Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:51 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,324 times

Advertisements

The only intelligance lost would be to continue to smoke something that costs 5 dollars a pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 02:59 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I understood where you stated that you gave up smoking but advocate for smoker's rights. My comment was to emphasize that my beef isn't the health or welfare of smokers but the health, welfare and comfort of non-smokers who are forced to breathe in second hand smoke. Where is OUR LIBERTY and FREEDOM which is encroached upon by an inconsiderate smoker? Why does the smoker's liberties more important than the non-smoker's liberties? Although there are some considerate smokers, I have encountered many inconsiderate smokers who really don't give a darn who is negatively impacted as long as they can get their nicotine fix. If the smokers and their advocates can get together and design a way to keep secondhand smoke from reaching the nostrils of non-smokers, we would not be having this battle!
Ah, but where is there left where a smoker can smoke indoors anymore? Not too many places allow it these days. Yes, there was a time when smokers could smoke in restaurants, movie theaters, airplanes, sports stadiums and so on and so on. Now, its even hard for smoker to find a smoking room at a hotel/motel (except in the less expensive places). Here in Colorado, bars even banned smoking...now that is something. And you know, most smokers really don't have a big problem with all this after it was said and done. So they all have to smoke outside now and some places like nutty California are even trying to ban it outside. That is out of control.

So since that is the case, where exactly are you being attacked by second-hand smoke that you can't get away from it?

Old 03-29-2010, 03:09 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,590 times
Smoking is fun. It is a great way to socialize and meet people. I can't tell you how many people I have met outside bars by just having a cigarette with them.

I guess if we were going to use the OP's logic all fat people would be of lower intelligence as well due to it being unhealthy and that food can be addicting as well. Obviously this is not true though.

I really hate this anti-smoking agenda this country is having and its just another personal right being taken away from us all in the name of good health. I hope those that support this cause don't drive cars as they release much more toxins and chemicals into the air than a pack a cigarettes do. Also I hope you aren't taking any medications that could harm your liver, drink, or do anything thing unhealthy. I am not going to let some fat ass mcdonalds eating Americans take my personal rights away.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:24 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Ah, but where is there left where a smoker can smoke indoors anymore? Not too many places allow it these days. Yes, there was a time when smokers could smoke in restaurants, movie theaters, airplanes, sports stadiums and so on and so on. Now, its even hard for smoker to find a smoking room at a hotel/motel (except in the less expensive places). Here in Colorado, bars even banned smoking...now that is something. And you know, most smokers really don't have a big problem with all this after it was said and done. So they all have to smoke outside now and some places like nutty California are even trying to ban it outside. That is out of control.

So since that is the case, where exactly are you being attacked by second-hand smoke that you can't get away from it?
Waiting at the bus stop primarily is my issue. I love living in "nutty" California by the way .

Old 03-29-2010, 05:51 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
*SARCASM ALERT* You need to understand that marijuana smoke is magical and there are no possible negative health effects from it...

In my experience liberals tend to be hostile towards tobacco, but hyper-tolerant when it comes to marijuana. Often to the point of swallowing anything negative said about tobacco and denying anything negative said about marijuana. I have read posts by self-proclaimed liberals on this board which have stated they would like to see tobacco outlawed and marijuana legalized. Now, I have no problem with marijuana being legalized, but I do find it ironic that the same people who whine about "a plant being demonized" cannot see the similarities.
I'm a liberal & I smoke. One of these days I'll quit because the damage to my lungs is obvious. I'm stupid like that though, I do something that I know for a fact is harming my lungs. How dumb is that? Our state will be non-smoking in July & even though I don't go to bars that often anymore I'm knocking on wood that this will be the thing that will make me quit.

Here's my own bizarre pet peeve: I can spend hours in a smoky bar or in my own apartment, but if I'm walking down the sidewalk & someone walking in front of me is smoking, it drives me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-29-2010, 07:19 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
I'm a liberal & I smoke. One of these days I'll quit because the damage to my lungs is obvious. I'm stupid like that though, I do something that I know for a fact is harming my lungs. How dumb is that? Our state will be non-smoking in July & even though I don't go to bars that often anymore I'm knocking on wood that this will be the thing that will make me quit.

Here's my own bizarre pet peeve: I can spend hours in a smoky bar or in my own apartment, but if I'm walking down the sidewalk & someone walking in front of me is smoking, it drives me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!
I've known smokers who cannot stand going into an enclosed place after someone finishes smoking. I guess for them, leftover cigarette smoke grosses them out.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:46 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post

Can't smoke in bars in New York or New Jersey, either. I'm guessing this is pretty much in all states now?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:48 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
I've known smokers who cannot stand going into an enclosed place after someone finishes smoking. I guess for them, leftover cigarette smoke grosses them out.
That's why I don't smoke in my own home. The smell of stale cigarette smoke in a room is gross. I go outside. It also makes me smoke less because I don't want to keep jumping up to go outside in bad weather, either. I get non-smoking rooms in hotels, too. You can always tell which is the smoking floor in a hotel just by being in an elevator when the door opens on that floor!

Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's why I don't smoke in my own home. The smell of stale cigarette smoke in a room is gross. I go outside. It also makes me smoke less because I don't want to keep jumping up to go outside in bad weather, either. I get non-smoking rooms in hotels, too. You can always tell which is the smoking floor in a hotel just by being in an elevator when the door opens on that floor!
In days of yore, I can't recall anyone noticing, or if they did, I don't recall any negative comments.

YouTube - Another CRAZY Cigarette Commercial

Old 03-29-2010, 08:30 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,214 times
Quote:
LOL, yep, I feel that way about my own apartment. Even when I keep my bedroom door closed the smoke seeps in. Sigh, well like I said one of these days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies