimate claim of me only calling out fallacies when I don't agree. Until some of you on the left learn how to grow up and engage with the adults in conversations, it appears that my bias will be unchecked and purely speculation.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:17 AM

Great example in the post above and on the first page. Any desire to call out these ridiculous appeals to authority, particularly since they are cherry picked quotes from authorities that lived in an entirely different world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies