Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:45 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
To me there is just way too much of everything. Too much production, too much consumption, too much transport, etc. The amounts of materials, oil, products and so on that are shipped around the world every day is simply scary.
And I'm afraid sooner or later we will have to decide what is more important to us, health or business
What happens when there are no businesses to provide services to the people? Are we all going to go out and hunt for our own food, stick fish in the rivers?

Or maybe you were suggesting the Marxist approach of killing off half the population for the betterment of mankind? It didn't seem to work out so well for Mao and Stalin. Though, I guess we can see if it will work this time. Whats millions of people starving though right? As Mao said "Let them learn to eat less".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 11:47 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,377,353 times
Quote:
To me there is just way too much of everything. Too much production, too much consumption, too much transport, etc. The amounts of materials, oil, products and so on that are shipped around the world every day is simply scary.
And I'm afraid sooner or later we will have to decide what is more important to us, health or business
uhm....without busniess, there is no health.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:03 PM

223 posts, read 169,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
uhm....without busniess, there is no health.
???

Ever been to Bali or some of the tropical islands?
I think they'd disagree with you.
Or are you talking about your seemingly limited knowledge of what works in the rest of the world?

Old 03-31-2010, 12:04 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,738,024 times
It is not all or nothing. As I said, in my view there is just way too much of anything we do because of business. I see no point in all the dealing, producing, and consuming. Most of what we do has no deeper sense.

There are miners dying just because they are digging up some rare materials to be used in play stations. I can't see any point in that...

Old 03-31-2010, 12:44 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
I can't see any point in Playstations.

Nomander - I think I met your straw man yesterday. He didn't make any sense then either.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:32 PM

I just read that a parliament commission that has investigated Climategate in the UK, has - despite some criticism of the publication policy - not found any proof of manipulation.
Since this thread is about Germany, here the link

Old 03-31-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I can't see any point in Playstations.

Nomander - I think I met your straw man yesterday. He didn't make any sense then either.

That's funny, because I met your claim of a straw man of my argument the day before that. It was obviously fallacious and without merit. /boggle

Old 03-31-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
It is not all or nothing. As I said, in my view there is just way too much of anything we do because of business. I see no point in all the dealing, producing, and consuming. Most of what we do has no deeper sense.

There are miners dying just because they are digging up some rare materials to be used in play stations. I can't see any point in that...
So, you have a subjective opinion as to what you think is acceptable and what you do not think is acceptable and believe that your subjective opinion should be... what?

Mandated? Given attention? What?

And if we choose not to listen to you? What then?

Old 03-31-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieMame View Post
???

Ever been to Bali or some of the tropical islands?
I think they'd disagree with you.
Or are you talking about your seemingly limited knowledge of what works in the rest of the world?
So there are no businesses in Bali? Are you sure you want to commit to that?

Also what tropical islands are you referring to?

You do realize what a business means right? It is a profession, an occupation or a trade. Kind of like... lets see... farming? You know, when that farmer goes to the market and trades his goods to get other goods? Catching on yet?

Old 03-31-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
So, you have a subjective opinion as to what you think is acceptable and what you do not think is acceptable and believe that your subjective opinion should be... what?

Mandated? Given attention? What?

And if we choose not to listen to you? What then?
Why IF? Most humans ARE acting wrong in my view. I can't change that, but at the same time I have a clear conscience because I have told my opinion on many occasions. If others think the opposite and maybe as a consequence destroy the world, it is not my fault. There have been so many discussions on these topics around the world, nobody can say later on they did not know about it. All they can say is they did not want to know.

My subjective opinion is my subjective opinion, which is just as subjective and thus as right or wrong as yours and anybody else's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies