Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:28 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You are arguing with someone wwho iis convinced Obama's Emergency Response Team is coming to drag him away to FEMA Camp and turn him into Soylent Green. Why don't you just go find a nice wall to beat your head on
I don't believe that. Thanks for jumping to conclusions though.

I wanna know why we need this?

When was the last time we had an emergency when there was a lack of health professionals there?

They even showed up in Hati. And Hatians are not only poor, they're black.

Why should the govt pay people to do something that is already taken of?

Serious answer please. Not all this assumpition and distraction crap you lefties do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 11:34 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They are not going to be on government payroll, so they are not exactly a 'goverment body'. What is an emergency response team going to do?? Ehhhh, they will respond to emergencies. If you really think there is no need for emergency response teams, then that's your opinion. I am glad we have them.
We already have emergency response teams in this country.

A lot of times when some type of disaster happens private doctors and hospitals take care of it. Free of charge.

So I ask why do we need another federal program that we must pay for to do something already being taken care of for free?

I thought Obama was supposed to be cutting govt waste, not creating it.

I notice you never answer specific questions. You just speak in generalities.

For example, you asked when doctors ever hurt people. The answer was the Tuskegee Airmen and the NAZI doctors. You ignore those answers.

Typical liberal. Can't give an answer so you ignore and change the subject. At least you haven't called me a racist unlike most degenerate liberals.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
My area has a emergency response team that went to work when Rita hit. In consist of all kinds of professional from police to city and schooll bus drivers to doctors ;nurses and EMts.It is coordinated by the county emergency manage team with a director.In my areas it worked very well when Rita struck and has been imporve since. The federal governamnt provides grants to satrt the plans. As I recall they paid 15 million for new orleans to have one before Katrina. The problem was they never implemented much of the plan. Anyone who is a first responder even docotrs have emgerency Identificvation cards that allows them access to areas where the public is not allowed at the time.In Rita for example there were ten thousand electrical linemne alone dispatched to the county. The doctors and nurse part of the team setpu medical factilties to treat anyone of thousands of first responders injuried. i know a guy who broke a leg and had mergency surgery done by one of the teams at a local hospital. But its to be rememeber that the head of thsese is a local offical inTexas at the county level . FEMA is very small organiztion and relys on contractor for their part in relief and normally it takes three days to get the suplioes load and contrctors to start deliveries. The first are gasolihne an diesel to run the equipment necessary. My country actually has tanker trucks that are part oif teh emrgency team that travels and returns with fuel to get the thru the normal three days unitl FEMA contastors arrive.Its impossible for the fedral governamnt to do effective emergency management across the nation which is why local is so important as has been seen in so many disasters and failed in Katrina badly.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:30 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
The current health care bill did not create this entity. It traces it roots back to John Adam's presidency. While we can certainly debate whether it is still needed the idea that it is a creation of the Obama administration is just factual challenged.

As the following report shows it was part of the response to hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

THE COMMISSIONED CORPS’ RESPONSE TO HURRICANES KATRINA AND RITA

http://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-09-06-00030.pdf (broken link)

Background:
The U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, one of seven U.S.
uniformed services, is made up entirely of officers commissioned on the
basis of their health-related training. Agencies within and outside the
Department of Health and Human Services (the Department) employ
Corps officers to provide health care and related services in health
professional shortage areas. In addition, the Secretary of the
Department has the authority to deploy the Corps in response to public
health emergencies. Hence, Corps officers must simultaneously fulfill
their responsibilities to their employer agency and to the Corps.
In August and September 2005, respectively, Hurricanes Katrina and
Rita struck the Gulf Coast. In response to health care and public health
needs in the affected areas, the Corps carried out the largest
deployment in its 207-year history. More than 2,100 officers worked
with State, local, and private agencies in response to the hurricanes.

Since 2003, the Corps has been engaged in a continuous effort to
improve its response capacity. On January 18, 2006, the Secretary
announced the latest phase in this effort, in which the Corps will
increase the number of officers by 10 percent, create a team-oriented
deployment process, and improve the recruitment process.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:10 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I couldn't believe the first time I went to the airport and had to take my shoes off. LOLs. I really thought they were joking.

I'm a white male born and raised in Ohio. Even spent 8 years in the U.S. Army and I gotta take my shoes off to get on an airplane. LOLs.

Liberal insanity.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:13 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:

When was the last time we had an emergency when there was a lack of health professionals there?

Serious answer please. Not all this assumpition and distraction crap you lefties do.
He said, proving my point

Old 03-29-2010, 01:20 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
The current health care bill did not create this entity. It traces it roots back to John Adam's presidency. While we can certainly debate whether it is still needed the idea that it is a creation of the Obama administration is just factual challenged.

As the following report shows it was part of the response to hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

THE COMMISSIONED CORPS’ RESPONSE TO HURRICANES KATRINA AND RITA

http://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-09-06-00030.pdf (broken link)

Background:
The U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, one of seven U.S.
uniformed services, is made up entirely of officers commissioned on the
basis of their health-related training. Agencies within and outside the
Department of Health and Human Services (the Department) employ
Corps officers to provide health care and related services in health
professional shortage areas. In addition, the Secretary of the
Department has the authority to deploy the Corps in response to public
health emergencies. Hence, Corps officers must simultaneously fulfill
their responsibilities to their employer agency and to the Corps.
In August and September 2005, respectively, Hurricanes Katrina and
Rita struck the Gulf Coast. In response to health care and public health
needs in the affected areas, the Corps carried out the largest
deployment in its 207-year history. More than 2,100 officers worked
with State, local, and private agencies in response to the hurricanes.

Since 2003, the Corps has been engaged in a continuous effort to
improve its response capacity. On January 18, 2006, the Secretary
announced the latest phase in this effort, in which the Corps will
increase the number of officers by 10 percent, create a team-oriented
deployment process, and improve the recruitment process.
Notice how they are ignoring the facts you've provided? Oh, well, I guess preferred ignorance is bliss.

Many, many thanks for the research and the sanity checks

Old 03-29-2010, 04:30 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It says 6000, not 600 000.

Show me one instance in history when an army of doctors did something horrible. Coming to think of it, what exactly is it that you fear they might do?

Again like it was said before....Are people going to take the government by it's word because they have always been so trustworthy?

Old 03-29-2010, 04:41 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
We already have emergency response teams in this country.

A lot of times when some type of disaster happens private doctors and hospitals take care of it. Free of charge.

So I ask why do we need another federal program that we must pay for to do something already being taken care of for free?

I thought Obama was supposed to be cutting govt waste, not creating it.

I notice you never answer specific questions. You just speak in generalities.

For example, you asked when doctors ever hurt people. The answer was the Tuskegee Airmen and the NAZI doctors. You ignore those answers.

Typical liberal. Can't give an answer so you ignore and change the subject. At least you haven't called me a racist unlike most degenerate liberals.
Yeah one thing I've noticed on here is that you aren't gonna get through to people who can't actually see that there "ARE" people that are so evil that they only care of money and their own butt being taken care of, and they will put people into death camps if that is what it takes...History can repeat itself...what most of these people don't get is that "us"/people like you and me aren't stupid and think it's like that now but we know from history that if you let a government gain too much control or power that it can destroy the country we had/have....

they ask but why would my own government do that? or they say that can't happen here because i grew up in America where we had Doogie Howser and Saturday Morning cartoons on when we were growing up...well me and you are just people taking precaution, and actually seeing the progression of all this security and control being taken by taxing more and more things...we are the people who ask where is this all leading to, and they are the ones who say well i walked outside today and nothing bad happened so it's all gonna be fine

Old 03-29-2010, 06:55 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:

By that comment, I guess you mean local health care professionals?

You've never been around a major disaster, have you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies