Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:13 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
No one is talking about the most serious issue of the day, to many people being born. The population of the earth has doubled in my lifetime to over 6 billion. Most of them are being born in places people make less than a dollar a day and clean water is in short supply.

I wonder what God and Mother nature have in mind for the people on our planet. Eventually the huge population will be a super crisis and there will be huge wars and death. Couldn't people just have less babies?
Hopefully Darwin will take care of it. That is if we leave him alone to do his work.

As you say, more children are born to parents who can least afford any children. Many of them are killing each other or dying off of starvation and disease in spite of our best efforts to prevent it.

This is 'Mother Nature' at work. I really doubt that there is much we can do about it. It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature and in most cases you simply cannot. Hypothetically, if we were to somehow be able to 'save' all of these folks in third world countries and poverty stricken areas of developed countries who Darwin says should perish their numbers would grow to a tipping point beyond which there would not be enough productive citizens of the world to support them all. It's a losing proposition. It cannot be done.

Darwin will win in the end.

- Reel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 04:23 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
The problem is population decline, not growth.
The problem is a population decline of the productive citizens of the world and a population explosion of citizens who cannot even produce what they need to survive. This situation will take care of itself. Hopefully it will happen before the first world countries become third world countries. That is the real danger.

- Reel

Old 12-07-2009, 04:36 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
To those self-described high minded, progressive types, it's your basic third worlder types and Islamics that are really upping the worlds birth rate.

How are you going to deal with that in a high minded, PC way? Blame Bush/Cheney/Halliburton/Palin/Fox News/Rush/Hannity/Beck/O'Reilly?

Last edited by doc1; 12-07-2009 at 05:28 AM..

Old 12-07-2009, 05:06 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
You are exactly right, the countrys with the largest population growth are the economic super powers of tomorrow!! Conversly those with declining populations will be at their mercy and subject to being taken over culturally by the largest influx of immigrants as in hispanic or muslim!
Europe is celebrating their decline and extinction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-3X5hIFXYU

Here in America we're working on it real hard.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:46 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
No one is talking about the most serious issue of the day, to many people being born. The population of the earth has doubled in my lifetime to over 6 billion. Most of them are being born in places people make less than a dollar a day and clean water is in short supply.

I wonder what God and Mother nature have in mind for the people on our planet. Eventually the huge population will be a super crisis and there will be huge wars and death. Couldn't people just have less babies?
Plagues, pestilence, natural disasters, flooding, an asteroid or two....

Old 08-17-2011, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,004 times
Population decline as a problem - Wednesday, August 17, 2011

It's so interesting to read what some people are coerced into believing when they accept as fact anything they hear in church or in the newspaper. Those who want to learn more about reality and truth typically consult a wide range of reasonably objective resources, not just a handful of opinionated entities.

The relevant example is the belief that global overpopulation is not an issue, and alternatively, that population decline is actually the real problem. (According to this forum and other sources, there are people who actually believe this.)

By the way, there are much worse things to believe; for instance, Michele Bachmann and her supporters might believe that the Founding Fathers of the United States worked tirelessly to abolish slavery (obviously not true in any way)!

It's quite true that the population of some nations is on the decline; however, it is not true that such declining populations represent any kind of real problem for the planet overall.

Populations with negative growth numbers do have some legitimate concerns, such as future tax revenues, the cost of caring for an aging population, the destiny of their country, etc.

I am betting that most people who say that overpopulation is a fantasy and that under-population is a real problem, also believe that a talking snake caused the downfall of mankind, or that the universe was created less than 10,000 years ago in six literal, 24-hour days.

It's entirely possible that I have misunderstood what I've read and that you don't actually believe underpopulation is a serious global issue; however, for those that really do believe underpopulation is a problem, I have a couple of questions.

" Ozarks21 - When you say that flying in a plane reveals vast unpopulated areas, does that mean you'd prefer to see all areas populated?

" Are the generally accepted population statistics wrong? (Example: the population clock at [url]http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html[/url])

" How many is too many?

" Do you believe that man should continue procreating (regardless of any population issues) because of religious beliefs?

On the other hand: To those who DO believe underpopulation is a more serious problem than overpopulation, I strongly support your right to believe this, just as I support your right to believe and follow whatever religion you want.

Peace,
S

Last edited by sfrasier; 08-17-2011 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: HTML problems

Old 08-17-2011, 10:18 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
Quote:
How will Mother Nature/God limit the out of control population increases on Earth?
AIDS was a good start.

But I'm afraid to see what nature will unleash on us next if we keep polluting and raping her land unabated.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:33 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
next year 7 billion and counting,, believe me there is enough people on this planet

the earth will rid itself of the pest that infest it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies