Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 07:07 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times

Advertisements

the westboro baptist church is a disgrace to american society...

they are so disgusting I can't even think about them right now without daydreaming of every last one of them in one of their buses running through a guard rail and off a cliff...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 07:27 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
They'll sue you and win.

However, if you let a skunk out and the skunk sprays on its own accord....
Only if they caught me! There are many tall buildings in Manhattan, would be hard to immediately determine from which window the magic potion was dropped, heh heh heh.

But...got a skunk I can borrow?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:31 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
The KKK have not protested at a funeral of a fallen soldier (or have they?).

The New York Times is dying and this is not Canada. Nothing is settled.

Your link says nothing of our military and the legislation enacted to protect our fallen soldiers and the protesting at their funerals. Is there other legislation specific to how far and at what time etc... All the court will have to do is increase the amount of feet that protesters must be from the funerals (I think 72 miles should do it).

Fighting words are not protected under free speech and that's what was presented from the Westboro Baptists.

I know your not saying it's OK what they did but attempting to defend actions with constitutional law.

I believe the Supreme Court will uphold the first court's decision. Hopefully they will also increase the distance these "people" need to be away from a soldier's funerals.
That's what they do now at the 9/11 WTC memorial. For the past couple of years they've been a couple of blocks away so that the families of the dead are out of earshot of their verbal abuse. They were able to do that by citing security reasons, I believe. Probably also traffic and safety concerns because of the WTC construction site, which would be a legit reason.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:31 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,988 times
The first amendment ought to cover a fist to the head as a protected form of counter expression.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:19 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,244 times
The first amendment is a double edge sword. Believe me it sucks what the Westboro loons did.

Freedom of speech is protected for all of us...if we remove it for one group we disagree with, then what prevents it being removed for the rest of us.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
No, but some defend their right to do so including the ACLU. It's amazing that this group has managed to get two opposing groups, liberals and conservatives, to both hate them together. Liberals because this group hates gays and conservatives because this group protest military service members' funerals.
I would just say that no liberal I know hates them because they hate gays, they hate what they do to the families at the funerals. I know a couple who are "Kennedy"
liberals and they don't think the protestors should be anywhere where they can be seen or heard by the families.

They claim to be Christians. No Christian I know either conservative, moderate or liberal would ever think to disrespect a fallen soldier or their families.

Bless Bill O'Reilly for stepping in!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:04 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,073 times
If you wish to help the family here is a link to the American Legion page where they have updates on the situation and a link for those who would like to donate to help the family.

Put yourself in his dad’s shoes « BurnPit (http://burnpit.legion.org/2010/03/put-yourself-in-his-dad’s-shoes/ - broken link)

Old 04-01-2010, 09:33 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
So how many of the right wing legal theorists of the "loser pays for filing the frivolous lawsuit in the first place" school are cheering for this outcome?

I've heard O'Reilly and Hannity both claim that "loser pays" is a great way to shut down these horrible "plaintiff's lawyers". Well the family had a "plaintiff's lawyer" (probably some da** liberal who donates to the DNC) and they lost. Has either Hannity or O'Reilly mentioned this fact in the last couple of days? I haven't been watching news on this because this is the kind of issue that generally generates more heat than light, like on here.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:49 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,576 times
It's going to be interesting to see how the Supreme Court rules in the fall on this case. I'm all for free speech but since this group has no clue as to what common decency is maybe they need to put into place a plan that keeps this group or any group protesting how far away they can be during the visitation and funeral. And in fairness, any group with signs showing support. Too bad because sometimes that's the only way people can express their gratitude.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:00 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
So how many of the right wing legal theorists of the "loser pays for filing the frivolous lawsuit in the first place" school are cheering for this outcome?

I've heard O'Reilly and Hannity both claim that "loser pays" is a great way to shut down these horrible "plaintiff's lawyers". Well the family had a "plaintiff's lawyer" (probably some da** liberal who donates to the DNC) and they lost. Has either Hannity or O'Reilly mentioned this fact in the last couple of days? I haven't been watching news on this because this is the kind of issue that generally generates more heat than light, like on here.
The family initially won a multimillion dollar decision in court and then an appeals court "reversed" it which both O'Reilly and Hannity reported on.

The attorneys are working pro bono according to new's sources.

It will go on to the Supreme Court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies