U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2010, 06:48 AM
 
301 posts, read 55,454 times
Reputation: 95
Default Do you know someone that does Not have health insurance that does not want health insurance?

How many people know of someone that doesn't have health insurance and doesn't want any heath insurance? I personally don't know anybody and don't know anybody that knows anybody that falls into that category. I will venture to say that the percentage of people that fall into this category are extremely small.

This is what the radical right's opposition boils down to. They tried the fake abortion thing but that didn't stick so they went back to the health insurance mandate. The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of the people out complaining about the mandate already have healthcare and the others want/need healthcare. In essence they're arguing against what wont effect them or what will provide them the insurance they need. Just silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2010, 06:54 AM
 
2,797 posts, read 867,083 times
Reputation: 829
I know a fair number who don't want health insurance. In my experience the majority don't want the side effects of it. It's this thing called a bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 07:02 AM
 
301 posts, read 55,454 times
Reputation: 95
LOL..What!!! You can't be serious!! LOL..If you want to see a bill, have surgery any surgery without health insurance..

Wow, thanks for making my point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 07:09 AM
 
55,121 posts, read 26,337,136 times
Reputation: 6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkid View Post
How many people know of someone that doesn't have health insurance and doesn't want any heath insurance? I personally don't know anybody and don't know anybody that knows anybody that falls into that category.
Thats quite an assumption..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkid View Post
I will venture to say that the percentage of people that fall into this category are extremely small.
There are a few million of US that fall into this category.. Doing the math, the percentage of PEOPLE is extremely small, but the percentage of UNINSURED is in the 10% range (guess using the administrations numbers of 30M uninsured)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkid View Post
This is what the radical right's opposition boils down to. They tried the fake abortion thing but that didn't stick so they went back to the health insurance mandate. The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of the people out complaining about the mandate already have healthcare and the others want/need healthcare. In essence they're arguing against what wont effect them or what will provide them the insurance they need. Just silly.
If you think this is the ONLY argument against national healthcare, then you need to finish school, primarily history, and then come back and repost..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 07:10 AM
 
55,121 posts, read 26,337,136 times
Reputation: 6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkid View Post
LOL..What!!! You can't be serious!! LOL..If you want to see a bill, have surgery any surgery without health insurance..

Wow, thanks for making my point
I have, several of them. 2 broken wrists and hand reconstructive surgery. Might have to go in for a biopsy soon as well. Whats your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 07:10 AM
 
2,797 posts, read 867,083 times
Reputation: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkid View Post
LOL..What!!! You can't be serious!! LOL..If you want to see a bill, have surgery any surgery without health insurance..

Wow, thanks for making my point
Just had surgery on my knee, didn't wish to have it without insurance. That's why I've been carrying it (insurance, that is) for years. To carry insurance I had to pay a monthly bill. Many people who don't have insurance would like to have it if we could just eliminate the part about paying for it. Or get someone other than them to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 07:20 AM
 
301 posts, read 55,454 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats quite an assumption..

There are a few million of US that fall into this category.. Doing the math, the percentage of PEOPLE is extremely small, but the percentage of UNINSURED is in the 10% range (guess using the administrations numbers of 30M uninsured)

If you think this is the ONLY argument against national healthcare, then you need to finish school, primarily history, and then come back and repost..
This happens to be the MAIN argument Republicans in Congress are presenting. That's the only thing they can complain about without giving the bill time to shape and play out without sticking their foot in their mouth as they have done so frequently as of late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I have, several of them. 2 broken wrists and hand reconstructive surgery. Might have to go in for a biopsy soon as well. Whats your point?
Without insurance, unless you're one of the very few independently rich, those surgeries would bankrupt you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Tampa Florida
20,010 posts, read 6,512,774 times
Reputation: 3816
I know several people in that category. Not all, because they can't afford it, but also some who could easily afford some basic level of coverage, but still don't. Some of them, as I suspect several on this board, believe they are impervious to falling victim to the diseases that "those" people get. I kind of thought that myself, until I became one of "those" people. And even though I was well insured, it nearly wiped out my personal assets. What made me feel the worst about the whole ordeal, was losing the bulk of, quite a good nest egg, that was to eventually go to my daughter and grand kids. That has happened to many, many people. But, with this bill, no more. Which is one of the biggest benefits of the bill. Others, feel that even though their lifestyle would almost make it a certainty, when it occurs, they will get care. They are right, they will get care, just that prior to the new law, everybody else would be paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 AM
 
55,121 posts, read 26,337,136 times
Reputation: 6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkid View Post
This happens to be the MAIN argument Republicans in Congress are presenting. That's the only thing they can complain about without giving the bill time to shape and play out without sticking their foot in their mouth as they have done so frequently as of late.
Actually its not the main argument.. where did you get this impression from?

The main argument is that the states cant afford the unfunded mandates and that the federal government has no authority to MANDATE people buy something just because they breath..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkid View Post
Without insurance, unless you're one of the very few independently rich, those surgeries would bankrupt you.
Not even close to being true. Its call knowing that one can call and negotiate a bill with the hospitals and not required to pay the "BILLED" amount..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 07:50 AM
 
76 posts, read 68,233 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually its not the main argument.. where did you get this impression from?

The main argument is that the states cant afford the unfunded mandates and that the federal government has no authority to MANDATE people buy something just because they breath..

Not even close to being true. Its call knowing that one can call and negotiate a bill with the hospitals and not required to pay the "BILLED" amount..
Do you have insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top