U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: R u a pro-gun,a non/anti-gun but non-prohibitionist ,or a non/anti-gun prohibitionist..?
Pro-gun 19 73.08%
Non/anti-gun , but non-prohibitionist... 6 23.08%
Non/anti-gun & prohibitionist... 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:03 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,000,196 times

Advertisements

An interesting thread,to separate the various groups according to their attitude towards guns...
I am especially concerned about clarifying two major groups...

Those who are non or anti-gun because...that's the way they like,but also are liberal/libertarians & against prohibition of guns. They may just want common sense regulations/restrictions...

And the other group,consisted by non & antis ,who are prohibitionists,their true desire is to ban as many guns as much as they can...

Their ideal is a unarmed society,as in Canada & the Continent.

So,let's hear the various arguments,within the TOS...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 02:07 PM

7,526 posts, read 7,232,702 times
I believe strongly in the right to bear arms. I don't own any firearms myself and never will, but we should be able to have them if we want them. I'm also for common sense regulations. Nobody really needs an AK-47 assault rifle or a bazooka.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:08 PM

22,241 posts, read 15,353,194 times
Yes!

Old 03-27-2010, 02:11 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,000,196 times
Bear in mind,the first 2 groups have USA as an ideal system,they want American solutions,the 3rd group has Canada,Mexico,Britain & Europe as ideal systems...& want to import their gun laws in USA...

Old 03-27-2010, 02:18 PM

24,889 posts, read 21,116,544 times
I believe in the right to bear arms. However, I don't think we need fully automatic weapons, or flash guards on, and things of that nature.

I'm not interested in telling people what they can, and can't own. If they are acting stupid with it, take away their right to bear arms though. I don't vote on to many "weapons" issue though, its usually at the lower end of my political radar.

I felt that the lies spread about the Obama administrations goal to outlaw all guns, prior to the election was stupid.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:05 PM

14,297 posts, read 11,696,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I believe in the right to bear arms. However, I don't think we need fully automatic weapons, or flash guards on, and things of that nature.

I'm not interested in telling people what they can, and can't own. If they are acting stupid with it, take away their right to bear arms though. I don't vote on to many "weapons" issue though, its usually at the lower end of my political radar.

I felt that the lies spread about the Obama administrations goal to outlaw all guns, prior to the election was stupid.
Fully automatic firearms are strictly regulated, one cannot just pop into a Big5 and walk out with an M4. "Flash guards on"? I'm assuming you mean muzzle breaks? Just out of curiosity, what is so evil and deadly about a muzzle break, and what other "things of that nature" do you dub to be not needed? As to Obama's total innocence in not wanting to do away with our 2nd amendment I will agree that is not at the top of his list....yet. He has a few other pieces to clip out of the Constsitution before he needs to worry about private ownership of firearms. LMAO, he is thanking ol' Bush, daily, for the Patriot Act. Coupled with the BS panic buying that went on, he is sitting pretty on private arms control, and did not have to do a thing other than drown the ammo makers in government orders, effectively drying up civilian supplies. I have not been able to buy primers for relaoding for quite some time because of this situation, and there ain't no relief in sight. Pretty shrewd actually. Don't kid yourself, this is the most oppressive president and congress in quite a spell,they just sugar coat it well. I never thought it would actually go as far as I see it going, silly me. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. This we will see, sooner than later methinks.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:50 PM

16,993 posts, read 22,327,464 times
The great evil of muzzle breaks is what they do to your ears. I tried one once and stuck it in the closet.

We need to cut out the regulations on silencers and make them more available (the only thing Europe does right with guns IMHO), hearing loss is a major problem with hunters and others who shoot.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:51 PM

16,993 posts, read 22,327,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I believe strongly in the right to bear arms. I don't own any firearms myself and never will, but we should be able to have them if we want them. I'm also for common sense regulations. Nobody really needs an AK-47 assault rifle or a bazooka.
It's not your place to decide need. The Second Amendment was intended to protect military weapons, it's not about hunting. A law abiding citizen doesn't magically turn into a mass murderer if you hand them an AK or a bazooka.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:02 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,613,156 times
I have no problem with responsible people having guns if they want them. I grew up with them in the house and I dont feel a need to have one. I had kept them out when my kids were growing up and just never bought one. But I do respect those who feel they need them for their safety. As for me...I just strip. Scares the hell out of them.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:45 PM

24,889 posts, read 21,116,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Fully automatic firearms are strictly regulated, one cannot just pop into a Big5 and walk out with an M4. "Flash guards on"? I'm assuming you mean muzzle breaks? Just out of curiosity, what is so evil and deadly about a muzzle break, and what other "things of that nature" do you dub to be not needed? As to Obama's total innocence in not wanting to do away with our 2nd amendment I will agree that is not at the top of his list....yet. He has a few other pieces to clip out of the Constsitution before he needs to worry about private ownership of firearms. LMAO, he is thanking ol' Bush, daily, for the Patriot Act. Coupled with the BS panic buying that went on, he is sitting pretty on private arms control, and did not have to do a thing other than drown the ammo makers in government orders, effectively drying up civilian supplies. I have not been able to buy primers for relaoding for quite some time because of this situation, and there ain't no relief in sight. Pretty shrewd actually. Don't kid yourself, this is the most oppressive president and congress in quite a spell,they just sugar coat it well. I never thought it would actually go as far as I see it going, silly me. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. This we will see, sooner than later methinks.
In general, the people I've meet who desire flash guards, and other things to make their guns look more like military weapons, aren't smart enough to enjoy the gun.

I'm all for hunting, I hunt. I've shot military weapons, 5 round bursts, and I've shot guns with "happy switches" installed.

I just don't see them as being needed. However, I oppose legislation that stops these things from being legal.

I guess I'm like a lot of people on the abortion issue. They don't like it, but they don't want to take away someone elses right to own those weapons. Its not a political deal breaker for me though. If a candidate came a long that supported everyone of my political beliefs, except for guns, I'd back them, because the guns just aren't that important to me.

Believe me, my hunting rifles, hand guns, are much better made, and can do far more against infantry troops than the crap I used in the service.

Guys who think that President Obama is going to come to your house, and take away your guns are nuts. If you think your assault rifle wannabe is going to protect you against armies, or planes, and unmanned drones, then you're living in a fantasy world.

My point about "making stuff up" was what the NRA handed out around the last election. They had a 12 point plan conjured up in their mind, and handed it out on letters like it was real to gun owners nationally. None of the things on their "Obamas 12 point plan" were based on reality, and several people debunked it. That kind of thing annoys the **** out of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies