Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 06:10 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Last I checked Annie Oakley didnt go on tours to extract money from a bunch of morons that buy her crap for whatever bizarre reason.
She would have, if she could have... Being a democrat, you wouldn't understand times have changed since good old Annie walked the earth....
Today, Annie would be a millionaire, she would be on every magazine cover, every blog sight....
If you can make it up to this century with the rest of us, and realize what is really happening, you will never again support the AH you helped put in the WH...!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 07:07 PM

201 posts, read 235,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Is Sarah Palin trying to become the new Annie Oakley? Her "wild west shows" and stunts don't go over with everyone...Yesterday the "posse" stormed into Searchlight Nevada...like a "rival gang" bent on kicking Harry Reid out of town and out of office...The whole thing was pretty darn silly and ridiculous. I have been "on the fence" towards Harry Reid but the antics that played out yesterday pushed me back towards his "side."

The reality of your post is being overlooked. The hard right's reaction to health care, the bail outs (no matter how dumb they were) and possible ways to mitigate AGW have and will continue to drive voters away from the GOP -- they will either fragment into third party "fewbies" (like Perot and Paul were) or vote Democrat or most-likely realize it's all a sham and stay home.

It's like a large group of collective children taking their "ball" and going home -- except, they didn't bring the ball.

Just their absurd reaction to the health care debate was enough to drive reasonable people away, and even the far right had some good things they could have gotten in the bill if they had acted like men. Instead they stonewalled thinking they can rule again.

Maybe so, but it's like being captain of the political "Titanic."

Old 03-28-2010, 07:37 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,741 times
Annie Oakley was also apparently a champion for women's rights. Does Palin become a champion for anyone's rights except for her teen mother daughter and special son unless some comedian pokes a jab at them? If this woman can use her spotlight status to truly campaign for great issues, it would be a miracle. Instead she warps important causes into her own personal agenda, often triggered to do so only after someone pokes fun at her. Make no mistake, the "left" has a field day with this political celebrity because it's fun and easy. And trying to comprehend why her followers have so much blind faith in her remains a mystery. If Palin would not make such a spectacle of herself , perhaps others wouldn't make such a spectacle of her.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:59 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
She would have, if she could have... Being a democrat, you wouldn't understand times have changed since good old Annie walked the earth....
Today, Annie would be a millionaire, she would be on every magazine cover, every blog sight....
If you can make it up to this century with the rest of us, and realize what is really happening, you will never again support the AH you helped put in the WH...!!!
Yeah I'll make sure to vote McCain/Palin next time so that I can make dumb posts like yours in the future.

She is never going to run for office since she's making way more bank going on speaking tours and feeding people word vomit, directly from the script on her hands.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:43 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Annie Oakley was also apparently a champion for women's rights. Does Palin become a champion for anyone's rights except for her teen mother daughter and special son unless some comedian pokes a jab at them? If this woman can use her spotlight status to truly campaign for great issues, it would be a miracle. Instead she warps important causes into her own personal agenda, often triggered to do so only after someone pokes fun at her. Make no mistake, the "left" has a field day with this political celebrity because it's fun and easy. And trying to comprehend why her followers have so much blind faith in her remains a mystery. If Palin would not make such a spectacle of herself , perhaps others wouldn't make such a spectacle of her.
Very good and valid point. Watched a PBS documentary about her not so long ago. First, I have to say that it is beyond ludicrous to compare Palin to a woman like Oakley. There is no similarity at all. What was the OP thinking? It's like asking if Paris Hilton is the new Eleanor Roosevelt. Apples and oranges.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:16 AM

132 posts, read 89,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Is Sarah Palin trying to become the new Annie Oakley? Her "wild west shows" and stunts don't go over with everyone...Yesterday the "posse" stormed into Searchlight Nevada...like a "rival gang" bent on kicking Harry Reid out of town and out of office...The whole thing was pretty darn silly and ridiculous. I have been "on the fence" towards Harry Reid but the antics that played out yesterday pushed me back towards his "side."

Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Last I checked Annie Oakley didnt go on tours to extract money from a bunch of morons that buy her crap for whatever bizarre reason.

hussein obama already had the position.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:03 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times
I had an aunt who reminds me of Sarah Palin. My aunt could be a big loud-mouth and attention-hog...She acted bratty and defiant out in public and painted herself as a "big shot" and "queen of the hill."...My family always felt embarrassed by my aunt's behavior because we didn't like to put on "shows" or become a "public nuisance." Through the years I realized that my aunt "came on strong" to mask and hide her insecurities....It was all an "act."

Old 03-29-2010, 01:19 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,315,874 times
I think Sarah Palin serves as a champion and role model for women in traditional marriages...and women who are part of traditional churches because women in these situations don't always feel like they have much power in the "larger world."...Sarah Palin seems to reflect their values and beliefs but she is not "stuck at home" playing out traditional female roles with her family and church....She managed to "break free." She has a "strong voice" and a "big spot" in the limelight and this makes her seem like a hero to women who feel "held-back."...Women who have a little more power and status in their lives view Sarah Palin in a very different light.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Palin is Molly Brown.

Reid is the Captain of the Titanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies