Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should we close foreign military bases
Close them all including Iraq and Afghanistan 35 58.33%
Close them all except for Iraq and or Afghanistan 6 10.00%
Keep them open for strategic reasons 20 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:14 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times

Advertisements

Poll coming later. Do a search to see how many places in the world our military is stationed. Remember when Clinton sent troops to Bosnia/Kosovo and said they'd be home by Christmas? They're still there. In fact, we even have bases in places from World War 2 and Korea. I've heard the strategic reasons for those bases but I also know Congress uses the excuse of "visiting the troops" for their taxpayer paid family vacation overseas. All the money those troops are pumping into the local economy overseas could be going to the local economy along our Mexican border and sea port areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 08:18 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Emphatically yes! There are some that need to stay, and I would include Japan and Korea among them due to the N. Korea nutcase, but many can and should come home!!

Bah, can't really vote in your poll since my options aren't represented, but I do think most can be safely closed.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:18 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Poll coming later. Do a search to see how many places in the world our military is stationed. Remember when Clinton sent troops to Bosnia/Kosovo and said they'd be home by Christmas? They're still there. In fact, we even have bases in places from World War 2 and Korea. I've heard the strategic reasons for those bases but I also know Congress uses the excuse of "visiting the troops" for their taxpayer paid family vacation overseas. All the money those troops are pumping into the local economy overseas could be going to the local economy along our Mexican border and sea port areas.
We still have troops positioned to protect West Germany from East Germany. I'd rather have them positioned to Protect California from Baja California

Old 03-27-2010, 08:25 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
It's time for western Europe in particular to fend for itself. It's been long enough and they have the resources. Not to mention I'm tired of smug Europeans lecturing us about our spending priorities -- particularly our defense spending versus our relative lack of a social safety net -- when their safety net is made possible precisely because of our defense spending. It's easy to pay for generous entitlements when someone else is providing the bulk of your security umbrella. If I had my way that free ride would end tomorrow.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:30 AM

Would you be willing to write to your state's senators and representatives on this issue? Propose it as a spending cutting measure as well as a way to introduce tax revenue into state and local economies if those troops are brought home and spend money here instead of overseas.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:51 AM

I found my senator and representative's websites and contacted them both. Below is what I wrote to them.
Please review the number and location of our military bases on foreign soil. We still have bases from WW2, Korea, and Kosovo/Bosnia. Let's work to close those bases and redeploy our troops to our nation's border with Mexico where the drug gang violence is now spilling over into our country. We can also deploy our US Navy from the Gulf of Mexico (including Louisiana) and Pacific ocean areas to help stop drug runners coming from Mexico and Central and South America. By redeploying those troops back to America, we would be doing several things all at once. First, we would be saving taxpayer dollars in this cost cutting measure. Second, we would be using our troops for national defense to protect our borders. Third, we would be pumping tax revenue into local city, state, and federal government instead of foreign governments. And Fourth, we would be sending a message to the world that we are no longer in the business of being the "World's Police".

Old 03-27-2010, 10:36 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,516 times
the money pit gets deeper......how about bases to deal with illegals...HERE.....clean up the good old US of A

Old 03-27-2010, 10:38 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's time for western Europe in particular to fend for itself. It's been long enough and they have the resources. Not to mention I'm tired of smug Europeans lecturing us about our spending priorities -- particularly our defense spending versus our relative lack of a social safety net -- when their safety net is made possible precisely because of our defense spending. It's easy to pay for generous entitlements when someone else is providing the bulk of your security umbrella. If I had my way that free ride would end tomorrow.
This

Old 03-27-2010, 10:48 AM

971 posts, read 1,294,469 times
If we insist on keeping bases in other countries, perhaps we should allow other countries to have military bases here on US soil?

Old 03-27-2010, 10:50 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
If we insist on keeping bases in other countries, perhaps we should allow other countries to have military bases here on US soil?
Like China, so they can protect their interests here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies