U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 PM

18,819 posts, read 8,665,725 times

Advertisements

Wow. If this is what's facing the nation, I am very worried. It's long been known that numbers can be carefully manipulated to misrepresent the facts. But why bother doing that when you can just make them up out of thin air?

Well, yesterday Michele Bachmann was offering up a lot of very big numbers. And by "offering up" I mean "making up." And by "big" I mean "fabricated." Here's just one of Michelle's statistical fantasies: "Now we have the federal government taking over ownership or control of 51 percent of the American economy. This is stunning. Prior to September of 2008, 100 percent of the private economy was private." OK. I think Michele Bachmann's goal is to make the rest of us as confused as she is. On their website, CBS felt obliged to say "Ms. Bachmann offered no facts to back up her assertion that the government owns or controls 51 percent of the U.S. economy." That would because the numbers have nothing to do with the facts. Michele's numbers need an asterisk beside them. And if you look up the note with the asterisk it will say "numbers based on whatever was flitting around inside Michele Bachmann's skull."

But she was just getting warmed up...

Journal - Randi Rhodes
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 02:25 AM

15,147 posts, read 6,549,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Wow. If this is what's facing the nation, I am very worried. It's long been known that numbers can be carefully manipulated to misrepresent the facts. But why bother doing that when you can just make them up out of thin air?

Well, yesterday Michele Bachmann was offering up a lot of very big numbers. And by "offering up" I mean "making up." And by "big" I mean "fabricated." Here's just one of Michelle's statistical fantasies: "Now we have the federal government taking over ownership or control of 51 percent of the American economy. This is stunning. Prior to September of 2008, 100 percent of the private economy was private." OK. I think Michele Bachmann's goal is to make the rest of us as confused as she is. On their website, CBS felt obliged to say "Ms. Bachmann offered no facts to back up her assertion that the government owns or controls 51 percent of the U.S. economy." That would because the numbers have nothing to do with the facts. Michele's numbers need an asterisk beside them. And if you look up the note with the asterisk it will say "numbers based on whatever was flitting around inside Michele Bachmann's skull."

Journal - Randi Rhodes

well, the feds do take claim to 60% of all the land in Utah.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:00 AM

21,113 posts, read 9,886,017 times
Quote:

Journal - Randi Rhodes

Since you've concluded that the 51% number was incorrect, what percentage of the economy does government own or control?

I'll wait...

Old 03-30-2010, 04:26 AM

2,106 posts, read 476,950 times
"Literally, if we took away the minimum wage—if conceivably it was gone—we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level." —Michele Bachmann

Old 03-30-2010, 06:01 AM

20,359 posts, read 7,491,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
"Literally, if we took away the minimum wage—if conceivably it was gone—we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level." —Michele Bachmann
I'm wondering, does Michele own a Plantation?

Old 03-30-2010, 06:59 AM

6,865 posts, read 3,930,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post

so she's saying..let employers set their own minimum wage? Yeah...we'll wipe out unemployment and those very same people will move over to welfare.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:21 AM

4,061 posts, read 1,970,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Since you've concluded that the 51% number was incorrect, what percentage of the economy does government own or control?

I'll wait...

Let's wait for you to tell us exactly what percentage of the economy the government owns...since you seem to question the op as if they are incorrect in their assertion.

We'll wait...

Old 03-30-2010, 07:39 AM

21,001 posts, read 12,290,466 times
Quote:

Journal - Randi Rhodes
Michelle Bachmann is a scourge...an evil, mentally mishsapen abomination that thinks the Census will lead to internment camps. She advocated against filling out the form...thanks, MichellePig, if we all did that MY district would receive less funding...(the Repig Bachmann is my rep)

Michell(Joe McCarthy) Bachman wanted her fellow congressmen investigated for making un-American statements(I guess MichellePig would be the judge who decided just what an un-American statement IS )

I have never seen a so-called American hate Americans as much as Bachmann...truly a walking piece of stench.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:47 AM

5,145 posts, read 3,980,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

I'll wait...

Oh, it's easy. first you put a 1 then next to it you put a slash. Then next to that you put a 6! Then you'll have your answer...what???!!! You can't do fractions? Ok. Well, then you divide 1 by 6...what? Ok...get your calculators out, I'll wait.

Ready?

Divide 1 by 6....yes, 1 then the divide sign, then push the number 6...then the equal sign...yes the button with the two lines one on top of the other...yes...push it.

And there...there is your answer? WHAT???!!! you can't do percentages either? Fine...I'll just tell you because obviously you need a voucher.

16% my friend...NOT 51%, no where near it. And for Mrs. Bachmann's information...the economy has never been anywhere near 100% private. Try 35-38% private.

Facts...the darn things just get in the way of good talking points don't they?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:07 AM

2,665 posts, read 2,348,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
And for Mrs. Bachmann's information...the economy has never been anywhere near 100% private. Try 35-38% private.
hmmmm. 100-35 = 65% are you suggesting she was overly conservative with her numbers?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies