Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How likely is secession in 2012 if Obama is elected?
highly likely 12 8.63%
possible 23 16.55%
unlikely 40 28.78%
impossible 64 46.04%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:39 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatermelonRat View Post
If the conservative states need to be taught a second lesson, then so be it. They should know that if they do so, it won't work out any better than last time.
I doubt that. The "conservative states" control most of the agriculture, oil, raw materials, and viable manufacturing left in the Union. The northeast coast is just baggage. Certainly California has valuable agricultural land, but essentially everything they make is produced elsewhere in the US. The "conservative states" really do not need the leftist states at all. In the absence of oppressive leftist regulations, the "conservative states" would do much better without the burden of leftists and particularly thier regulations and costly expenditures. The US would be much better off without the left and right coasts,along with the Union belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 09:40 PM

32 posts, read 23,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Nope, not delusional at all. Who is the motivated voting block right now? The people who are angry as hell with Obama's agenda. Your guys are complacent and won't even show up to the polls. Just look at what happened in NJ, VA and MA. You all sat home. Thanks for that. And that's just the beginning.

Keep pissing people off Obama, it only bodes well for us on election day.
Keep dreaming.

There is a huge difference between races like those in NJ, VA or MA with pathetic turnouts than a presidential election. I remember the right being "motivated" in 1994 when Clinton lost congress. What happened two years later? LOL.

I'll remember to resurrect this thread when President Barack Hussein Obama is sworn back into office.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:41 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1california View Post
I completely agree with you . I think it would be a good thing and it would be a peaceful transition as well , similar to the collapse of the Soviet Union . I would also point out that all of the separate states of the former Soviet Union have benefited immensely from the fragmentation of the former Soviet Union .
I always figured to more local govt is the better. The closer they are to the people the less they can get away with.

What we have now is one monstrous govt that is trying to govern 300 million people. Can't really be done.

I suspect the U.S. will break up. Kinda sad. But hopefully everyone benefits.

I always figured that government has 2 jobs. To punish violence and fraud. Once she gets into other things she commits violence and fraud against her own people -on a grander scale.

And that includes "health care"

Old 03-26-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
This is probably the only way secession of any type will happen. In the near future anyway.

I could easily see the entire economy collapse sometime in the next 10-15 years. If our moey becomes useless then we probably would split into 7 or 8 seperate countries.

That might be a good thing if it happened peacefully.

This is exactly the scenario to which I was referring.

Barry has just guaranteed insolvency. It is just a matter of time. When that occurs, I really doubt that national unrest and anarchy will occur. States will separate and form distinct stable entites without the incumberances of federal debt and the idiocy of liberalism. Common sense and abundant natural resources (as well as effective militaries- the midwestern and western states have essentially all the land based nukes) will do just fine. Despite transient financial chaos, these states would prosper. The liberal, dependent states, on the other hand, might have a little problem.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR10 View Post
Keep dreaming.

There is a huge difference between races like those in NJ, VA or MA with pathetic turnouts than a presidential election. I remember the right being "motivated" in 1994 when Clinton lost congress. What happened two years later? LOL.

I'll remember to resurrect this thread when President Barack Hussein Obama is sworn back into office.

It is quite possible that he will win re-election. That is what I suspect WILL HAPPEN. Given that scenario, along with these likely entities-

1. national healthcare
2. medicare and social security with insured bankruptcy
3. citizenship for illegals
4. cap and trade
5. failure to expand domestic energy and thus support a gateway for alternative energy

-All Obama initiatives, which will bankrupt the states.

Citizens of those states will not passively sit by and allow financial insolvency and anarchy to ensue. They will form separate functioning entities- secession. It will be a cleansing process to eliminate the lunacy of liberalism and infinite deficit spending.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:03 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
This is exactly the scenario to which I was referring.

Barry has just guaranteed insolvency. It is just a matter of time. When that occurs, I really doubt that national unrest and anarchy will occur. States will separate and form distinct stable entites without the incumberances of federal debt and the idiocy of liberalism. Common sense and abundant natural resources (as well as effective militaries- the midwestern and western states have essentially all the land based nukes) will do just fine. Despite transient financial chaos, these states would prosper. The liberal, dependent states, on the other hand, might have a little problem.
Which is why I will probably end up moving to North Dakota or Montana. Even though I hate the cold.

Another thing people don't realize. They say a state can't survive on it's own. They forget D.C. can't survive without the states. They say D.C. gives the states money. They forget that really it's the states that give D.C. money.

I think your right. Some financial chaos then prosperity.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:15 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Oh we have already done it. eat all your genetically altered food from monsanto. from mexico chili and argentina and so forth. i think its so pretty how they dye it to make it look pretty. most Americans dont have a clue.we dont eat that crap. if it was fed to cattle it would be an outrage but you eat it every day. why do you thing most dogs die of cancer? dogfood!

Old 03-26-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Which is why I will probably end up moving to North Dakota or Montana. Even though I hate the cold.

Another thing people don't realize. They say a state can't survive on it's own. They forget D.C. can't survive without the states. They say D.C. gives the states money. They forget that really it's the states that give D.C. money.

I think your right. Some financial chaos then prosperity.

That is quite true. DC has no power, except that which is granted to them by the states. DC has no natural resources, no military, and no inherent wealth. In short, the feds have NOTHING without the citizens.

This administration has lose sight of that simple fact- that the feds are SERVANTS of the people, not masters. We control the real power of the country and need only the will to cut off the feds with the resources we provide them, which they use to control us. DC is just a bunch of buildings with a bunch of idiots in the halls- no power, no money, no military, no resources- NOTHING. All that they have is granted by the good will of the states. And that good will is wearing thin.

Citizens of the US are in general good people who would not submit to anarchy, nor the boot of a tyrant. When push comes to shove (and that shove is nearly here) people will not quietly submit to authoritarian rule from a small group of buildings near the mall in DC and will wake up to the fact that they do not need an authoritarian, destructive central entity to rule thier lives. All of us would be better off without the financial encumberance and dicatorial mandates from a far off entity which has lost contact with the nation. Barry is a wake up call to the nation concerning the dangers of centralized power and the damage that such power, directed contrary to the will of the people, can inflict upon a Union, dependent upon the benevolence and common sense of a central "referee" or authority.

This administration has perverted the purpose of government in the US- to serve the people- and has come to believe that the people need to serve them. This, of course, is the opposite of the principles of the founding fathers and will be corrected in time. No authoritarian or dictatorial power will be able to survive for a long period of time in the US without an ultimate and necessary reaction from people who have become accustomed to living freely. The inherent nature of American has been and will be to pursue independence and freedom, and to defeat and revile against tyranny and direction from a single entity.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 03-26-2010 at 10:26 PM..

Old 04-03-2010, 02:05 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I doubt that. The "conservative states" control most of the agriculture, oil, raw materials, and viable manufacturing left in the Union. The northeast coast is just baggage. Certainly California has valuable agricultural land, but essentially everything they make is produced elsewhere in the US. The "conservative states" really do not need the leftist states at all. In the absence of oppressive leftist regulations, the "conservative states" would do much better without the burden of leftists and particularly thier regulations and costly expenditures. The US would be much better off without the left and right coasts,along with the Union belt.
Well, in your scenario, subtracting the left and right coasts along with the Union Belt, would leave a very lonely region out in the world. A region that most of the world would not be sympathetic too and it would be a vulnerable region because of that.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:18 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,841 times
Secession of what, from what?

It's impossible to answer a poll question that doesn't make any sense.

As far as I know, Texas is the only state that constantly threatens to secede. They've been doing it ever since the state became a part of the USA. Unfortunately I'm stuck in an island of sanity in the middle of Texas and would be forced to move, unless Austin could be kind of like Berlin was to East Germany. We could have our own wall and a heavily guarded road that would connect us to the free world beyond the grip of Tea Party freaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies